if statement just isn't having any of it

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
bakewell66

if statement just isn't having any of it

08 May 2018, 19:29

Hi guys,
i have been trying to get this simple if statement to work and ive google'd for hours for something im doing wrong and i just can't figure it out,
all i want it to do is compare a variable to an nth of an array in a loop

my code in it's most simple form is:

Code: Select all

i := 1
loop 5 
{
	ii := Array[i]
	if (ii > %current_xp%) {
		rank = %i%
		i ++
	}
}

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Exaskryz

Re: if statement just isn't having any of it

08 May 2018, 19:46

I think the i ++ should be without a space, so i++. However, without having access to your Array nor what current_xp is, it's hard to diagnose an issue. And what is it you expect each variables value to be at the end of your process?
bakewell66

08 May 2018, 19:58

thank you for the reply

this is the array and the variable.

Array := [1, 9337, 365056, 2577829, 9863433, 18568070]
current_xp = 50

i := 1
loop 5 
{
	ii := Array[i]
	if (current_xp > %ii%) {
		rank = %i%
		i++
	}
}

i want the script to check the current_xp against requirements to do certain levels ( the numbers in the array ), if the current_xp is greater then up the rank, at the end of the script the current_xp gets increased
gregster

08 May 2018, 21:05

You are using if-expression-syntax with parentheses here, which is recommended :thumbup:. But unfortunately, you are using it wrong :shifty: Indeed, this is rather a mixup of traditional and expression if syntax.

That is why if (current_xp > %ii%) will always be true here. Each run of the loop, if will test, if (50 > 0).

You should rather use if (current_xp > ii) - that means, no %s in the expression - to compare the contents of the two variables.

If you write %ii% here, you are doing a double de-ref: that means, even if the actual content of the variable ii is the number 9337, for example, if will not compare it to 50.
Instead, AHK will look for a variable named 9337 and take its contents - unfortunately the rather lax AHK syntax allows variable names that only consist of digits - and this variable will probably be blank (you didn't define any variable named 9337 in your script - I cannot blame you for that :D ). A blank variable will be interpreted as 0 in this comparison.

Try this to see what I mean:

if (1 > %9337%)				; AHK will take the contents of the variable named 9337, which is blank --> if (1 > 0) returns true
	msgbox 9337 is blank: %9337% 
9337 := "test"					; see that a number really could be a variable name
msgbox %9337%
Btw, you are using two different styles to assign variables. You should go with the expression syntax again here (the other one will be removed in AHK v2): Use rank := i instead of rank = %i% for consistency.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”