ANSI 32-bit 2 Unicode 64-bit update

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
SL5

ANSI 32-bit 2 Unicode 64-bit update

17 Apr 2018, 23:48

hi there :-)

what you recomand for a new installation? Unicode 64-bit ?

my script are ANSI-32. may i update too Unicode 64-bit . i hope it helps with with some character bugs / compatibilie probs with some IDEs / Tools.

is it easy to undo this changes by installing it abain? if yes may place a hint inside the setup script.
SL5

Re: ANSI 32-bit 2 Unicode 64-bit update

17 Apr 2018, 23:57

i did it. first test result: all scripts work great :-)
qqtm

18 Apr 2018, 00:10

I switched to Unicode years ago and never encountered a problem. Of course this is very related to the tasks I run, but i think since I'm coding and scripting a lot, this will suit most cases.

Unicode is 2 Byte per Char and ANSI is 1 Byte per Char, this will be detected and interpreted correctly among almost all modern applications. Unicode comes in handy especially when moving files between different operating systems or applications that work with just one of ASCCII, ANSI, etc.. Your character bugs/compatibility issues will possibly be solved.

At last is to say that there is less format confusion between different Unicode sets as between ANSI, ASCII, EBCDI etc.
So my personal experience recommends Unicode.
SL5

21 Apr 2018, 21:31

qqtm wrote:I switched to Unicode years ago and never encountered a problem. Of course this is very related to the tasks I run, but i think since I'm coding and scripting a lot, this will suit most cases.

Unicode is 2 Byte per Char and ANSI is 1 Byte per Char, this will be detected and interpreted correctly among almost all modern applications. Unicode comes in handy especially when moving files between different operating systems or applications that work with just one of ASCCII, ANSI, etc.. Your character bugs/compatibility issues will possibly be solved.

At last is to say that there is less format confusion between different Unicode sets as between ANSI, ASCII, EBCDI etc.
So my personal experience recommends Unicode.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”