"Paid" or "Premium" software on the forums

Discuss issues and requests related with the forum software
Masonjar13

Re: "Paid" or "Premium" software on the forums

17 Mar 2017, 17:02

To be clear, this is about promoting such things, not about them taking place. If you are PM'd a request to do something for compensation, there's nothing wrong with that. If you're actively trying to freelance by, for instance, PM'ing someone about their help thread, offering to write it for pay, or making a post dedicated to promoting the fact you do such, that would/should be against forum rules. This is a forum for learning, and any payment talk should be restricted to PM's and only if it's brought up by the person requesting assistance.

If you are requested to do something that is too time consuming, stating something like, "I would need payment due to the amount of time it would take" would be acceptable. I believe there is indeed a very fine line here.
My Personal Function Library | Old Build - New Build
just me

18 Mar 2017, 03:44

Masonjar13 wrote:This is a forum for learning, and any payment talk should be restricted to PM's and only if it's brought up by the person requesting assistance.
I think that's disputable. As an example:
  • Some user posts a restricted version of a tool and adds 'If you have suggestions PM me'.
  • Some user sends him a PM asking for additional features.
  • The answer is: 'Hi mate, you're lucky. A have a premium version you can buy for $$$ already supporting this feature'.
Would it be acceptable?
tank

18 Mar 2017, 07:03

just me wrote:Would it be acceptable?
Not even a little
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
evilC

18 Mar 2017, 16:08

What about something like Class_DD? (Requires network connection, paid version to remove).
Yes, it's on GitHub, but only the compiled DLLs and the AHK interface, so part of it is closed source (ie the part that "phones home" will not be in the open source bit)
nnnik

18 Mar 2017, 16:18

evilC wrote:What about something like Class_DD? (Requires network connection, paid version to remove).
Yes, it's on GitHub, but only the compiled DLLs and the AHK interface, so part of it is closed source (ie the part that "phones home" will not be in the open source bit)
This is a wrapper around an API delivered by a third party. This third party is monetizing it's API. This has pretty much nothing to do with our site or the wrapper around that API itself. Same goes for any Scripts automating any kind of paid product or Excel/Office COMObjects.
Recommends AHK Studio
tank

18 Mar 2017, 17:17

+1 nnnik
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
joedf

18 Mar 2017, 18:57

About Uskin/etc..
Well, it's a wrapper to something that is paid... this is similar to the case of an opensource plugin for something like sublimetext....
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]

Return to “Forum Issues”