pAHKlight - Your Lightweight Guide to AHK libs+classes+tools

Post your working scripts, libraries and tools for AHK v1.1 and older

Where should the central database be located?

On GH - either ahkscript or other repository (at least several users with access) - offers some quality control (format of database)
68%
Wiki on ahkscript.org (lacks quality control)
8%
Don't care as long as it accessible
21%
Nowhere - this is a stupid idea
3%

Total votes: 66
ahk7

Re: pAHKlight - Your Lightweight Guide to AHK libs+classes+t

28 Jan 2014, 13:17

george2 wrote:This tool looks pretty nice, I'm glad to see someone is working on a library management tool again.
george2 wrote:Most of the stuff in my GH repo is submodules, meaning it points directly to the upstream source on GitHub. Libraries that exist only on the AHK forums or on AHK.net are more difficult, so there are only a few of these included. I did contact the devs I knew beforehand to make sure they were OK with me posting the libraries in this way, and all of the libraries in this repo have links to the upstream sources included.
1 - That is not entirely true I'm afraid :-) Your collections contains collections like https://github.com/george2/ahk-libs/tre ... /ahkstdlib (tuncays old collection) or "submodules" like camerbs AHKs which both contain old copies of my TF lib (probably more around if I look further). This proofs my point of having old material out of the control of the original author(s). Also most of the material is NOT available on GH for the reason the author(s) are not (yet) on GH or have decided to post it only on a forum.

2 - If I look at demo version of joedfs GH Repo browser you can already see some other problems with this solution (at this stage that is) from a user perspective: for example, look at the entry for Masterfocus - there is no indication what that "entry" contains. Many GH repos lack useful descriptions apart from the very succinct description you're asked to enter when adding a GH repo, and if it is a collection of scripts as is the case with Masterfocus you're stuck. A GH repo doesn't have a file description - you would have to ask the repo owner to add addtional information in fixed format if you wanted to read meaningful info.

That is why my gut reaction is that this is not the way to go. Can you have a list of useful* libraries, I'm sure you can, but in that regards maul-esel libba.net solution was actually the way to go by giving control and responsibility to the authors. But that solution is very complicated and far beyond most AHK programmers capabilities.

* As hoppfrosch says: who is going to decide whats useful - I never used GDI+ and doubt I will in future to name one example. So it would always be a "recommended" list with some editorial checks.

Of course everyone is welcome to develop a system :-)
joedf

28 Jan 2014, 17:16

alright ahk7 make yourself a trello account, so we can discuss in a organizational way : https://trello.com/ahkscript
just send me a reply of your username and ill add you asap ;)

of course, anyone is welcome to join the ahkscript trello org, just post your username ;)
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
george2

28 Jan 2014, 23:27

ahk7 wrote:1 - That is not entirely true I'm afraid :-) Your collections contains collections like https://github.com/george2/ahk-libs/tre ... /ahkstdlib (tuncays old collection) or "submodules" like camerbs AHKs which both contain old copies of my TF lib (probably more around if I look further). This proofs my point of having old material out of the control of the original author(s). Also most of the material is NOT available on GH for the reason the author(s) are not (yet) on GH or have decided to post it only on a forum.
Sorry, if there's something of yours in there that you'd rather wasn't, I'll remove it. :) The README contains a link to the ahkstdlib upstream (forum page), but you're right, it is out of control of the original authors at this point, and many of those scripts are probably out of date. And I have no idea what all is in camerb's repo. :) I should clarify that git submodules are nothing but a link to another git repository, so none of the code inside submodules actually exists inside my "meta-repo".
ahk7

29 Jan 2014, 12:49

george2 wrote:Sorry, if there's something of yours in there that you'd rather wasn't, I'll remove it.
No need - that would break tuncays script for those that would download it via your repo.
ahk7

29 Jan 2014, 12:51

joedf wrote:alright ahk7 make yourself a trello account
I don't like trello so I won't join I'm afraid. As long as the author of a package (lib) remains in control of his/her own package I think any system is fine.
joedf

30 Jan 2014, 22:07

thats ok... :P so im starting a "page" ... i need consulting :P ;)
temporarily hosted here while in dev stage: http://joedf.users.sourceforge.net/server/ahk/aspdm
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
fischgeek

31 Jan 2014, 16:18

Sorry for jumping in here late, but is it possible to request the requirement of any user created libs to properly format their documentation code and use GenDocs and include that in their commits?
joedf

31 Jan 2014, 17:45

I do like a standardized library format requirement .. Idea .. :P
fischgeek

31 Jan 2014, 17:46

not only that, all the documentation for the function/library would be in it's own index.html page.
timeFlies

