===============
- Go to the search page which lists all your posts:
AutoHotkey Community - Search
https://autohotkey.com/boards/search.ph ... 6&sr=posts

- Retrieve the links from each 'Jump to post':
e.g. https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic ... 87#p148287

- Convert them to the Edit post page:
e.g. https://autohotkey.com/boards/posting.p ... 3&p=148287

- Open each page, and extract the innerText from the 'message' element.
===============

Is there a better way, e.g. more direct, or a way that causes the minimum load on the website? Cheers.

[EDIT:] Basically I save them as UTF-8 text files, where the filename is something like '12 12345 123456.txt'.
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
joedf

Re: backup forum posts

17 May 2017, 18:05

Unless you have db access... not really...
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
jeeswg

17 May 2017, 18:09

Thanks, well I like to do this every so often. I could do it manually, although some methods were detecting bot-like activity and blocking me. What I might ask is let's say, I have about 1000 posts, I did all 1000, what time gap should I put between retrieving each page, or can I just do it as rapidly as possible. Is one user repeatedly checking pages a burden on the system, or a drop in the ocean. Btw if you'd prefer to give any information by DM, that's fine. Cheers.
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
joedf

17 May 2017, 18:28

If you do get blocked... Simply send me an email. And I will unblock you
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
jeeswg

17 May 2017, 18:41

Thanks for your response, I'll put in a delay of some seconds. By 'blocked' I meant putting in certain urls and navigating to them, didn't work, and there was some text saying you didn't have access to it, but then it would work if you did it manually. Ironically, some of the workarounds for automating this, that I've considered, may put more of a burden on the website (than if you could access those urls directly).

Anyway, backing up posts every few months, is useful (e.g. for searching posts, and if I accidentally overwrite a good/big post), and I don't have hard copies of a vast number of my posts. Plus, past and recent forum issues and the fact that one of my posts has been 'eaten' and is currently irretrievable does make me a little edgy. Many thanks for your work and Tank's work. Cheers.

[EDIT:] Btw we don't see you or Tank too much on the main forum, right? Plus, you're more on the French forum I think. Cheers again.
Last edited by jeeswg on 23 May 2017, 09:05, edited 2 times in total.
joedf

18 May 2017, 14:33

No, I've just been quite busy with work. But I'm still here! ;) I can always be reached by email.
tank

18 May 2017, 19:18

I just dont post alot
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
Flipeador

18 May 2017, 19:22

tank wrote:I just dont post alot
LOL. We definitely need to have a voting system in comments. :lol:
jeeswg

24 May 2017, 06:53

Great response Tank.

Btw I've backed up all my forum posts now.

Return to “Forum Issues”