#Include file "test.ahk" cannot be opened. Topic is solved

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
GollyJer

#Include file "test.ahk" cannot be opened.

29 Apr 2018, 18:04

I have the following test file in Standard Lib.

Code: Select all

MsgBox, "hi from test.ahk"

test_msg() {
  MsgBox, % "hi from test_msg()"
}
From another script, if I...
- call test_msg I get the message box. I assume this means the Standard Lib functionality is working.
- #Include c:/path/to/lib/test.ahk I get the message box.
- #Include test.ahk I get #Include file "test.ahk" cannot be opened.

From the Include documentaion it seems #Include <libname> should work.

What am I missing?
Masonjar13

Re: #Include file "test.ahk" cannot be opened.  Topic is solved

29 Apr 2018, 18:25

#include <liborfunction> does work. #include C:/path/to/file.ahk and #include <file> are two separate syntaxes. When using <>, it looks in a standard library location. When you don't use them, it assumes a relative path based on the scripts directory, or a full, exact path. So, if you use #include <test>, it will work.
My Personal Function Library | Old Build - New Build
GollyJer

Re: #Include file "test.ahk" cannot be opened.

29 Apr 2018, 19:49

Wow. I must have tried everything except literally putting the <> around the name.

Why can't AHK be more standard here?
It would be more obvious if you could just #Include filename. :)

Thanks Masonjar13 :!:
lexikos

30 Apr 2018, 00:49

#include <headername> is standard C++ syntax. Using #include libname for this purpose would be less standard, not more. ;)

#Include FileOrDir accepts a full or relative path, including extension, whereas #Include <LibName> accepts the equivalent of a function name (which works the same way as function auto-includes).

#include lib_func would have to first search for the file literally named "lib_func" in the working directory, then "lib_func.ahk" in each Lib, then "lib.ahk" in each Lib, until one is found. #include <lib_func> skips the first one, because it can be clearly distinguished from #include filename.
GollyJer

30 Apr 2018, 09:50

lexikos wrote:#include <headername> is standard C++ syntax. Using #include libname for this purpose would be less standard, not more. ;)
Ha! Makes sense. I've been writing React/ES6 Javascript and Python for the last year. I've never even looked at C++ code beyond perusing your AHK GitHub repo. :)
lexikos wrote: #Include FileOrDir accepts a full or relative path, including extension, whereas #Include <LibName> accepts the equivalent of a function name (which works the same way as function auto-includes).
Makes sense! This is a simple and clear explanation. Maybe add to the docs? Is there a way for users to contribute pull requests to the docs?

Thanks as always!
lexikos

03 May 2018, 02:03

Exactly which part of the explanation in my post is not already written, simply and clearly, in the documentation?

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”