Discuss issues and requests related with the forum software
Nextron

Re: Feedback: phpBB forum interface switch

21 Oct 2018, 14:32

It doesn't happen with each approval.

Code: Select all

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/filesystem/filesystem.php on line 838: is_link(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/var) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/sentora/hostdata/zadmin/public_html/autohotkey_com:/var/sentora/temp/)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/filesystem/filesystem.php on line 875: is_dir(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/var/) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/sentora/hostdata/zadmin/public_html/autohotkey_com:/var/sentora/temp/)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/filesystem/filesystem.php on line 880: is_file(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/var) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/sentora/hostdata/zadmin/public_html/autohotkey_com:/var/sentora/temp/)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/filesystem/filesystem.php on line 838: is_link(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/var) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/sentora/hostdata/zadmin/public_html/autohotkey_com:/var/sentora/temp/)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/filesystem/filesystem.php on line 875: is_dir(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/var/) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/sentora/hostdata/zadmin/public_html/autohotkey_com:/var/sentora/temp/)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/filesystem/filesystem.php on line 880: is_file(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/var) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/sentora/hostdata/zadmin/public_html/autohotkey_com:/var/sentora/temp/)
tank

22 Oct 2018, 08:32

Thank you
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
SpeedMaster

24 Oct 2018, 11:52

There's nothing wrong with having a dark theme. I think the current theme is a bit old-fashioned and needs to be refreshed. Dark themes are more popular and less painful to the eyes at night (don't forget that forums are consulted in the evening that' s why hackers and players forums have a dark theme). For example, the RPG forum has a smooth transition to the dark theme. You can choose between a completely dark theme (at night) or a theme with only the banners in black (during the day). (I really like this concept :clap: 8-) ). For those who are not convinced, give it a try...

https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.ph ... eta.85635/

cheers,
CyL0N

24 Oct 2018, 12:45

SpeedMaster wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 11:52
There's nothing wrong with having a dark theme. I think the current theme is a bit old-fashioned and needs to be refreshed. Dark themes are more popular and less painful to the eyes at night (don't forget that forums are consulted in the evening that' s why hackers and players forums have a dark theme). For example, the RPG forum has a smooth transition to the dark theme. You can choose between a completely dark theme (at night) or a theme with only the banners in black (during the day). (I really like this concept :clap: 8-) ). For those who are not convinced, give it a try...

cheers,
:thumbup: ,That Dark Them Looks Sooo Good,and a Dual Theme is ultimately the best idea,me thinks :!:
live ? long & prosper : regards
SpeedMaster

24 Oct 2018, 12:56

CyL0N wrote:
,That Dark Them Looks Sooo Good,and a Dual Theme is ultimately the best idea,me thinks
here's another one Dark Github very beautiful. :shock: :bravo:

https://cquanu.github.io/github-dark/

Cheers,
kczx3

24 Oct 2018, 13:01

SpeedMaster wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 12:56
CyL0N wrote:
,That Dark Them Looks Sooo Good,and a Dual Theme is ultimately the best idea,me thinks
here's another one Dark Github very beautiful. :shock: :bravo:

https://cquanu.github.io/github-dark/

Cheers,
A very good example of most modern dark themes.
burque505

24 Oct 2018, 14:33

Just to put in my two cents (or maybe $0.99):
Dark themes are not easier on my eyes. I'm betting others will concur.
The theme linked at github makes my eyes hurt almost immediately, as do "digi" and company.
This is not a matter of esthetics for me. I don't care how modern dark themes are. For me it's a matter of eye care.
I'm not a gamer; I usually visit the forum during daylight hours, and if I do visit at night the lights are on.
Regards,
burque505
joedf

24 Oct 2018, 15:35

We have both. The users can pick. All Digi themes are dark.
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
SpeedMaster

24 Oct 2018, 15:50

CyL0N wrote:
a Dual Theme is ultimately the best idea,me thinks
joedf wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 15:35
We have both. The users can pick. All Digi themes are dark.
The only problem that remains to be solved is to find a way to switch easily between these two themes. :think:
Just like the RPG forum does so well...

