Trackball and mouse + few additional questions

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
GuiliuG

Trackball and mouse + few additional questions

28 Jun 2017, 02:24

Hello,
I've just recently discovered the amazing advanced functionnalities that AutoHotKey offers and I have a few questions for you expert folks to see whether it's possible to do what I want to do using AutoHotKeys or if I should look somewhere else !

So, I would like to use simultaneously a mouse and a trackball on my computer. The mouse would be used to perform regular mouse actions whereas the trackball would be used to perform other dedicated actions (such as zooming for instance, rotating a model in a CAD program,…). First question first : How can I differentiate whether it's the trackball or whether it's the mouse that's sending messages ? With my few researches, I've come to the conclusion that it's now possible (supported by AutoHotkeys) to use several mice to control a computer and assign them different functionnalities but I would like to have your confirmation and any clues about how to do it ?

Secondly, I've seen it's possible to create a GUI in a AuHotKeys script to perform some actions (such as data entry forms,…). I would like to know if it's feasible to create such a contextual menu as in this vidos :[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dXujLT_OSg [/youtube] so that by pressing a button on the trackball it opens the contextual menu and the user has just to move the mouse cursor over the corresponding functionnality to activate it ? Does AutHotKey offers enough functionnalities to create a beautiful contextual menu such as the one shown on video ?

Thirdly, I would like to create another script application to modify my first script (therefore, by opening this application I can decide what each button does in each application and my app will modify automatically the behaviour of the first running script). So the first script will run all the time to support the functionnalities I've assigned to the trackball and when I want to modify those, I would have to open the other application to change them). Is it something doable using just AutoHotKeys ?

Hopefully, all I want to do is feasible using AutoHotKey and if it's the case I will dig deeper into the program code and the functionnalities it offers.

Looking forward to reading your reply,

Guillaume.
GuiliuG

Re: Trackball and mouse + few additional questions

29 Jun 2017, 07:56

Hey,
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I can't get your code to detect the two mice that are currently connected to my computer ! Even though the script runs, prima facie, flawlessly (no error generated or whatsover) it doesn't recognize the mice and the only option available in the combo box remains "any", so I can't filter out one mouse or the other.

Any idea what's going on here ?

Guillaume.
evilC

29 Jun 2017, 08:22

I have had problems with the SharpDX DLLs failing to load (You did copy the contents of BOTH zips to the script folder yeah? ie you not only need the zip from the post I linked, but the "SharpDX DLLs" zip from the first post also) so it could be that.
GuiliuG

29 Jun 2017, 09:45

Yes I did.
All the libraries are installed in the right folder. I guess I would receive an error message upon running the script otherwise.
evilC

29 Jun 2017, 11:37

You may well see an error if you ran the script in Scite4Autohotkey.
Just double-clicking an AHK script that loads C# code via CLR would not show an exception that happened in the C# code

What version are the SharpDX DLLs?
GuiliuG

29 Jun 2017, 13:03

No, I launched the script in Scite4Autohotkey and no error message !

The version of the SharpDx Dlls is : 4.0.1.0 ;)
evilC

29 Jun 2017, 13:35

bloody thing has been giving me problems, I am not sure why it is not working on some people's machines.
Every person who I have remoted in to take a look at their PC tho, it has turned out to be user error (Not saying that is the case here, just sayin).
If you wanna drop me a PM, we can maybe arrange a TeamViewer session or something and I can try and work out what is going wrong.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”