Install and use LibHaru with AHK

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
Albireo

Install and use LibHaru with AHK

19 Nov 2017, 07:34

My wish is to be able to install and use LibHaru on a computer with Windows 10, 64-bit. (but I fail)

I have used LibHaru for many years, and it worked fine.
It was installed on a 32-bit Win2000 computer. But the computer stopped now to work.

Now I want to move the AHK program, which creates PDF files, to a newer computer (Win10, 64-bit),
but I can not get the program (LibHaru) to work. :(

What should be done to make it work on the newer computer?

What have I done
First I copied the old libhpdf.dll from the old computer, but no PDF-file is created.
(maybe an earlier release, 32-bit, not all necessary files were copied or ...)

After that, I tried to install LibHaru again
libharu-RELEASE_2_3_0 was downloaded from http://libharu.org/ (Maybe it's a 32-bit program? Does it matter?)

In order for LibHaru to work, the program must be "compiled" with a program NMAKE or MAKE or...
(if I understood the installation instructions below correctly - I have no idea what cygwin or MSYS is)
LibHaru Installations instruction .:
Windows (except cygwin/MSYS)

Unpack the libharu package, using the command prompt.

unzip libharu-X.X.X.zip
cd libharu-X.X.X

There are several kinds of makefile, for every compiler, in the script directory. Build the library with an appropriate makefile.

1. Microsoft VC++ Compiler

nmake -f script/Makefile.msvc

2. Borland C++

make -f script/Makefile.bcc

Note: If you want to create DLL, use Makefile.msvc_dll (or Makefile.bcc32_dll) instead.

Type the following commands to test library. If it succeeds, some PDF files are made in the demo directory. In Windows environment, Install command is not prepared.

1. Microsoft VC++ Compiler

nmake -f script/Makefile.msvc[_dll] demo

2. Borland C++

make -f script/Makefile.bcc[_dll] demo

If you use "Visual Studio .NET", use "Visual Studio .NET Command Prompt" to build Haru. But some warnings about optimizing may occur, because the compiler included in "Visual Studio .NET" does not have an optimizing feature. You can also use "Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003" and "Microsoft Platform SDK" instead. The compiler of "Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003" has an optimizing feature.
I searched and searched for the NMAKE or MAKE programs, but found only a 32-bit program that did not work under a 64-bit OS.
Installed, after a while, the free version of Visual Studio and Visual C ++ Build Tools (64-bit).

Now I have the program nmake.exe!
If I understand the instruction correctly, the following command applies to me.
- nmake -f script/Makefile.msvc or
- nmake -f script/Makefile.msvc_dll

File structure .:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\bin\nmake.exe" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\bin\amd64\nmake.exe" I don't know the difference

When i try, from the cmd-prompt (as administrator), to run the command .:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\bin\nmake.exe" -f "C:\Temp\Libharu\script\Makefile.msvc"
I received the following error .:
'c1' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operal program or batch file. NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'c1' : return code '0x1'

How do I proceed?

Re: Install and use LibHaru with AHK

19 Nov 2017, 07:44

See https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/4065 ... -11/page-2 :-)

You need to use the 32 bit Ansi version of AutoHotkey for it to work (AutoHotkeyA32.exe) - easiest solution (I find) is to name your scripts with .ahka extension and the association .ahka with AutoHotkeyA32.exe - if everything is 32bit - and if you still can't get it to work stick to AHK basic for which the original library was developed if I'm not mistaken ( https://autohotkey.com/download/1.0/ look for AutoHotkey104805.zip )
Albireo

19 Nov 2017, 15:45

I copied the Autohotkey.exe ver 1.0.47.06, from the old disk. (I don't know if it was the ANSI version, but it have before worked together with libharu)
But without results. Even though no PDF is created, no error message is generated.

Is it still the wrong version of Autohotkey?
The Windows registry of the new computer does not need to be changed in any way?
Maybe autohotkey must be run as an administrator? (How can I do that?)

