DEL key only works alone

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
Nickie

DEL key only works alone

19 Apr 2018, 05:28

hi guys ,
i've been trying to wrap y head around AHK to fit my new 75% keyboard based on a logitech K270 ,
the thing is it doesn't include a DELETE key so i've been trying to remap the PAUSE key that i don't use in this basic manner :

Code: Select all

pause::
    Send {Del}
Return

and the DEL key works indeed, but not in combination with anything, I can't do CTRL+ALT+DEL, or can't do SHIFT+DEL , nothing happens ....

is that normal ? how can i improve on that ?
swagfag

Re: DEL key only works alone

19 Apr 2018, 06:17

thats because in your current script, holding down pause doesnt hold DEL down, but rather spams it over and over again

Code: Select all

Pause::Send, {DEL Down}
Pause Up::Send, {DEL Up}
Nickie

19 Apr 2018, 06:33

i seee
i was thinking that holding and spamming were the same thing to the OS

your script still doesn't work though, i'm trying other vatiations of the concept :D

but i'm not holding down DEL btw, i'm holding every other key ( such as SHIFT for SHIFT+DEL ) and then pressing DEL, which doesn't gets registered , so i'm thinking that's not the issue ..
Last edited by Nickie on 19 Apr 2018, 08:04, edited 1 time in total.
Nickie

26 Apr 2018, 02:56

oh, and i just figured that shift will also not work with anything i remap, as the media keys i've remaped to do something else actually DO launch the media things when i use them together with shift :O

this has to be a known thing, isn't it ?
evilC

26 Apr 2018, 04:12

Del (The one above the arrow keys) is an extended key. Technically, it is Shift+NumpadDot
the DEL key works indeed, but not in combination with anything, I can't do CTRL+ALT+DEL, or can't do SHIFT+DEL
"Do"? What do you mean? AHK cannot simulate or respond to CTRL+ALT+DEL
Nickie

26 Apr 2018, 04:17

i don't want AHK to respond to ctrl+alt+ del, i want my pause key that i remapped into DEL to still work as a DEL key when i SHIFT+DEL

but even though it does work as a DEL key when used alone, it reverts to PAUSE while SHIFT is being pressed

SHIFT somehow cancels all remapping, not limited to DEL
evilC

26 Apr 2018, 04:31

Del is ALREADY a shifted key.
Put numlock in the mode so that pressing numpad 1 gives a number.
Hit NumpadDel - you get a dot.
Hold shift and hit NumpadDel - it deletes one char to left (This is what "Del" does).
In AHK, if you declare a hotkey to say F12::, then hold shift and hit F12, the hotkey will NOT fire. If you want the hotkey to fire in that instance, use *F12::

If you want COMPLETE control over the keyboard, you can use AutoHotInterception "Subscription Mode" and completely block the OS from seeing that key change state (Requires installing a custom driver).
Nickie

26 Apr 2018, 05:06

evilC wrote:Del is ALREADY a shifted key.
Put numlock in the mode so that pressing numpad 1 gives a number.
Hit NumpadDel - you get a dot.
Hold shift and hit NumpadDel - it deletes one char to left (This is what "Del" does).
but that only applies to the numpad DEL, you can't get a dot from the function cluster's DEL

In AHK, if you declare a hotkey to say F12::, then hold shift and hit F12, the hotkey will NOT fire. If you want the hotkey to fire in that instance, use *F12::

THAT's exactly my problem!
all i needed was this litle asterisk, amazing :superhappy:

thanks! :)
evilC

26 Apr 2018, 05:14

Nickie wrote:but that only applies to the numpad DEL, you can't get a dot from the function cluster's DEL
Because there is no "Unshift" button. "Function cluster DEL" = Shift + "Numpad DEL"
Nickie

26 Apr 2018, 07:26

but then how does the SHIFT+CLUSTER DEL function even exists at all ?
(and works with the non-numlocked numpad del as well)

it's quite a basic windows shortcut too

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”