[Solved]Old timer looking for alt tab help in windows 8

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
Bad husband

[Solved]Old timer looking for alt tab help in windows 8

21 Oct 2017, 13:57

It has been a long time since I have been back.

I created a simple alt tab script 9 years ago and it has served me during my time with windows XP & windows 7.

We have finally migrated to windows 8 at work. I know that we are slow to move forward at work.

Anyways my alt tab script worked by pressing and holding the Lbutton on the mouse and clicking the Rbutton to cycle thru the tabs

~Lbutton & Rbutton :: AltTab

I understand with windows 8 this does work straight forward and need to include a line for window switcher.

Looking for help with a script to get the alt tab to works again. The Mbutton is assigned already to another hotkey.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Bad husband on 23 Oct 2017, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
Exaskryz

Re: Old timer looking for alt tab help in windows 8

21 Oct 2017, 18:16

Here's a link I bookmarked years ago for this: (Note: This is from the old forums) http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/1 ... /?p=691584
Bad husband

21 Oct 2017, 21:35

Thanks Exaskryz for a starting point.

Where I couldn't get it work I'm almost there.

My script is toggling thru the alt tab screen showing the open windows. When I release the mouse buttons it opens the window but the alt tab window remains visible and when I click on the tab it takes back to the previous window that I was working on or had focus.

I need to find how to make the tab that I stop on get focus and close the alt tab window.

Here is my script

~LButton & RButton::
Run C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Window Switcher
Sleep 50
IfWinExists, ahk_class TaskSwitcherWnd
ControlClick,,{Enter},ahk_class TaskSwitchWnd
Return

Thanks
Exaskryz

21 Oct 2017, 22:12

This is code I have. I customized my mousepad software (Logitech) so that when I do a triple-finger click, it sends a hotkey of Ctrl+Shift+Alt+= to trigger this AHK hotkey. Hopefully this will give you a hint of what to do?

Code: Select all

^+!=:: ; This one is to shift between windows with a triple-finger click action in the Mouse Settings
UsingAltTab:=1
Run C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Window Switcher
return

#If UsingAltTab
LButton::
UsingAltTab:=0
Send {Enter}
return

#If
In my case, every time I trigger the ^+!= hotkey to Run the Window Switcher, it moves down the list. That is, if Window Switcher is already open, then it moves to the next item. I then use a single finger click, which is LButton, to select what I want. I make it so when the Window Switcher has been launched, then the LButton hotkey is turned on because of the UsingAltTab variable.

The code you have has some mistakes. ControlClick,,{Enter},ahk_class TaskSwitchWnd doesn't make sense. (And I'm sorry if the link I linked to had used that mistaken example). For one, the ControlClick can't send an {Enter} keystroke, that'd be the ControlSend. Additionally, the name of the program is ahk_class TaskSwitcherWnd (which was right in the line above. Finally, IfWinExists should be IfWinExist (no s at the end).

Making those corrections makes the Task Switcher close immediately and select the previously-active window. It wouldn't let you click through the Task Switcher, which I think you can do while holding Left Click and then Right Clicking repeatedly.

For me when I run the code, if I mouse over the window I want and click it, it activates that window.
Bad husband

22 Oct 2017, 22:20

Thanks for your suggestions.

I found another link and modified the script for my mouse button function and it is working

https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic ... it=Alt+tab

Thanks

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”