31 Jan 2014, 19:54

I think no. Too many restrictions and rules will only make this less successful. Besides, there are dozens and dozens of things that would be included that having everybody modify them is beyond impractical.
fischgeek

31 Jan 2014, 20:41

I disagree. Well documented code is essential. Code with no documentation can be difficult to understand the original intention and options. Often times creators of library functions declare single character variables which is hard to follow throughout the function. This wouldn't be a problem if the library was documented correctly so that GenDocs can pick it up. It's no different than MSDN or any online repository of information that explains code, classes, functions etc. Not documenting code that's intended for the community's usage (and more importantly newbies) is, IMO laziness.

Think about the last time you looked up a jquery function, or an object or a class on MSDN. It's well documented isn't it?

Having a standard on how contributors submit their code would make it successful. If everyone documents their code in a different way (or heaven forbid not at all) then it would just become a cluster of a mess!
kon

31 Jan 2014, 22:31

I tend to agree with fischgeek, but I also see chaz's point too.
The deciding factor will be the scope of the scripts included.
If only scripts deemed worthy of belonging to a standard lib are included, then by definition there will be fewer scripts to document and maintain, thus documentation requirements should be stricter.
But if this project turns into a vast collection of scripts, enforcing strict requirements may be impractical.
There was talk of a standard lib and a separate collection of scripts. Is there a consensus on that yet?
timeFlies

31 Jan 2014, 23:07

My point was is that there should not be strict rules that must be followed exactly. Of course documentation is necessary and a requirement to be included, but to tell everybody that "you have to document exactly THIS way" and to track down all the original authors who no longer frequent the fora of some libs and get them to change their documentation is, like I said, impractical.
fincs

01 Feb 2014, 05:55

Just wanted to say that standard (albeit not forced) documentation formats are actually very common in programming languages. Java has JavaDoc, Ruby has RDoc, C#/VB have XML comments, Perl has perlpod...
fincs
Windows 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X with 32 GB of RAM | AutoHotkey v2.0.0 + v1.1.36.02
Get SciTE4AutoHotkey v3.1.0 - [My project list]
fischgeek

01 Feb 2014, 10:45

@chaz - I understand your POV. kon mentioned something I forgot to when I made my post. If a script is deemed "worthy" to be in this or any standard library, then I believe someone (perhaps not even the original author) document it. I think a set standard saying your documentation must be in a certain way isn't too unrealistic.

@fincs - Doxygen is what we use for our C# and Java documentation. I haven't seen the xml versions before.
joedf

01 Feb 2014, 18:11

alright, i need somebody to take of the "DOCS" part of this big project.... Im working on a Web-Frontend for this.. ASPDM ;)
tuncay

28 May 2014, 18:09

Hi guys, nice to see you alive and working on. This project have my sympathies. :D I am back, but not fully yet...

I just wanted note the reason why I started the collection that day. First reason was, I wanted to have a collection everybody needs to download once with all associated files like documentation. That would help installing and checking the libraries on multiple computers, even the dependencies are checked. Some libs was like standard libs, as they got used a lot. Also there was many gems out, which was useful but not well known. A project in the list means, it is compatible with the stdlib feature of AutoHotkey (it was new at that time). Not compatible ones was made compatible by me. All authors, licenses and documentation was included, so checking these was easy. All of these was a backup too. I don't see it as a loosing control of the files. They are included in other scripts too.

But today, even the main script does not work on the newest AutoHotkey version under Windows 7. Most of them are for AutoHotkey Basic only. That is why, I appreciate a new collection. But I don't like having a collection where everybody have full access. Importing virus or some harmful programs is easy then. A check is needed in any case.
joedf

28 May 2014, 23:23

Hey tuncay, if you want, post a Github username so I can add you to the ahkscript github group... I have started ASPDM with fincs, everyone can help and contribute, it is still on going... Anyway, cheers ;)
http://dev.aspdm.tk
http://aspdm.tk
ahk7

29 May 2014, 09:07

tuncay wrote:Hi guys, nice to see you alive and working on. This project have my sympathies. :D
Thanks
tuncay wrote:I am back, but not fully yet...
Good to see you're back - I see you also re-posted your AHK Standard Lib collection - nice.

I don't think pAHKlight is the final answer - there seems to be some continuous progress with https://github.com/ahkscript/ASPDM so once that solution is actually live - pAHKlight should go the way of the dodo and I'll probably remove the GitHub repo to avoid any confusion.

Return to “Scripts and Functions (v1)”