shift hotkey combination not working - please help

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
helensmith

shift hotkey combination not working - please help

13 Dec 2017, 11:22

when I press the shift key along with a letter key, I want my computer to type the corresponding letter in capitals. So as an example, if I hold down "shift i" it should type the capital letter "I"

I have tried all of the following (even hex value for shift) and it has not worked:

+i::i
send, I

shift & i::
send, I

SC02A & i::
send, I

I would be really grateful for help with this as I have been trying to do this for many hours.
Osprey

Re: shift hotkey combination not working - please help

13 Dec 2017, 14:39

Doesn't it already do that? Why do you need a script for it? Regardless, I just did i::i to test and it still capitalized when I held down Shift. I also tried i::o and holding down Shift correctly produced a capital O.

Perhaps it would help if you told us which program that you need this to work in and some details to understand what the problem is. Also, if the above isn't it, posting your actual code might help.
helensmith

13 Dec 2017, 19:33

Osprey wrote:Doesn't it already do that? Why do you need a script for it?
it should do that, but i have something messed up with my keyboard. i have tried reinstalling the keyboard driver etc but its still no good. So far i have had to remap the following in autohotkey to get the keyboard working as it should:

Numpad5::i
Numpad1::j
Numpad2::k
Numpad3::l
Numpad0::m
Numpad6::o
NumpadMult::p
Numpad4::u
Q::a
NumpadDiv::0
NumpadPgUp::(
NumpadHome::&
NumpadSub:::
NumpadAdd::?
'::@

The keyboard now works 90% as it should. problem is i am missing capital letters. i can press caps lock to type a capital, but its tedious having to put on caps lock and realease it every time i want to type one capital letter. using the keyboard hook i found out the hex code for the shift key SC02A. i can easily remap the shift key with this hex code, so i know it recognizes the shift key okay.

if anyone has any ideas i could be very grateful
Osprey

13 Dec 2017, 20:06

You can map the CapsLock key to Shift with:

Code: Select all

CapsLock::Shift
helensmith

14 Dec 2017, 04:54

On further examination with the keyboard hook, I found out that further numpad combinations were being sent which I have had to remap. Also something wiered was happening with the Q key, so have had to use hex code for this. This remapping fixed the caps issues:

NumpadClear::I

NumpadEnd::J

NumpadDown::K

NumpadPgDn::L

NumpadIns::M

NumpadRight::O

NumpadLeft::U

+SC010::Q

This all started when I allowed microsoft to do a remote session to try and fix something. Upon immediate use of their remote program, the keyboard went strange, hence why I have had to remap everything in autohotkey. I have tried to reinstall the keyboard, but same problem. Looks like autohotkey is the only fix for me - any other ideas?
Osprey

14 Dec 2017, 05:39

I've used and really liked a key remapper program called KeyTweak. I would give that a try, choose "restore all defaults" and, if that doesn't work, remap your keys in that, since that's what it's for more so than AutoHotkey.
gregster

14 Dec 2017, 06:49

helensmith wrote:This all started when I allowed microsoft to do a remote session to try and fix something.
Did you initiate that remote seesion or did "Microsoft" call you and asked for it? Did you contact Microsoft after the remote session and ask, if it was legit and if yes, what they could to do to fix the problem?

I ask because this seems to be a very popular scam by online criminals who impersonate Microsoft people (or people of other tech companies) and then install some malicious software on your computer. You can find hundreds or thousands of posts on google if you look for "tech support scam", "microsoft phone scam" or similar. In general, it would be highly unusual to get called by some Microsoft people out of the blue... or at all.

And judging by the results of that remote session, I would suggest that you let some computer professional that you trust take a close look at it. Trying to fix the keyboard with AHK might prolong your problems if you have some virus, trojan horse or remote scamming program on your computer.

So I urge you to get your computer checked before doctoring around on what seems to be the result of a scam and malicious software. Good luck!
Osprey

14 Dec 2017, 15:53

gregster has a point. I suppose that it's possible that a keylogger might've been installed (in order to capture you inputting credit card numbers and such) and it's not working right. If this started happening in the last week or two, I'd try using System Restore to roll Windows back to before you started having the problem.
helensmith

15 Dec 2017, 05:25

gregster wrote:
helensmith wrote:This all started when I allowed microsoft to do a remote session to try and fix something.
Did you initiate that remote seesion or did "Microsoft" call you and asked for it? Did you contact Microsoft after the remote session and ask, if it was legit and if yes, what they could to do to fix the problem?

I ask because this seems to be a very popular scam by online criminals who impersonate Microsoft people (or people of other tech companies) and then install some malicious software on your computer. You can find hundreds or thousands of posts on google if you look for "tech support scam", "microsoft phone scam" or similar. In general, it would be highly unusual to get called by some Microsoft people out of the blue... or at all.

And judging by the results of that remote session, I would suggest that you let some computer professional that you trust take a close look at it. Trying to fix the keyboard with AHK might prolong your problems if you have some virus, trojan horse or remote scamming program on your computer.

So I urge you to get your computer checked before doctoring around on what seems to be the result of a scam and malicious software. Good luck!

No its not a scam. I was the one who initiated it and contacted microsoft. I would never be so stupid to do this. I contacted them as I have an old laptop computer running windows 10 (was never meant to run windows 10), and windows 10 forces automatic updates. It goes through a lengthy reboot process and then says it has been unable to install updates. It drives me crazy and wastes a lot of time. It also installs incompatible drivers, which I have to spend time reloading the correct ones. In my opinion this has been worse than a virus!

I have tried stopping the update service, but it always restarts and downloads stupid updates again. Now I have an autohtokey script which repeatedly shuts down the windows 10 update service - and this has worked! I am not bothered about updates on this computer, as it is on its own network, rarely goes online and I never do anything which would compromise my security such as internet shopping, banking, email etc. The most it is ever used for it to watch youtube videos and read bloggs.
gregster

15 Dec 2017, 05:42

Good to hear. In this case I would ask Microsoft to fix the mess they created.
helensmith

15 Dec 2017, 05:54

gregster wrote:Good to hear. In this case I would ask Microsoft to fix the mess they created.
There is no way I am going back to microsoft after what they did. I have since done some registry tweaks etc and they will just renable updates and start the whole process off again. I will have to live with the Autohotkey fix. As it stands Autohotkey has provided a functional fix
Osprey

15 Dec 2017, 15:17

Even though it wasn't a scam, rolling your system back with System Restore could still fix it. You'll lose any good tweaks that Microsoft made, as well as your own, but it might fix the keyboard.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”