Re-Installation Problems with AHK

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
tstory

Re-Installation Problems with AHK

23 Mar 2016, 02:32

I have an issue that I cannot seem to resolve with AutoHotKey, I had it running successfully and then I had a hardware failure that resulted in the replacement of the power supply, the graphics card, and repair of the power button.

The result of the hardware failure was that the OS, Windows10 had to reinstalled clean since it corrupted the OS so badly that it could not be restored.

When I attempted to reinstall AHK, it seemed to install, but I have been unable to get it to run in order to write a script for the simple tasks that I was using it for prior to the crash.

It says in the instructions that after it is installed to start writing scripts that are simple and straighforward, to right click on the desktop, then select NEW, and then AHK script. Then it is supposed to open Notepad to write the script and rename it to an AHK file type.

That would be good if there was an available NEW AHK script option, but there is not, and I don't see any alternative to that to start the script writing process.

This computer is an ASUS MB with Win10, 4 GB of ram and a terabyte of drive space. It doesn't have a lot on it and there is plenty of space available for whatever I want, but I have been unable to figure out how to use AHK at all since the harware failure.

I have unistalled and reinstalled a few times with the same result each time, no availability of AHK to use for scripting.

Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks.
lexikos

Re: Re-Installation Problems with AHK

23 Mar 2016, 03:46

Make sure you are installing AutoHotkey (running the installer), not just extracting files from an archive.

I have never known setup to fail to create the "New" menu item, and cannot think of any reason it would fail on a clean install of Windows 10.

You don't need the "New" menu item to create scripts, nor to create any other kind of file. There are numerous ways to create files. For instance, you can open Notepad and then save the file as "whatever.ahk" (including quote marks). However, if you haven't installed AutoHotkey, you won't be able to run the script by double-clicking it.
tstory

Re: Re-Installation Problems with AHK

22 May 2016, 01:42

Well, I still can't open a file for editing with the NEW command by right clicking the desktop clear space, but I did write a script using notepad and it did execute, although not exactly the way I expected. It is a really useful utility and I would like to use it for those simple tasks that require a specific set of keystrokes, but I can see that I will need to spend a lot more time that I have so far to implement it properly. Thanks for your answer, and I apologize for the length of time that it has taken me to get back to you.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”