+1 feature on the forum

Discuss issues and requests related with the forum software
mshafer1

+1 feature on the forum

13 Jun 2018, 13:35

It would be nice to be able to either +1 on helpful posts, or give credibility to helpful posters on the forums.
Flipeador

Re: +1 feature on the forum

13 Jun 2018, 14:21

I absolutely agree to add +1 to comments, but under one condition, users who vote positively should be publicly visible, otherwise, it would not make any sense, that is, because a positive vote from a new user usually does not have the same "importance/credibility" as, for example, a positive vote from an admin, mod or experienced/well-known user.
Maybe the profile of the user could show the number of topics that he has "solved".

Edit: I want to clarify that I am against negative votes -1.
Helgef

13 Jun 2018, 14:35

-1. I very much dislike these kind of statistics, which are often mistaken as a ranking. I vote remove post count instead.

Cheers.
gregster

13 Jun 2018, 14:41

So far, I am quite happy that this forum doesn't use this kind of "features".
nnnik

13 Jun 2018, 14:44

gregster wrote:So far, I am quite happy that this forum doesn't use this kind of "features".
+1
Recommends AHK Studio
Flipeador

13 Jun 2018, 14:56

I do not think it's that bad, sometimes you do not feel like making a comment to say "I agree", then you just give it a positive vote, if you do not like it just ignore it.
Anyway, it is not urgent or important, but I agree that it would give more "life" to the forum.
Do not be so bitter :D
nnnik

13 Jun 2018, 15:07

It's not about being bitter. But I dont quite see the point.
If you want to partake in a discussion and make a valid point then just say so.
If you want to gain information about the feelings of the majority create a poll.
Why does every post need to be judged by a majority vote?
Recommends AHK Studio
Flipeador

13 Jun 2018, 15:14

If you want to partake in a discussion and make a valid point then just say so.
I agree. But why not both? Sometimes there is nothing more to say, and in order not to repeat the same, you simply give a positive vote.
Regarding the rest, it seems to me very exaggerated, I do not agree.
gregster

13 Jun 2018, 15:26

Flipeador wrote:Sometimes there is nothing more to say, and in order not to repeat the same, you simply give a positive vote.
So... positive reactions result in upvotes and negative reactions in posts (even if they all repeat the same)?
Flipeador wrote:[...]a positive vote from a new user usually does not have the same "importance/credibility" as, for example, a positive vote from an admin, mod or experienced/well-known user.
I would rather judge the content itself than try to make an analysis of the quality of the upvotes.
Exaskryz

13 Jun 2018, 16:10

I would use a +1 at times. It'd be my way of saying "This post is quality", "It helps the user", "It is a great example", "It uses a good technique", etc. without bumping a thread.
Flipeador

13 Jun 2018, 16:17

So... positive reactions result in upvotes and negative reactions in posts (even if they all repeat the same)?
I do not think it is negative reactions, but constructive comments. Negative comments do not have to be tolerated, nor positive comments "just because yes", unless it is some kind of thanks. Positive votes can be used as a thank you or when you are in complete agreement and you do not have anything more to say (All the arguments have already been said).
gregster

13 Jun 2018, 16:33

It already gives me the shudders... these systems automatically change the ways of social interaction, if you want it or not... and I don't know any forum with these "features" that I like better than this one, so far, or that I would consider more helpful. Hence, I say no.
jeeswg

13 Jun 2018, 16:42

- I wouldn't want my +1s to be public. (I.e. people can see what I 'liked'.)
- 'Why did you praise me? What do you want from me?'
- 'Why didn't you praise me?'

- After many minutes it suddenly occurred to me what the dark side of +1s are.
- +1 can be used in the worst way possible.
- Dogpiling. Person A insults Person B. Lots of people +1 Person A's comment. Even worse if the +1s are public.

- I had thought that +1s on a user's page could be good. A general +1 for the user as a whole. A maximum of 1 +1 from each user.
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
Flipeador

13 Jun 2018, 16:51

The votes must be public, what worries you? What do you hide? They must be totally honest, fair, transparent. If you hide something, just do not vote and that's it. This is also important to avoid the abuse of positive votes, otherwise they would not have as much importance.
Edit: Your attitude seems a bit immature to me.
Edit2: I do not know what you're talking about, why should we tolerate insults?, that is not allowed. I would never vote a insult, even if it was directed at my worst enemy. Insults and wars do not lead to anything good, you have to take it seriously, there is nothing dark in a positive vote.
gregster

13 Jun 2018, 17:23

Flipeador wrote:Your attitude seems a bit immature to me.
I don't see this as immature, but have you been to the internets recently?
I think all these social networks work mostly on narcissism, insecurity and immaturity - and upvotes are a large part of the fodder that fuel their essential social processes.
I can understand that most people are already used to these systems, but it would be great if we could resist these mechanisms.

Feedback is great (positive and constructive), but why break everything down to numbers instead of a personal comment? Numbers are not the same as words.
Flipeador

13 Jun 2018, 17:29

You are very wrong, the problem is not the votes, but the type of users. And yes, his comment is a bit immature.
gregster wrote:Feedback is great (positive and constructive), but why break everything down to numbers instead of a personal comment? Numbers are not the same as words.
You do not seem to understand the real purpose of this. Nobody said that. Exaskryz described it very well.
gregster

13 Jun 2018, 17:40

Oh, great, if we have some other type of users here, let's just try something different here, without upvotes.
You do not seem to understand the real purpose of this.
It is not the alleged purpose that I criticise, but the real effects that will occur and that can be observed all over the internet. Upvotes change how people interact - you can call me immature for this observation, but then you are wildly out of touch :D
Flipeador

13 Jun 2018, 17:49

You are comparing pears with cows. I never called anyone immature, I said the comment sounded a bit immature, and besides, I never referred to you.
Edit: You are comparing social networks with millions of users, with AutoHotkey.com. In addition, the type of users, as I mentioned, is different.
Edit2: I do not think that a voting system causes so much drama. I think you're exaggerating this too much, maybe you hate social networks, and that's why you're so defensive.
gregster

13 Jun 2018, 18:02

Well, you doubled down. No need to insist on something like this without further arguments (if at all).
But ok, then we seem to be on the isle of the blissful, totally disconnected from the rest of the internet and human behaviour in general (this thread might be already a small proof against it, though :shh: )... and they lived happily ever after.

Edit: I have seen it in smaller forums, too. It is not a matter of size, but of human nature.
Edit2: Perhaps you are just a little to careless in endangering something that works.
Flipeador

13 Jun 2018, 18:08

Haha you made me laugh (I do not say it in a bad way). I think I have already given my arguments, and they seem fair enough. If you do not agree, well, I respect it.
Edit: I do not try to ruin anything, but to improve and make the forum more user-friendly.
Edit2: In the end the most important thing is to have fun and have a good time, it's nice to know that someone has voted you positively.

Return to “Forum Issues”