20 Nov 2017, 04:06

Dusted off the old files and just tested this on Win10/64 bit and it works, you can download a test "libharu-demo.zip" (960kb) set here:

http://ge.tt/8Bc9qOn2

it contains:

page.txt (sample page)
AutoHotkey.ahk (script that generates PDF from page.txt)
AutoHotkey.exe (1.1.26.01 Ansi 32 bit version)
HPDF.ahk (the library I use(d))
libhpdf.dll (the dll I use(d))

simply unpack into a folder and double click autohotkey.exe, it should automatically start autohotkey.ahk that will generate a page.pdf (you can check compare the AutoHotkey.exe with your own version (32bit ansi) and check the script of course)

Download remains valid for 30 days I think.

If you still can't get it to work I don't know what is wrong - it works here on various computers 32/64 bit.

An alternative you may wish to look into could be HTML to PDF using https://wkhtmltopdf.org/ - or from a variety of formats to PDF using Pandoc http://pandoc.org/demos.html - both command line tools so easy to "script"
Albireo

20 Nov 2017, 07:37

Thank you!
Right now, I don't know why it not work with Win10 pro 64-bit (only tested on one computer)
Do the program must run as administrator?

But on the other computer - Win 98 - 32-bit it works.

I want to see more at Pandoc.
But I can not see any example how to generate a formatted PDF (for example) from a simple .csv file, with one / some command.
(that's possible with LibHaru)

20 Nov 2017, 07:49

I don't run it as administrator it just works, perhaps your Antivirus/firewall prevents loading the DLL? (just guessing - perhaps disabling it temporarily to test it.

Perhaps it still runs the 64-bit? Are you sure you double click the AutoHotkey.exe and not the AutoHotkey.ahk by accident (that would launch the 64 bit unicode you've installed on your system) - Rename both AutoHotkey.* files to "test" for example and double click test.exe

if you still have doubts add this line in the AutoHotkey.ahk script:

Code: Select all

MsgBox % "Admin: " A_IsAdmin "`nUnicode: " A_IsUnicode "`nVersion: " A_ahkversion
After A_IsUnicode should be nothing, if it shows 1 you ARE running the wrong version, it should show this:

---------------------------
AutoHotkey.ahk
Admin: 0
Unicode:
Version: 1.1.26.01
OK

Pandoc uses wkhtmltopdf (or other PDF tools) to convert text (CSV is just text) to PDF - http://pandoc.org/index.html
So you might as well try wkhtmltopdf directly and see how that works.
Albireo

20 Nov 2017, 08:45

Guest wrote:I don't run it as administrator it just works, perhaps your Antivirus/firewall prevents loading the DLL? (just guessing - perhaps disabling it temporarily to test it.
Done!
Guest wrote:Perhaps it still runs the 64-bit? Are you sure you double click the AutoHotkey.exe and not the AutoHotkey.ahk by accident (that would launch the 64 bit unicode you've installed on your system) - Rename both AutoHotkey.* files to "test" for example and double click test.exe
Done! (intresting)
Guest wrote:if you still have doubts add this line in the AutoHotkey.ahk script:

MsgBox % "Admin: " A_IsAdmin "`nUnicode: " A_IsUnicode "`nVersion: " A_ahkversion
Done!
Guest wrote:After A_IsUnicode should be nothing, if it shows 1 you ARE running the wrong version, it should show this:

AutoHotkey.ahk
Admin: 0
Unicode:
Version: 1.1.26.01
OK
Yes! It's correct.

When the button "OK" is pressed, the AHK-program is not ended.
The program is loop between row 57-809

/*
Script lines most recently executed (oldest first).  Press [F5] to refresh.  The seconds elapsed between a line and the one after it is in parentheses to the right (if not 0).  The bottommost line's elapsed time is the number of seconds since it executed.

