Fn keys on dell xps 13

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
babzezz

Fn keys on dell xps 13

21 Jan 2017, 09:37

What I'm trying to do:
I want to have many new keyboard shortcuts / key combinations without them affecting Windows 10/and or existing apps functions. Therefore I tried to map the Fn key, didn't work, so I tried to use the CapsLock key as the ScrollLock key (which seems to be able to function as the Fn key, given it comes from an external keyboard, see explanation below).

I know that the Fn keys on laptops are usually problematic to use with programs such as autohotkey since (as I've read somewhere else on the forum) they are usually sending commands out on a deeper level of the system, below the OS. I tried to see if the fn key is sending any keystrokes but the autohotkey script history doesn't show anything. So using a scan code seems to be out of question.

There might be another way though, since I'm using the dell xps 13 2015 (9350), and in the bios settings there is the option to use the Scroll Lock key of an external keyboard as the FN key. In the bios there is a setting that roughly says this (although it is saying a PS/2 keyboard but since there is no PS/2 port on the laptop, I assume a generic usb keyboard might also work), and I've turned that on.

As you might have guessed, simply mapping the ScrollLock to a key doesn't seem to work, now the real question:
The deep driver that handles this seems to be able to differentiate between a real usb keyboard and the autohotkey input.
Is there a way to simulate a USB keyboard and use "its" scrolllock key to assing to another key? I've found something regarding HID Emulator (https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/4460 ... -emulator/) but I have no idea if I'm on the right way and how to proceed. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

(Btw, I haven't tested with a real USB keyboard, so I don't know if it does really work, I'm only relying on my interpretation of the BIOS setting).
nimareq

Re: Fn keys on dell xps 13

16 Aug 2018, 07:07

If you find anything, let us know.

There is a new XPS 13 9370 and sadly, it has changed keyboard layout for Brightness controls and Page navigation keys (PgUp, PgDn, Home, End).

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”