Why are my recent posts marked as solved? Topic is solved

Discuss issues and requests related with the forum software
Micromegas

Why are my recent posts marked as solved?

23 Nov 2017, 08:10

In two recent posts, I wrote that in my experience, I could not use the "Accept this answer" feature, neither on my own posts in this Forum Issues forum, nor on anybody else's posts in the "Ask For Help" forum. Strangely, I noticed shortly thereafter that both these posts are now marked with the checkmark icon, with my own question marked as the accepted answer. Was that some mistake I did or is someone fooling with me?

Posts in question:
joedf

Re: Why are my recent posts marked as solved?

23 Nov 2017, 14:31

Please refrain from posting the same post multiple times. :)
The "Marked as solved" is only enabled to standard registered users in certain areas. The forum issues is restricted to staff as these are meant for, naturally... the staff. ;)
It is possible that someone might have clicked it by mistake or as a sign?
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
Micromegas

23 Nov 2017, 19:27

joedf wrote:The forum issues is restricted to staff as these are meant for, naturally... the staff. ;)
Interesting. This is the first time I hear of that distinction. I had always thought this was a website like other community websites, where there are users and admins, with admins usually just users with some more rights. What is the "staff" thing here? Has this been written down anywhere? Where do you get the information that this forum is only for staff? How can one tell if someone is a staff member? Are you one, joedf?
joedf wrote:Please refrain from posting the same post multiple times. :)
Which post did I post multiple times? Three of my recent posts are related, but they have different topics. This post is about the question why a number of posts are marked as solved. The other two were about individual feature requests.

This question has obviously not been answered. Joedf's reply even repeats the same question that I asked to begin with, just reworded and with "Is it possible ..." prepended. I don't think you meant this as a solution, did you, Joe?

It is therefore not correct that this post, too was marked as solved. Who did that? From joedf's question it is clear that he, too doesn't know who it was, so it can't have been him. What person in their right mind would do such a thing over and over and not speak up? Is that maybe some bug?
joedf

23 Nov 2017, 23:48

WOAH! I don't know why my last post was marked as solved... I unmarked it... maybe there is a bug... I dont know... hmmm :think:
So as a direct answer to your question: I don't know. It is either by mistake, or there is a bug. :?

Don't worry about the multiple posts, mods have already removed the duplicates. :+1:

Staff refers to any moderator, spam officer or administrator.
Which is listed here: https://autohotkey.com/boards/memberlist.php?mode=team

Yes, I am part of the staff. I am a manager of the AHK foundation.
The distinction is not meant as a privilege barrier, simply the people who maintain and keep this website and community going.
You can read more about the foundation, how things are and history:
https://autohotkey.com/foundation

cheers :)
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
nnnik

Re: Why are my recent posts marked as solved?  Topic is solved

24 Nov 2017, 01:12

Your recent posts were marked as solved because I did.
I think it showcases why normal generally less trusted users don't have the forum rights to change those things.
Recommends AHK Studio
Micromegas

24 Nov 2017, 02:39

Thank you, joedf, for answering my off-topic questions. Now they raise some questions regarding the restriction of this Forum Issues forum. Where would be an appropriate place for me to ask them?

Thank you, nnnik, for finally letting us know why the posts were marked. But why anyone would do such a thing remains a riddle. It seems you see a showcase here that nobody else can see. It's not even clear in "I think it showcases" what you mean by "it". The repetition of an action that leaves everybody scratching their head could be seen as a showcase for untrustworthy behavior. You don't mean that you did that just to create a showcase, do you?
nnnik

24 Nov 2017, 05:45

I mean to showcase what would happen if we let everyone mark topics as solved.
And yes indeed it is to showcase untrustworthy behaviour. We do trust our users to a certain degree however we are not stupid.
You remain anonymous and can't be traced back that easily right now when you change something in the mark as solved feature.
That makes it easier for humans to do bad stuff with it.
If we let users use and modify it without constraints then it would loose it's worth.
Recommends AHK Studio
Micromegas

24 Nov 2017, 06:12

Thank you for your quick answer. For me, this closes this topic, and I would mark your reply with the checkmark, if I could.

The question about trust, and what level works best on a forum like this, is very worthwhile. I feel it pertains directly to my request Allow users to mark topics as resolved also on this forum, which became even more relevant thanks to this showcase experience. Unless you have a better location, I would like to continue the discussion there.

Return to “Forum Issues”