---- C:\Temp\TestLH\HPDF.ahk
809: Return,DllCall("libhpdf\HPDF_Page_TextRect", "UInt", hPage, "Float", left, "Float", top, "Float", right, "Float", bottom, A_IsUnicode ? "astr" : "str", text, "Int", thisAlignment, "UIntP", len
---- C:\Temp\TestLH\Test.ahk
057: remaining := remaining - charsWritten
059: HPDF_Page_EndText(page)  
586: Return,DllCall("libhpdf\HPDF_Page_EndText", "UInt", hPage, "Cdecl int")
060: }
035: While,remaining > 0
039: page := HPDF_AddPage(hDoc)
501: Return,DllCall("libhpdf\HPDF_AddPage", "UInt", hDoc, "Cdecl int")
040: HPDF_Page_SetSize(page, "A4", "PORTRAIT")  
1023: HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_LETTER = 0
1024: HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_LEGAL = 1
1025: HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_A3 = 2
1026: HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_A4 = 3
1027: HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_A5 = 4
1028: HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_B4 = 5
1029: HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_B5 = 6
1030: HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_EXECUTIVE = 7
1031: HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_US4x6 = 8
1032: HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_US4x8 = 9
1033: HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_US5x7 = 10
1034: HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_COMM10 = 11
1035: HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_EOF = 12
1037: HPDF_PAGE_PORTRAIT = 0
1038: HPDF_PAGE_LANDSCAPE = 1
1040: thisSize := HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_%size%
1041: thisDirection := HPDF_PAGE_%direction%
1044: Return,DllCall("libhpdf\HPDF_Page_SetSize", "UInt", hPage, "UInt", thisSize, "UInt", thisDirection, "Cdecl int")
041: height := HPDF_Page_GetHeight(page)
1059: Return,DllCall("libhpdf\HPDF_Page_GetHeight", "UInt", hPage, "Cdecl Float")
042: width := HPDF_Page_GetWidth(page)
1054: Return,DllCall("libhpdf\HPDF_Page_GetWidth", "UInt", hPage, "Cdecl Float")
045: HPDF_Page_BeginText(page)  
521: Return,DllCall("libhpdf\HPDF_Page_BeginText", "UInt", hPage, "Cdecl int")
047: HPDF_Page_SetFontAndSize(page, font, 14)  
681: Return,DllCall("libhpdf\HPDF_Page_SetFontAndSize", "UInt", hPage, "UInt", font, "Float", size, "Cdecl int")
051: rect_left := 250
052: rect_top := height-180
053: rect_right := width-40
054: rect_bottom := 20
056: HPDF_Page_TextRect(page, rect_left, rect_top, rect_right, rect_bottom, SubStr(text,textLength-remaining+1,MAX_TEXT_POST), "LEFT", charsWritten)  
802: HPDF_TALIGN_LEFT = 0
803: HPDF_TALIGN_RIGHT = 1
804: HPDF_TALIGN_CENTER = 2
805: HPDF_TALIGN_JUSTIFY = 3
807: thisAlignment := HPDF_TALIGN_%align%
809: Return,DllCall("libhpdf\HPDF_Page_TextRect", "UInt", hPage, "Float", left, "Float", top, "Float", right, "Float", bottom, A_IsUnicode ? "astr" : "str", text, "Int", thisAlignment, "UIntP", len
586: Return,DllCall("libhpdf\HPDF_Page_EndText", "UInt", hPage, "Cdecl int")
060: }
035: While,remaining > 0
039: page := HPDF_AddPage(hDoc)
501: Return,DllCall("libhpdf\HPDF_AddPage", "UInt", hDoc, "Cdecl int")
040: HPDF_Page_SetSize(page, "A4", "PORTRAIT")  
1023: HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_LETTER = 0
1024: HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_LEGAL = 1
1025: HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_A3 = 2
1026: HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_A4 = 3
1027: HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_A5 = 4
1028: HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_B4 = 5
1029: HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_B5 = 6
1030: HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_EXECUTIVE = 7
1031: HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_US4x6 = 8
1032: HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_US4x8 = 9
1033: HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_US5x7 = 10
1034: HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_COMM10 = 11
1035: HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_EOF = 12
1037: HPDF_PAGE_PORTRAIT = 0
1038: HPDF_PAGE_LANDSCAPE = 1
1040: thisSize := HPDF_PAGE_SIZE_%size%
1041: thisDirection := HPDF_PAGE_%direction%
1044: Return,DllCall("libhpdf\HPDF_Page_SetSize", "UInt", hPage, "UInt", thisSize, "UInt", thisDirection, "Cdecl int")
041: height := HPDF_Page_GetHeight(page)
1059: Return,DllCall("libhpdf\HPDF_Page_GetHeight", "UInt", hPage, "Cdecl Float")
042: width := HPDF_Page_GetWidth(page)
1054: Return,DllCall("libhpdf\HPDF_Page_GetWidth", "UInt", hPage, "Cdecl Float")
045: HPDF_Page_BeginText(page)  
521: Return,DllCall("libhpdf\HPDF_Page_BeginText", "UInt", hPage, "Cdecl int")
047: HPDF_Page_SetFontAndSize(page, font, 14)  
681: Return,DllCall("libhpdf\HPDF_Page_SetFontAndSize", "UInt", hPage, "UInt", font, "Float", size, "Cdecl int")
051: rect_left := 250
052: rect_top := height-180
053: rect_right := width-40
054: rect_bottom := 20
056: HPDF_Page_TextRect(page, rect_left, rect_top, rect_right, rect_bottom, SubStr(text,textLength-remaining+1,MAX_TEXT_POST), "LEFT", charsWritten)  
802: HPDF_TALIGN_LEFT = 0
803: HPDF_TALIGN_RIGHT = 1
804: HPDF_TALIGN_CENTER = 2
805: HPDF_TALIGN_JUSTIFY = 3
807: thisAlignment := HPDF_TALIGN_%align%
Press [F5] to refresh.
*/

