f5 key keyboard backlight reassignment

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
petitepirouette

f5 key keyboard backlight reassignment

25 Jun 2016, 12:37

Hey!

I have an HP envy laptop that uses the f5 key to toggle the backlights on my keyboard but my f5 key no longer works and I am unable to enable/disable the lights when I need them. I tried out using

^\::Send, {VK_F5}
or
^\::Send, {f5}

etc etc and it does work to enable my f5 key but it performs what fn+f5 would usually produce on my laptop as opposed the just plain f5.

Usually when I hit the f5 key it doesn't run a browser refresh, it just toggles the backlight.
So yeah, my questions is: how do I reassign my keyboard backlight key to ^\ without getting it tangled with f5 key functionality?
Shadowpheonix

Re: f5 key keyboard backlight reassignment

27 Jun 2016, 14:33

Is that backlight toggle a hardware function, or does it require software be running in Windows to enable it? If it is a hardware function, I am afraid you are out of luck. If it is a software function, what software does it use, and does that software have any sort of interface that you can interact with?
charlottejane3

Re: f5 key keyboard backlight reassignment

22 Sep 2017, 10:29

You can reboot the laptop and enter the BIOS settings menu. In some sub-menu, there is an option to enable fn mode so you don't need to press fn + whatever key to toggle volume controls.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”