Cheers,
joedf

24 Oct 2018, 16:41

You can use the style url parameter, like so
Digi: https://autohotkey.com/boards/index.php?style=7
SimplicityOld: https://autohotkey.com/boards/index.php?style=17
I could add a switcher ?
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
SpeedMaster

24 Oct 2018, 17:05

joedf wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 16:41
You can use the style url parameter, like so
Digi: https://autohotkey.com/boards/index.php?style=7
SimplicityOld: https://autohotkey.com/boards/index.php?style=17
It works very well, thank you for this valuable information. :D
I could add a switcher ?
that would be a very good idea. Just a little button or icon in the header and that's all.
burque505 wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 14:33
I'm not a gamer...
Apparently not only players like dark themes but also developers :think:

Why Developers Prefer Dark Coding Themes ?
https://medium.com/@tigranbs/why-develo ... 0cbf9d8900

Cheers
burque505

24 Oct 2018, 17:38

Taken from here ...
There has been a lot of research on this topic since the 1980s and a lot of it still holds true today. One study from the 1980s states this:

However, most studies have shown that dark characters on a light background are superior to light characters on a dark background (when the refresh rate is fairly high). For example, Bauer and Cavonius (1980) found that participants were 26% more accurate in reading text when they read it with dark characters on a light background.

Reference: Bauer, D., & Cavonius, C., R. (1980). Improving the legibility of visual display units through contrast reversal. In E. Grandjean, E. Vigliani (Eds.), Ergonomic Aspects of Visual Display Terminals (pp. 137-142). London: Taylor & Francis

The reason why this matters is because of focus. As this article on UXMovement states, "white stimulates all three types of color sensitive visual receptors in the human eye in nearly equal amounts." It causes the eye to focus by tightening the iris. Since the eye is focused, dark letter forms on light backgrounds are easier to read. When using a dark background with strong light letter forms, the iris opens to allow more light in, but that causes letter forms to blur. Why?

People with astigmatism (approximately 50% of the population) find it harder to read white text on black than black text on white. Part of this has to do with light levels: with a bright display (white background) the iris closes a bit more, decreasing the effect of the "deformed" lens; with a dark display (black background) the iris opens to receive more light and the deformation of the lens creates a much fuzzier focus at the eye.

Jason Harrison – Post Doctoral Fellow, Imager Lab Manager – Sensory Perception and Interaction Research Group, University of British Columbia

Now there seem to be varying factors into contrast and legibility. Room ambient lighting. Brightness of the monitor. Also you can mitigate the straining effects of white (#FFF) on black (#000) by simply lessening the contrast like using a light gray (#EEE, #DDD, #CCC) on a dark background (#111, #222).
See also this article.

All this aside, I certainly don't mind everyone having a dark theme available (or fifty), as long as I myself can pick one that doesn't hurt my eyes or otherwise irritate me. ;)

Regards,
burque505
CyL0N

29 Oct 2018, 01:26

Simplicity Old is broken,it's missing CSS, just putting it out there... I was enjoying the past....
live ? long & prosper : regards
nnnik

29 Oct 2018, 02:36

Yeah a recent attempt at fixing the Code box has gone wrong.
Recommends AHK Studio
burque505

29 Oct 2018, 07:53

I now have no theme at all, apparently what I was using is now dead. Can't reach my settings to try another. Any suggestions?
I'd upload a PNG but that option doesn't exist for me as it stands.
Regards,
burque505
Gio

29 Oct 2018, 08:26

burque505 wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 07:53
I now have no theme at all, apparently what I was using is now dead. Can't reach my settings to try another. Any suggestions?
I'd upload a PNG but that option doesn't exist for me as it stands.
Regards,
burque505
The same happened to me. SimplicityOld is not getting loaded at all at the moment. I woke up today to find a completely white board with losen paragraphs and words. To solve it, i followed JoeDFs solution above: set the forum style to Digi using a link (https://autohotkey.com/boards/index.php?style=7) and than move on to your user controle panel -> board preferences to change the forum theme to Digi for good.
burque505

29 Oct 2018, 08:31

Thanks, Gio, that was fast. I followed your suggestion and I can read the forum again :)
Regards,
burque505
nnnik

29 Oct 2018, 10:16

Currently we are unable to access the forum Administration settings with regards to the style settings.
Someone with direct server access will probably have to restore this.
Recommends AHK Studio
nnnik

29 Oct 2018, 10:22

No I mean the administration panel is giving me a PHP error too.
If I had to guess this is due to switching to old backups.
Recommends AHK Studio

Return to “Forum Issues”