Web scraping using IE - problem when the index number of a element changes Topic is solved

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
AHKStudent

Web scraping using IE - problem when the index number of a element changes

14 May 2018, 02:54

It is pretty common to come across a webpage that using the same class name for many elements. Usually we could rely on the index number and it will be ok, something like:

pwb.document.getElementsByClassName("control-imgx")[5].innertext

The problem is that sometimes sites change often and what is index 5 today is index 7 tomorrow.

Other than using urldownloadtovar and doing regex (my last resort for this specific project because I must use IE com anyway) is there some trick on how to make sure to get the correct value? The value always changes too, so I cannot look for it either.

Any tips on this?
Rangerbot

Re: Web scraping using IE - problem when the index number of a element changes

14 May 2018, 03:21

What is the reason you need the correct index value? are you trying to grab only one DOM elements text from a webpage? are you looking for a kind of DOM element and collecting it's text for every instance? can you give a URL to the webpage you're scraping or a similar URL along with the desired contents to be scraped? do you have any code that works or does not work and may we see it?
AHKStudent

14 May 2018, 05:00

Rangerbot wrote:What is the reason you need the correct index value? are you trying to grab only one DOM elements text from a webpage? are you looking for a kind of DOM element and collecting it's text for every instance? can you give a URL to the webpage you're scraping or a similar URL along with the desired contents to be scraped? do you have any code that works or does not work and may we see it?
I put together a very short example so you can quickly test. In this example I want to get the likes on a youtube video (without using YT API or urldownloadtovar and regex). I am wondering, if [21] changes to [22] is there a better way using ie com to get the likes? Thank you

Code: Select all

wb := ComObjCreate("InternetExplorer.Application")
wb.Visible := False
wb.Navigate("https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYpcK0tDU58")
while wb.ReadyState != 4
	sleep, 500
likes := wb.document.getElementsByClassName("yt-uix-button-content")[21].innertext
msgbox % likes
wb.quit()
ExitApp
Blackholyman

14 May 2018, 05:47

one way is to find an element that has something unique like an id or some class text unique to that element and work out from that...

Example:

while wb.ReadyState != 4
	sleep, 500
likeButtonIconElement := wb.document.getElementsByClassName("like-button-renderer-like-button")[0]
likes := likeButtonIconElement.parentNode.getElementsByClassName("yt-uix-button-content")[0].innertext
msgbox % likes
wb.quit()
ExitApp
Also check out:
Courses on AutoHotkey

My Autohotkey Blog
:dance:
AHKStudent

14 May 2018, 06:40

Blackholyman wrote:one way is to find an element that has something unique like an id or some class text unique to that element and work out from that...

Example:

while wb.ReadyState != 4
	sleep, 500
likeButtonIconElement := wb.document.getElementsByClassName("like-button-renderer-like-button")[0]
likes := likeButtonIconElement.parentNode.getElementsByClassName("yt-uix-button-content")[0].innertext
msgbox % likes
wb.quit()
ExitApp
Very cool info.

My question is, I find this data "like-button-renderer-like-button" and also "like-button-renderer-dislike-button" however, its not next to a span class its by button title =

Am I missing something ?
Blackholyman

Re: Web scraping using IE - problem when the index number of a element changes  Topic is solved

14 May 2018, 07:09

if you look at my code example i find the element (a button) with the className "like-button-renderer-like-button", and store a ref to it in the variable likeButtonIconElement then in the next line i go out from that element and use parentNode to get to its parent element in this case a span with a commen className ("yt-uix-clickcard") then use getElementsByClassName to get any elements with the className ("yt-uix-button-content") under that in this case there is only one aka [0] and then store the innertext of that element in the variable likes

so find a unique ref element and work up/down/out from that...
Also check out:
Courses on AutoHotkey

My Autohotkey Blog
:dance:

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”