Will the developement of AHK v2 be continued ...

Discuss the future of the AutoHotkey language
just me

Will the developement of AHK v2 be continued ...

17 Nov 2017, 05:30

... and is there any timeline for a beta release?
zcooler

Re: Will the developement of AHK v2 be continued ...

17 Nov 2017, 07:24

Why dont you continue it if you are unhappy with the timeline/progress ;) You are more than qualified to do so and have the time. Right now I suspect lexikos wouldnt mind very much, since his motivation seem to be all time low (or other stuff has happened in his life that makes continued development less prioritized). So fire away just me :D
guest3456

17 Nov 2017, 10:54

i would think HotKeyIt would be qualified as well. whether or not he wants to: that is another question

just me

17 Nov 2017, 11:00

Hi zcooler,

"Why don't you continue ..." is not an answer to my question. Also, especially you should know that I'm not able to do it.
guest3456

17 Nov 2017, 11:08

HotKeyIt continues to develop AHK_H v2:
https://github.com/HotKeyIt/ahkdll/commits/alpha

Lexikos was active on github 21 days ago responding to Issues, and merged a bugfix from HotKeyIt last month:
https://github.com/Lexikos/AutoHotkey_L/commits/alpha

just me

17 Nov 2017, 11:16

I did not ask for AHK_H as yet.
derz00

17 Nov 2017, 11:37

@nnnik has tinkered with v2 in his spare time.
try it and see
zcooler

17 Nov 2017, 16:31

just me wrote:"Why don't you continue ..." is not an answer to my question. Also, especially you should know that I'm not able to do it.
Yes, im aware of your feelings on the subject and the only person abled to answer your question is lexikos himself of course. I dont know what the silence of lexikos stands for. Just wanted to say it might be plausible he is ready to drop the whole thing, but anguishes about dropping/annunciate "the bomb", which, if there is going to be a v2, requires other highly skilled developers taking over (there isnt many of you in here). Nice to see nnnik and HotKeyIt are working proactively in case of previously described scenario becomes reality :)
just me

17 Nov 2017, 17:24

I don't know why everybody who posted an answer as yet did it. For me, these answers seems to be like techniques for Riding a Dead Horse
zcooler wrote:Why dont you continue...
Already answered.
guest3456 wrote:i would think HotKeyIt would be qualified as well. whether or not he wants to: that is another question
Yes, another question.
derz00 wrote:@nnnik has tinkered with v2 in his spare time.
Do you see any results?

Pure speculations are not answers.
nnnik

17 Nov 2017, 17:59

We just need more than a few people. It's a lot of code and I haven't understood a lot of it yet - that being said I haven't spend a lot of time on this matter since my spare time just vanished.
I feel that we should get more people to actively develop AHK that is if we want to make AHK a long lasting product that we all can enjoy and be content with.
Recommends AHK Studio
guest3456

18 Nov 2017, 09:14

just me wrote: Pure speculations are not answers.
you might want to raise a GitHub Issue in the AHK_L repo. lexikos just responded there yesterday

zcooler

18 Nov 2017, 10:06

nah...forget about enforcing answers when there is no monetary investment done. It just doesnt work that way if you are doing things as a hobby and on your spare time. That goes for lexikos and HotKeyIt as well. Progress comes when motivation is high..simple as that. It is just as hard getting these kind of answers from paid software developers...so it might be a "dead horse" you wanna dismount, but I wouldnt bet on it. Time will tell.
nnnik

18 Nov 2017, 10:35

zcooler there are several people that would be willing to continue AHK if Lexikos were to stop developing it.
AHk definitively is anything but a dead horse.
Recommends AHK Studio
derz00

18 Nov 2017, 17:22

Where are those willing people now? Is something hindering them from doing anything? Not that I think they better would, I'm curious what you mean.
try it and see
DaveT1

16 Mar 2018, 16:58

Hi,

I'm about to get a little more time to spend doing enjoyable things...like tinkering with AHK scripts :D.

But as only an occasional dabbler I've only just tripped across the whole v2 concept and thread. V2 seems a very laudable effort to me, and I think would help me, as a very poor programmer, to do better scripting.

Unfortunately I'm far from being able to offer any practical help with v2, other than to cheer from the sidelines. So my (very respectful) question is - should I embark now with v2 and make the switch, or is that to jump the gun and I should stick with existing v1?

Many thanks for any thoughts.
derz00

16 Mar 2018, 17:19

If you do, you might have to bear with, deal with any breaking changes that might be still coming. I don't know how much more this will happen, but it is likely not never.

There are a couple converters around that would help you switch your scripts. Might be a good chance to improve things too. :) I know I would have a lot of things to improve if I ever convert my scripts, because of how much I have learned since I wrote them. One reason why I don't feel like doing it. :D
try it and see
jeeswg

16 Mar 2018, 18:47

- There were some comments made here:
Starting a new project, but with which AHK version? - AutoHotkey Community
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43993
- For me, if I wanted to learn more about AHK, I would look at all kinds of existing scripts, and they're mostly written in AHK v1, so I would stick with that for the time being. I might look at the documentation's command index, for commands that I don't know, or at general lists of good scripts for anything that interested me. I might also look at the tutorials section (e.g. RegEx, which is used across programming languages, is good to know).
best utilities + best AutoHotkey scripts (+ useful tips) - AutoHotkey Community
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28149
- My main interest in AHK v2 at this point would be to know what changes are coming so that I could write scripts in a way that will be easier to convert, more forwards compatible. I wrote a library that allows you to use AHK v2 functions in AHK v1, it might be advantageous to use at least some of those functions now (although some may still change before the final AHK v2 release) e.g. DateAdd/DateDiff/WinGetList/WinGetControls/WinGetControlsHwnd.
commands as functions (AHK v2 functions for AHK v1) - AutoHotkey Community
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic ... 37&t=29689
- I wrote a list summarising conversion issues to be aware of, and there is also the official information, that explain how AHK v2 is different from AHK v1.
AHK v1 to AHK v2 conversion tips/changes summary - AutoHotkey Community
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic ... 37&t=36787
AutoHotkey v2
https://autohotkey.com/v2/
To understand what's changed might be daunting to some, I'd describe the change essentially as replacing commands with functions, the error handling/script parsing has improved, and there are other nuances described in the links. One key addition is that you can use ' ' as well as " " when assigning text.
- So in conclusion, AHK v2 is good to know about it in detail, although I'd write in AHK v1 for now. You can easily convert AHK v1 scripts to AHK v2 at a future date, although using one or two of the AHK v2 functions custom backports to AHK v1 for now could definitely be an advantage.
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
DaveT1

19 Mar 2018, 07:54

Thanks derz00 and jeeswg for your helpful comments and pointers to other info. Of course being a bad programmer I do reach out to the community and they are always extremely helpful (thank you), but I guess that this might reduce if I was asking v2 Qs just 'cos the number of people using it are fewer (at least initially).

OK, I think I'll stick with v1.1 for now and keep a better eye on v2. I saw in one of jeeswg's links that better compatibility will be achieved if I use := for assignments and = for comparisons, and by using built-in functions rather than commands. We'll I'm their with assignments and comparisons, but probably could do (a lot) better by making more use of existing functions....note to self to be more consistent (and read you summary of tips / good v1.1 practices jeeswg).

Thanks again to you both.

Return to “AutoHotkey Development”