Simplifying array/loop function and how to make the delimiter parameter a variable?

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
magicinmath

Simplifying array/loop function and how to make the delimiter parameter a variable?

23 May 2017, 20:04

Looking to maybe understand a better way to do the loop and also can it be possible to use a parameter for the delimiter in StrSplit or perhaps another similar function?

Code: Select all

data:=["somedata@more here@birthday"
	,"moredata@some here@birthday"]

makearray(object_in,column){
	a:=0, object_out:=[]
	while(a<object_in.Length()){
		++a, var:=object_in[a], elementarr:=StrSplit(var,"@")
		object_out[a]:=elementarr[column]
	}
	return object_out
}

Column_n:=makearray(data,2)
*edited variable names and arrangement
Xeno234

Re: Simplifying array/loop function and how to make the delimiter parameter a variable?

23 May 2017, 21:20

Can be simplified a bit with a for loop.

makearray(object_in,column){
	object_out := []
	for a, v in object_in
		object_out[a]:=StrSplit(v,"@")[column]
	return object_out
}
A_AhkUser

Re: Simplifying array/loop function and how to make the delimiter parameter a variable?

23 May 2017, 21:39

Hi magicinmath,
magicinmath wrote:can it be possible to use a parameter for the delimiter in StrSplit
If you mean pass a function parameter instead of use an hard-coded string as delimiter:yes; StrSplit delimiter's parameter admits variables. You simply have to add a delimiter parameter in the definition of your function and specify it as param in the StrSplit function inside the body of your function. StrSplit delimiter's parameter also accept arrays so you even can specify more than one delimiter to be taken in consideration when the function will execute. However, in this case, you should make this parameter variadic:

MyFunc(string, array*) {
Loop % (arr:=StrSplit(string, array)).length()
	MsgBox % arr[a_index]
}
MyFunc("A@B#C$D", ["@", "#", "$"]*) ; the asterisk after the final parameter marks the function as variadic
Concerning the strucure of the loop maybe, and instead of calling many times StrSplit- especially if you plan to deal with huge arrays - you could first 'stringify' your array, call StrSplit just one time and return an array wich retains only the element at index 2, 5, 8, 11, 14 --> 3n-1- magic in math! :D

data:=["somedata@A@birthday", "moredata@B@birthday", "moredata@C@birthday", "moredata@D@birthday", "moredata@E@birthday"]

makearray(__arrIn, ByRef __arrOut, __delimiter:="@") {

__str := "", __arrOut := []

Loop % __arrIn.length()
		__str .= __arrIn[a_index] . "@"
	Loop % ((__arr:=StrSplit(__str, __delimiter)).length()/3)
		__arrOut.push(__arr[(3*a_index)-1]) ; https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080819031639AAVzhO1

}
makearray(data, outputArray, "@")
Loop % outputArray.length()
	MsgBox % outputArray[a_index]

Hope this helps.
my scripts
jeeswg

23 May 2017, 21:52

How about this:

q:: ;delimiters via strings/arrays
vText := "a-b=c_d+e"
vDelim := "-"
oDelim1 := ["-"]
oDelim2 := ["-","=","_","+"]

oTemp1 := StrSplit(vText, vDelim)
oTemp2 := StrSplit(vText, oDelim1)
oTemp3 := StrSplit(vText, oDelim2)

MsgBox, % oTemp1.2 ;b=c_d+e
MsgBox, % oTemp2.2 ;b=c_d+e
MsgBox, % oTemp3.2 ;b

oDelim1 := oDelim2 := ""
oTemp1 := oTemp2 := oTemp3 := ""
return
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
magicinmath

23 May 2017, 22:11

A_AhkUser wrote:Hi magicinmath
Concerning the strucure of the loop maybe, and instead of calling many times StrSplit- especially if you plan to deal with huge arrays - you could first 'stringify' your array, call StrSplit just one time and return an array wich retains only the element at index 2, 5, 8, 11, 14 --> 3n-1- magic in math! :D
That is pretty clever. I have to wrap my head around it yet but I like the idea.

However, when I pass a variable for the delimiter, the function does not work properly.
A_AhkUser wrote:Hi magicinmath
If you mean pass a function parameter instead of use an hard-coded string as delimiter:yes; StrSplit delimiter's parameter admits variables. You simply have to add a delimiter parameter in the definition of your function and specify it as param in the StrSplit function inside the body of your function.

data:=["a1@b1@c1","a2@b2@c2","a3@b3@c3"]

makearray(object_in,column,d){
	object_out := []
	for a, v in object_in
		object_out[a]:=StrSplit(v,d)[column]
	return object_out
}
Column:=makearray(data,2,@)
MsgBox, % Column[1] 			; Result is 1
edit* Nvm, the @ needs to be in quotations! I see now lol "@".

Anyways, I will considering stringify and solving the sequence for column #'s. That is a really clever and creative idea :)
A_AhkUser

24 May 2017, 14:34

solving the sequence for column #'s.
Here's my attempt below so if you want to take a look:

data:=["somedata@A@birthday", "moredata@B@birthday", "moredata@C@birthday", "moredata@D@birthday", "moredata@E@birthday"]

makearray(__arrIn, ByRef __arrOut, __column, __delimiter:="@") {

__str := "", __arrOut := []
	__maxColumn := StrSplit(__arrIn[1], __delimiter).length()

Loop % __arrIn.length()
		__str .= __arrIn[a_index] . __delimiter
		__str := RTrim(__str, __delimiter)
	Loop % ((__arr:=StrSplit(__str, __delimiter)).length()/__maxColumn)
		__arrOut.push(__arr[__column+(a_index-1)*__maxColumn])

}
Loop, 3
{
makearray(data, outputArray, a_index, "@")
Loop % outputArray.length()
	MsgBox % outputArray[a_index]

}
1, 4, 7, ...
2, 5, 8, ...
3, 6, 9, ...
- so it is rather simple: it is not one of those Millennium Prize Problems! As for me, I consider your attempt and Xeno234 one's better but I suggest this one since I was pretty sure this solution will appeals to MagicIn_Math;)

Cheers
my scripts

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”