How to append CSV file on password protected location

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
Yatendra3192

How to append CSV file on password protected location

10 Dec 2017, 07:23

Hi All,

This is my first time post and forgive me if i do something wrong here. So here's the problem-

I'm making a time tracker script for my office and we have 100s computer linked to one server script i made will be installed in every computer and going to generate a CSV file with all the data i want to capture all is working fine but the problem is that when i define the location for CSV file to save and some how any employee got to know the location they might change it anyway they want so stop them from doing that we are setting up a password protected folder but then AHK will not be able to append a file on that location.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also let me know if you need any more information to solve this problem.
BoBo

Re: How to append CSV file on password protected location

10 Dec 2017, 07:56

If your script (and its output) is hosted at C: it shouldn't be accessible for the user AFAIK (?)
Yatendra3192

10 Dec 2017, 08:24

Hi BoBo, Thank you so much for your reply. But my script (and its output) is hosted at server address \\172.19.2.55 all of our local machine is linked to it for storing our work.
nnnik

14 Dec 2017, 01:30

Rather than saving it to a file on the server, it might be better to send the data to a HTTP server running on your server and let it handle the data once it arrives.
Another would be to make the server execute an AHK file after a user is done writing to a specific file.

Edit: on second thought you won't really need a HTTP server specifically, you can use whatever protocol you want.
Recommends AHK Studio
Yatendra3192

14 Dec 2017, 01:52

Hi nnnik thank you so much for your reply can you point me in the right direction on how to do that
divanebaba

14 Dec 2017, 03:19

When you can`t access protected folder, try to lightly encrypt your csv-file.
With lightly encrypting I mean easiest way of encryption by shifting chars for example.
The user can open and read but he will not be able to understand.
Einfach nur ein toller Typ. :mrgreen:
Yatendra3192

14 Dec 2017, 05:55

But he can delete the file.

It's nice idea though will try it out on some another project but for this it will not work. Thank you so much for replying.
divanebaba

14 Dec 2017, 06:54

How is this idea:
Userscripts store csv-files in unprotected folder.
Administrator-script checks in predefined timesteps (every 15 sec, for example) the content of the unprotected folder. If it finds a csv-file, it moves it to a place, which is not noted in the userscript.

More professional possibility could be a direct transfer of the csv-file content via sharing or sending variables to another script, but I don`t have usable information about communication between two scripts.
I tried years ago and failed so badly.
Einfach nur ein toller Typ. :mrgreen:
Yatendra3192

16 Dec 2017, 00:47

I thought the same but problem with this is that I'm making a time tracker script which store new data every min in CSV file if i move the file, file-append will create new one their or if i create a copy of CSV and if user change the CSV on his end dosen't it mean the backup script will pic those file and copy on my defined location so it dose not help in protacting the right data

16 Dec 2017, 03:59

Try "RemoteObj.ahk" so you can access objects remotely over a TCP/IP network - that way you send data over the network and have your server script write it to a location they can't access? And if you send "objects" (arrays) it will be harder to manipulate compared to regular CSV data which they could just "make up" in Excel.

Or "write" to a SQLite database not a text file https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1064

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”