Other languages: further forums

Discuss issues and requests related with the forum software
jeeswg

Other languages: further forums

01 Oct 2017, 21:58

After noticing a request for a link to an old Italian translation of some AutoHotkey help information, and a request to write a guide to AutoHotkey in Japanese. It reminded me of the idea of whether AutoHotkey should add further forums for key languages such as: Japanese, Italian and Portuguese.

This would help encourage the growth and flourishing of AutoHotkey around the world, and would help unleash and support the inventiveness of these countries.

Some statistics on language and the Internet.
The 6 languages we have at present, plus the 3 I suggested, would give the top 9 languages worldwide.

Languages used on the Internet - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages ... e_Internet

Based on the 'Content languages for websites' table, the top 9:
1 English 51.6%
2 Russian 6.6%
3 Japanese 5.6% <<<
4 German 5.6%
5 Spanish 5.1%
6 French 4.1%
7 Portuguese 2.6% <<<
8 Italian 2.3% <<<
9 Chinese 2.0%

LINKS:
AutoHotkey Community - Information
https://autohotkey.com/boards/#nav-footer
AutoHotkey Community - Other languages
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=38
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
nnnik

Re: Other languages: further forums

02 Oct 2017, 02:10

Even if there are many people speaking that language that doesn't necessarily mean that they will end up in our community. I don't see a particular high amount of posts in any of the other language forums.
Recommends AHK Studio
runie

02 Oct 2017, 06:37

Wouldn't this include finding people who speak that language that wants to actively mod that section?

Same applies for our Discord server; I wouldn't mind having more language channels but you need people moderating them.
tank

02 Oct 2017, 08:34

less an issue of interest and more an issue of established members as MODS for those languages. as content providers, we are somewhat responsible for what goes on on our forum. Moderating forums in those languages necessarily requires we have Moderators in those languages
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
Gio

02 Oct 2017, 12:38

As a native portuguese speaker, i can see a lot of benefits to the AutoHotkey language in creating a dedicated portuguese forum. The mainstream programming languages i know of all have their dedicated portuguese forums and AutoHotkey does not (yet). In the past, the absense of a dedicated forum has made it quite hard for me to tell the people i know that it was indeed worth it to study the AutoHotkey language (even though i keep on trying every once in a while). Lastly, i would have no problem offering some of my time to mod portuguese language dedicated forums if needed be.

Another thing to keep in mind: A quick look at some of the language dedicated subforums reveals that the number of posts has been increasing over time. The percentage of increase should be a better indicative of their "success" rather than the total number of posts (keep in mind this work is a start from scratch, we cannot bluntly compare it to the english version of the AutoHotkey forums, which has been around for more than a decade).
joedf

02 Oct 2017, 20:00

I definitively agree with Portuguese. I know MasterFocus is from brazil or something and gio :+1:
For Japanese, we lack the mods for now.

I am interested in what everyone has to say.
Gio has a point, and yes. the other languages i've added are growing. Slowly, but surely :)
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]

Return to “Forum Issues”