comment out text in a forum post

Discuss issues and requests related with the forum software
jeeswg

comment out text in a forum post

16 May 2017, 05:38

Is there a 'comment' tag, for invisible comments that aren't shown in a post?

E.g. to remind me *not* to make a correction to a post that I would normally make e.g. add url tags.

Didn't work: [size=mycomment][/size]

Using the 'size' and 'color' tags has drawbacks.
;COMMENT - HELLO WORLD

A user would be able to see the hidden comments if they clicked on the quote button, that's fine.

Note: I have a solution using the 'font' tag in this post, but any other ideas would be welcome. It can't handle certain characters but is more or less good enough, unless there are better suggestions. You can see the comments if you click the quote button.
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
nnnik

Re: comment out text in a forum post

16 May 2017, 06:26

Is there a 'comment' tag, for invisible comments that aren't shown in a post?
This is not among anything I can imagine what the forum should be used for.
Recommends AHK Studio
Exaskryz

16 May 2017, 19:16

You can make an alternative with a browser addon - and AHK might even be able to write files that that addon reads for you.

I'd consider using Scriptish or Greasemonkey or whatever personal JS manager you want, and then throw an Alert("Don't add URL tags") when you navigate to the Edit URL, which would be for you in this case https://autohotkey.com/boards/posting.p ... 3&p=148338 I believe. (I just took my edit URL for this post, and modified to match your post ID). That way, when the edit page loads, you'll be reminded why you don't want to make a change.

I imagine a worry with hiding things within a post that could be accessed by quoting is attempts to secretly share information that may break the rules of the board.
joedf

17 May 2017, 18:26

This seems malicious.

Proof of concept: START Secret message. END
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
jeeswg

17 May 2017, 18:45

Yes, I don't like the invisible text method either, but one of my techniques actually avoids this, if you press the quote button on my original post and take a look at the top of it.

Btw I have some other queries in 'QUERIES' here:
Tips for using the forum. - AutoHotkey Community
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29007
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA

Return to “Forum Issues”