Fungus Could Be Among Us

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
BGM

Fungus Could Be Among Us

31 Jan 2015, 22:03

Here is an idea for a game that I wish someone would make!

http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/inde ... 18.new#new

It's an old mac game called Fungus where competing molds try to eat each other.
It was great, simple fun way back in the 90's.

I've not got much response over at DC, so I thought I'd toss in the hook here, too and see if anyone's biting. :cookie:
cyruz

Re: Fungus Could Be Among Us

01 Feb 2015, 11:33

It's very nice and I would like to dedicate some time to it, but I have no experience with GDI stuff, it would be too long for me...

It could be created as an AutoHotkey collaborative project, but it would need a project manager and users volunteering on creating small part as per the scheduled tasks. You have any experience as project manager? If not, maybe we have some users in the forum that could do that, but it must be someone with real experience, that can lead the project. If you are interested I would try to write a private message to one of the forum administrators and try to propose the idea so that a thread can be created in the appropriate section.
ABCza on the old forum.
My GitHub.
BGM

01 Feb 2015, 11:52

Cyruz, I couldn't lead the project. What I *could* do is to make sure the game works the way it is expected - I could be a consultant for the scope of the project. I don't have enough time to spend on it either, so I was trying to see if anyone else liked the idea enough to pursue it. However, I would play it!
cyruz

01 Feb 2015, 12:13

BGM wrote:Cyruz, I couldn't lead the project. What I *could* do is to make sure the game works the way it is expected - I could be a consultant for the scope of the project. I don't have enough time to spend on it either, so I was trying to see if anyone else liked the idea enough to pursue it. However, I would play it!
Of course you would play it, me too I would :D

Anyway I don't think someone here can be interested on writing it from scratch just for fun, because it's a lot of work and the most skilled users tend to be busy with their job or other side projects. It would be different for a collaborative project, that could be nice for the community and for the users that want to learn.

My advice still hold, if you are willing to do it this way, just contact an administrator and talk with him. I have no experience on managing software development so I pledge my support on some coding tasks.
ABCza on the old forum.
My GitHub.
LinearSpoon

02 Feb 2015, 20:58

Found this:
https://github.com/unlimitedbacon/kfungus

I haven't tried it but python is cross platform so I would expect this would work for you.
BGM

02 Feb 2015, 21:55

Miss Spoon! Wow! I can't believe you found that.
I'll try it out for sure.
Thanks!
BGM

04 Jul 2015, 14:03

I've decided to try and do this.
Here's a video of the original game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHw2d2IzTyk

So, where would I start if I want to deal with the graphics and the drag-n-drop?
kevinvane

06 Jul 2015, 23:07

BGM wrote:I've decided to try and do this.
Here's a video of the original game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHw2d2IzTyk

So, where would I start if I want to deal with the graphics and the drag-n-drop?
this game look good. I will try it :)
BGM

Re: Fungus Could Be Among Us (attn: GeekDude)

21 Jul 2015, 13:52

Okay, I have something started.
I took a good look at GeekDude's (thank you!) Othello script to learn how to generate the board.
So now I have a gdip generated board where I can adjust the size and amount of the squares.

But I don't know how to approach the rest.

So far, I have an interface with a playing board, and I have little icons for the mushroom heads and the tooth and bite and a place to keep score and a place to keep track of bites.

Questions I have right now:
- make it so the user can drag shapes from the proffering area onto the gameboard?
- Should I use bitmaps for the tetris-like pieces, or should I generate them via gdip? I think bitmaps would be easier.
- Once a piece is placed, how do I get it onto the board?
- Once the piece is on the board, how do I make it take over the right squares of the opponent?

Any ideas or advice is most welcome. I've never made a game like this before.

Here is a screenshot so far (you can still see GeekDude's Othello pieces in the middle...):
screenshot_AutoHotkey (AutoHotkey Unicode 32-bit)_029.png

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”