Forum irregularities

Discuss issues and requests related with the forum software
Relayer

Forum irregularities

01 Nov 2018, 12:37

Would it be possible to get a concise statement regarding the irregularities of the forum application lately and the prognosis moving forward? I see bits and pieces but really don't know what is going on or what to expect. The interface has been so well-behaved for a very long time it is interesting how things can get so goofy.

Thank you.
Relayer
nnnik

Re: Forum irregularities

02 Nov 2018, 03:36

From what I have gethered the recent irregularities stem from the following problems:
phpBB had a major update - which among other things - made it necessary to switch the PHP Version our server is running.
Thats not the sort of update you do in a single day and just for fun.
Additionally we have many plugins and customized plugins that will ned updating for this new version of PHPbb.

So we delayed this update quite a bit - while waiting for a good time to switch.
tank and joedf are currently the only people who are able to modify the forums.
An update like this is not possible in a short time with just 2 people. Add the problem that tank only has time during the weekends and our problems regarding time become even bigger.

With time a service that we had been using went out of service - that is recaptcha v1. recaptcha v2 is only available for the new PHPbb version that we did not have.
We used a bad captcha instead that can be solved by pretty much anyone automatically.
This increased steadily until it finally became so much a few weeks ago that I had to say that we might need to close registration and guest posting a few weeks back.

Additionally the forum was also showing signs of aging and had a few bugs here and there.
In short it was time for the new update.

This update happened and was done rather chaotic due to tanks own timelimit.
A few problems arose in the next few days with the new recaptcha plugin - so we had to switch to the old captcha.
Most of the old styles did not work at all anymore - so joedf fixed them.
Our codebox plugin is not maintained at all anymore and does not work with this new version of phpBB.
A few of our customized plugins need updating.

Timeplan: idk but expect something to happen every weekend.
Recommends AHK Studio
joedf

02 Nov 2018, 08:35

tank has sent weird file permission for security, but that can cause some problems with phpBB...
right now the captcha is not working, and something about we are not using it because of File_get_contents() or something being a no-no...
I hoping to possibly implement something for codeboxes this weekend.

Did you manage SSH yet or a login? There might be some inbound IP limitations as well... :/
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
nnnik

02 Nov 2018, 08:55

No I haven't tried again - I'm currently sick at home and have to try to finish a uni project of mine.
After that I will see what I can do.
Recommends AHK Studio
joedf

02 Nov 2018, 17:24

Oh! Wish you a quick recovery and good luck !
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
Relayer

05 Nov 2018, 13:18

Thanks for the update; that helps a lot. I admire you guys and all the work you do to keep AutoHotkey open to sharing ideas and scripts. I depend on this site a lot and enjoy using it. Good luck on getting things back to normal.

Relayer
joedf

05 Nov 2018, 23:03

Thanks for the encouragement. Phew, so many things!
I've got some considerable amount of things to do outside of ahk too, currently temporarily locked out; Can't make any changes, because of the invalid captcha...
Relayer

19 Nov 2018, 08:58

I just noticed that if I go to the forum boards without being logged in, I get the very nice original layout of the forum in my browser. But, once I log in the format changes to something functional but not visually pleasing. Is this expected? I'm using FireFox.

Relayer
nnnik

19 Nov 2018, 09:23

Once you login the design you set in the User Control Panel will be activated.
The design that is activated when you are not logged in is called Simplicity - it should also be the default design.
You can change this setting in the User Control Panel -> Board Preferences and in there set My Board Style to a design you like.
Recommends AHK Studio
Relayer

19 Nov 2018, 09:56

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! It's good to get back to the "Simplicity" style!

Return to “Forum Issues”