remapping keys on bluetooth keyboard Topic is solved

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
joberlin23

remapping keys on bluetooth keyboard

16 Mar 2018, 13:41

Hi all,
I have a new bluetooth keyboard for use with my windows 10 laptop. It's really a nice little keyboard (brand name 'fintie'), and so far I like it a lot except for one issue: It doesn't have an escape key in the top left corner where it belongs (Instead it is two keys to the right, where normally F2 would be). The key in the corner instead has a little 'house'-Symbol on it, and it opens a new browser window. Some of the other keys in the top row do ctrl-c/ctrl-v/ctrl-x, and also there's some media player keys.
So I'm looking for a way to remap this mess, especially the escape key. tools I tried so far didn't really work, so now I ended up here at auto hotkey.

My questions are:
- is AHK the right tool for this simple job - or is it kind of overkill? (If so, can anyone suggest a tool that supports bluetooth-keyboards and win10?)
- If AHK is the right tool, how would I go about doing this remapping?

Oh, and there's one more curious thing about this house-key: I tried a tool to get scancodes of the buttons I press - this key doesn't seem to have one (all the others in the top row do have scancodes, exscept for the house and two keys in the top right corner, one with a little lock on it and another one with an internet-explorer logo; these last two don't seem to do anything at all, which is kind of a waste...)
gregster

Re: remapping keys on bluetooth keyboard

16 Mar 2018, 18:43

Welcome to the forum,
in general, AHK should be the right tool for the job - one line of code could already be enough... the key you are describing is usually called Browser_Home in Autohotkey. So,

Code: Select all

Browser_Home::Esc
should do the job. At least, I recommended that succesfully to the last guy with the same problem - he probably had another keyboard, though. But that even works on my "normal" keyboard which happens to have this key - but not at the location of the Escape key.

That said, this key should show up with its name in the key history - the scancode SC132 works for me, too. If it wouldn't work and it wouldn't show up, you could still try to contact the keyboard manufacturer/distributor - http://www.fintie.com/ , if there was no additional software with the keyboard that could help.

The docs also mention AHKHID: https://autohotkey.com/docs/KeyList.htm#SpecialKeys

The other keys don't ring a bell - perhaps these keys (including the one you are looking at), are implemented on a lower driver level and therefore not accessible. I had Fn keys on laptops that I couldn't remap, no matter what I did. But I would be surprised if the key in question wouldn't respond to Browser_Home. Good luck!
joberlin

Re: remapping keys on bluetooth keyboard  Topic is solved

18 Mar 2018, 09:19

Hey there, thanks for the answer, it helped partially. When I run the small script you gave me above, that browser_home key indeed works as 'esc' now, however at the same time it still opens up this pesky new browser window... Any idea how I can tell it to stop doing that?
Also I have one follow up question: You said the key should show up in key history - What key history? Where can I see a key history?
alex1234

Re: remapping keys on bluetooth keyboard

28 Oct 2018, 07:20

Hello there.

I´ve created the right script. Here you are the solution:

#InputLevel 1
Browser_Home::Escape
#InputLevel 0
; This hotkey can be triggered by both Browser_Home and Escape:
~Escape::Escape

Good luck mate!
"Share is the way"