system hotkeys that can't be overridden

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
jeeswg

system hotkeys that can't be overridden

30 Jun 2017, 17:57

I'm interested in any system hotkeys that can't be overridden by AutoHotkey, especially if there are any new hotkeys on Windows 8/Windows 10 that can't be overridden. Cheers.

On Windows 7 these hotkeys cannot be overridden by AutoHotkey AFAIK, you see the MsgBox but the PC also does it's usual actions of logging you out or showing a special screen.

Code: Select all

#l:: ;win+L
^!Del:: ;ctrl+alt+del
MsgBox, % A_ThisHotkey
return
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
jeeswg

Re: system hotkeys that can't be overridden

18 Jul 2017, 17:30

Is this still true?
Overriding Hotkeys
https://autohotkey.com/docs/misc/Override.htm
You can disable all built-in Windows hotkeys except Win+L and Win+U by making the following change to the registry (this should work on all OSes but a reboot is probably required):
==================================================

It appears that you can override Win+U, with a normal hotkey. Tested on Windows 7.

Note however, this seems to work fine on my Windows 7 PC, to override Win+U, although I may have changed some setting somewhere:

Code: Select all

#u:: ;win+u
MsgBox, % A_ThisHotkey
return

q::
Run, C:\WINDOWS\system32\osk.exe
return
Btw with the Win+U hotkey above in effect, if I try to run On-Screen Keyboard, it doesn't open, and the hotkey is triggered.

[EDIT:] It appears you can override Win+L, by editing the registry. Tested on Windows 7.
- It involves this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System.
- By setting DisableLockWorkstation to 1 this disables the Win+L hotkey, the LockWorkStation dll function, the 'Lock' Start menu option, the 'Lock this computer' Ctrl+Alt+Del option. Tested on Windows 7.

Wanna override Win + L? - Scripts and Functions - AutoHotkey Community
https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/9573 ... ntry638771

[EDIT:] So AFAIK, you can override any system hotkey in Windows 7, by simply assigning that hotkey in AutoHotkey, except for Win+L and Ctrl+Alt+Del. Although for Win+L there is a way to override that to.
Last edited by jeeswg on 04 Nov 2017, 13:02, edited 4 times in total.
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
jeeswg

30 Oct 2017, 22:41

So overriding alt+tab in Windows 8/10 is a problem now? Anything else new?

01 Nov 2017, 03:13

jeeswg wrote:So overriding alt+tab in Windows 8/10 is a problem now? Anything else new?
Where do you get this from? No problems here replacing alt+tab with your Alt-Tab or other AutoHotkey Alt-Tab scripts for example. (Latest Windows creators update running here)
jeeswg

01 Nov 2017, 03:59

I can't test this as I don't have Windows 8. Cheers.

Need some help with a window switching script! - Ask for Help - AutoHotkey Community
https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/1225 ... ntry691584
Because Windows 8 protects the use of Alt+Tab, you need to circumvent that. I found that running the Window Switcher program is best. You should be able to do this to switch the window and then dismiss the Window Switcher.

02 Nov 2017, 06:38

No problems on Win 8.1 either with Alt-Tab window switcher scripts - Either it was the case and is no longer due to Windows updates or because of UAC on/off (don't know)

Observation: current Windows 10 (creators update): All AutoHotkey hotkeys are blocked when Taskmanager is active - also reported here which I found odd but learned its true after testing it https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic ... 52#p179752
Noesis

02 Nov 2017, 08:22

jeeswg, #g in windows 10 does it's native function also (Open Game Bar).

You can turn off the game bar in windows 10's settings so that particular hotkey doesn't do anything, but essentially you can't block windows from seeing it, you can only stop it from doing something when it occurs.

Edit: FYI, I was/am talking about without the registry modification.
Incidentally I actually can block #u by just using that hotkey within AHK... so I dunno, perhaps there is a setting somewhere for that one ?, for me it opens settings to Ease Of Access page without having the key mapped in ahk.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”