20 Nov 2017, 08:58

mmm the only thing I can think of is that you don't have the font it tries to use, as you can see in ansi2pdf() in test.ahk it tries to load "Fonts\GOTHICB.TTF" - perhaps you don't have that font - you could try to replace it with "cour.ttf" which is courier which is a standard font on all version of Windows (as far as I know) ?
Albireo

20 Nov 2017, 10:31

Yes!
Many thanks for your time!

The "simple test" above works on Win10 pro Swe! (even with Swedish åäö) - the last problem was the fontname.
Now I want to try to get my previous AHK program, which creates PDF files, work on the same computer.

The best way - right now, is to name autohotkey.exe ansi version: 1.1.26.01 to the same name as the AHK file to use, and run the exe-file.
Is it easy to compile an ahk-script file, to a working exe file? (with the correct autohotkey.exe?)

20 Nov 2017, 10:41

:beer:
Yes it is easy to compile for a specific version - just start the "Ahk2Exe.exe" that is in your AutoHotkey\compiler folder - you can now select the "Base Bin" to use, select "Ansi 32 bit" and it should compile your script correctly. 8-)
gwarble

21 Nov 2018, 17:35

Hey all,
Has anyone tried or had success converting this library to work with Unicode and/or 64-bit?

I'm hopeful it will only take a little modification to these structures
nope, not the structures

so some DllCalls must need AStr instead of Str and/or Ptr instead of Int I guess?
EitherMouse - Multiple mice, individual settings . . . . www.EitherMouse.com . . . . forum . . . .
Albireo

22 Nov 2018, 06:41

I use LibHaru to create PDFs almost every week, and it works well for me.
Right now I can not check, but (if I remember correctly) I use the 64-bit ANSI version of AHK on a Win10 computer.
(How do I check what you want answers on?)
gwarble

22 Nov 2018, 08:59

I'm pretty sure there is only 32bit Ansi, while unicode has 32 and 64

It does work well still in ansi32, but not either unicode version for me
EitherMouse - Multiple mice, individual settings . . . . www.EitherMouse.com . . . . forum . . . .
gwarble

22 Nov 2018, 13:38

I don't fully comprehend exactly what needs to happen to make it Unicode and/or 64-bit compatible. Personally I want to be able to use U32 but U64 support would also be beneficial for everyone.

