Did Microsoft remove the Male Voice in SAPI in it's latest update?

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
OhFeminist

Did Microsoft remove the Male Voice in SAPI in it's latest update?

01 Mar 2018, 03:57

If you have windows 10 ver. 1709 I suspect you might have lost the male voice in SAPI and only have 2 females

To test make sure you are running windows 10 version 1709

t := ComObjCreate("SAPI.SpVoice")
t.Voice := t.GetVoices().Item(2)
t.Speak("female voices only")

IF you get an error, change try instead of (2) try (0) or (1)

There used to be 3 choices 1 male two females, seems the guy has left the building
BoBo

Re: Did Microsoft remove the Male Voice in SAPI in it's latest update?

01 Mar 2018, 04:10

... seems the guy has left the building
He hasn't resigned, right?! Hope there's no connection to the WH, the place where they have only "[the best people]" ?! :lolno: :shh:
gregster

01 Mar 2018, 05:43

Voice 1 seems quite male to me - at least on my computer running windows 10 version 1709. And although my system language in not english - that guy uses (american) english pronunciation - no doubt: He can say "I am a stable genius" ;) (the same with the female voice (nr 2) - the girl from nr 0 seems to have a strange accent, though, she might be ill :D - oh, no, she is the local language girl ).
Afaik, I would have to install/choose a local voice to replace the english ones - so, to voices of which language are you referring to? Did you change/replace any voices in the past?

Perhaps this question would be better suited for Microsoft's Win10 support :?:
RickC

02 Mar 2018, 16:15

Using Windows 10 Pro 1709 Build 16299.248 (English United Kingdom) it looks and sounds like MS has created confusion.

If I right-click on Start, choose Run and enter ms-settings:speech (to get to Speech settings) then, under Text-to-speech, I can see 3 voices - Microsoft George, Microsoft Hazel and Microsoft Susan.

However, if I right-click on Start, choose Run and enter explorer shell:::{D17D1D6D-CC3F-4815-8FE3-607E7D5D10B3} (to get to Text-to-Speech Properties) then I can only see 2 voices - Microsoft Hazel Desktop - English (Great Britain) and Microsoft Zira Desktop - English (United States). (The last one just sounds like Robocop's mum.)

Hope this helps...

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”