Hotkey and Button that should do the same but react differently

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
Joab

Hotkey and Button that should do the same but react differently

23 May 2017, 07:03

Hi!

I have a weird problem..

I have the following code to show the problem. If you run this, you get an edit field with a button. If you press the button, you get a MsgBox with the text that is in the edit box. All is good up until this point.

If you press ^t; you should get the same result. However, it seems like the program just skips over the Gui, Submit when using the hotkey. When you press ^t BEFORE you have ever hit the button, it shows an empty MsgBox. When you press the Button and after that you press ^t, it shows the text that is inside the edit. When you change the text in the editbox however, ^t will still just show the old text instead of the new text. That is until you press the button again.

Am I wrong in thinking ^t and the button should do exactly the same? And, more importantly, how do I get my code to Gui, Submit using the hotkey instead of the button?

Thanks so much for your help!

Joab

Code: Select all

Gui, New, , TEST
Gui, Add, Edit, vtestfield, tekstdsfssfgdhghgdgdghdhgdhdfgh
Gui, Add, button, gaction, testbutton
Gui, show, AutoSize

^t::
action:
gui, submit, Nohide
MsgBox % testfield
return

GuiClose:
ExitApp
Joab

Re: Hotkey and Button that should do the same but react differently

23 May 2017, 07:30

I found a solution!

It turns out that by removing the first line (Gui,New,, TEST) the problem disappears. So it probably has something to do with which GUI is active; and pressing a button on a GUI will make it obvious which GUI is the target, whilst using a hotkey requires a GUI to be specified. I don't know how I specify a GUI, but at this point I don't need to either.

Joab
Joab

Re: Hotkey and Button that should do the same but react differently

23 May 2017, 07:31

I found a solution!

It turns out that by removing the first line (Gui,New,, TEST) the problem disappears. So it probably has something to do with which GUI is active; and pressing a button on a GUI will make it obvious which GUI is the target, whilst using a hotkey requires a GUI to be specified. I don't know how I specify a GUI, but at this point I don't need to either.

Joab

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”