So the only structures/numput/numget calls in the library aren't used in my test case, I am ignoring them in my test cases for now... Once I can get a pdf to generate I'll see what they need

That leaves the numerous DllCalls as the areas to modify. This is a typical DllCall:
DllCall("libhpdf\HPDF_Page_CreateTextAnnot", "UInt", hPage, "UInt", rect, "Str", text, "UInt", encoder, "Cdecl int")
which could have any number of bit-dependant parameters, and the dll itself is expecting data in some ansi/unicode format, from what I gather
DllCall("libhpdf\HPDF_Page_CreateTextAnnot", "UInt -> UPtr", hPage, "UInt", rect, "Str -> AStr", text, "UInt", encoder, "Cdecl int -> ptr")

Edit: and/or using HPDF_UseUTFEncodings()

Edit: ok looking a little more closely, I see that the author of FoxBook on GitHub updated the HPDF library and is using it from the Unicode32 version. He has added:

; 2012-4-25: Add HPDF_UseUTFEncodings(ByRef hDoc) Depend Version >= 2.3.0
; 2012-2-23: Add HPDF_LoadPngImageFromMem(ByRef hDoc, BufAdr, BufSize) Depend Version >= 2.2.0
But my currently functioning version in Ansi32 is using the libhpdf.dll v2.1.0
And in trying to download/update to v2.3.0 i see that the only available compiled binary is 2.1.0, so I guess to get the unicode working I need to figure out how to compile v2.3.0 and use _UseUTFEncodings()

Does anyone have a compiled .dll (ideally that doesn't rely on mscvrt0.dll) of v2.3.0??
gwarble

26 Nov 2018, 19:11

Ok if i understand correctly, there are two possible solutions to getting the HPDF library to work with AutoHotkey Unicode32:

1) Compile libhpdf.dll v2.3.0 to get native unicode support, and use UseUTFEncoding() etc to support it

2) continue to use v2.1.0 that is known to work with Ansi32, and modify the HPDF.ahk library to only send ansi data to the .dll, thereby creating an ansi-formatted pdf but with unicode executable

Anyone know if i'm at least thinking about that correctly. Option 1) seems better, but i don't know how to compile the dll while option 2) seems doable if I can make sense of the DllCall changes needed to send ansi data
Albireo

27 Nov 2018, 04:05

Maybe this work for you? (to use different AHK- versions on that computer)
Name the autohotkey.exe ansi version to the same name as the AHK file to use, and run the exe-file.
(i.e. prog.ahk1 => autohotkeyAnsi.exe)

compile an ahk-script file, to a working exe file.
- 2a. Start the "Ahk2Exe.exe" that is in your AutoHotkey\compiler folder
- 2b. Now it's possible to select the "Base Bin" to use
- 2c. Select "Ansi 32 bit" and it should compile your script correctly.
(I think it should work)
gwarble

27 Nov 2018, 08:54

Yes that would work, thanks, and I already have functioning solution doing something similar, but I want to fix the library and/or update the dll so that a solution can be realized without using the ansi ahk executable. For everyone it would be better, and for my own use case, its a utility on a dozen plus computers at my shop, and I now have a reason to use unicode characters in other parts of the utility, and I don't want to duplicate the effort and have more than a single executable

not sure if v2 will have an ansi version either, but another reason to make this library unicode compatible

and the last reason is, I want to learn how to make the changes required
list

27 Nov 2018, 12:57

@gwarble looks like compile instructions can be found here:
https://github.com/libharu/libharu/wiki ... cygwinmsys
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/433 ... ual-studio
you can download it here https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/community/ ( found via https://github.com/Lexikos/AutoHotkey_L#how-to-compile )
Perhaps posting a "Help" on how to compile it may help it seen by AHK-ers with some VC++ experience?
gwarble

27 Nov 2018, 19:19

Thanks for the links... I've read up on it but haven't gone through all the steps yet, I may end up making a separate thread but asking for C-compiling help might not be appropriate here.

I still might try to convert the library to force ansi calls to the existing (v2.1.0) dll, since that version is freely downloadable from the libHaru author (not sure why v2.3.0 isn't) and would be more widely usable than forcing all users of the library to compile a c dll binary. I don't really need my pdf's to be unicode encoded, but I think that would be the advantage of using v2.3.0 if someone did.
Albireo

28 Nov 2018, 06:16

gwarble wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 08:54
.... I want to fix the library and/or update the dll so that a solution can be realized without using the ansi ahk executable.......
Absolutely the best. (I like LibHaru)
I hope that you / someone succeeds, and it will be easier to install LibHaru. ;) ;)

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”