Rubbish - System Tray Recycle Bin

Post your working scripts, libraries and tools for AHK v1.1 and older
TheDewd

Rubbish - System Tray Recycle Bin

17 Jan 2017, 10:58

Introduction
Rubbish is an application that creates a tray icon to represent the Windows recycle bin. The basic functions of the desktop recycle bin icon can be accessed via Rubbish from your system tray area.

Please provide any feedback or suggestions to help improve the application.

Revision History

Code: Select all

Revision 4 (2017-09-05)
* Changed implementation of language & translation
* Optimized functions
* Bug fixes
* Minor UI Tweaks

Revision 3 (2017-01-23)
* Minor UI tweaks
* Added option to confirm exiting the application
* Added Automatic Recycle feature

Revision 2 (2017-01-21)
* Updated to work with all fixed drives
* Added option to hide the desktop recycle bin icon
* Improved the user interface
* Enabled customizing the language for the entire script via INI file

Revision 1 (2017-01-17)
* Initial release
Downloads
The most recent release of Rubbish
Rubbish_Rev4_2017-09-05.zip (25.23 KB) - September 05, 2017

These files are outdated and kept for archival purposes only. Please refer to the most recent releases for the latest additions and improvements.
Rubbish_Rev3_2017-01-23.zip (10.85 KB) - January 23, 2017
Rubbish_Rev2_2017-01-21.zip (10.21 KB) - January 21, 2017
Rubbish_Rev1_2017-01-17.zip (6.64 KB) - January 17, 2017

*All downloads are stored on Dropbox

Screenshots
Rubbish - Settings (General)

Rubbish - Settings (Advanced)

Rubbish - Settings (Appearance)

Rubbish - Settings (About)

Rubbish - Tray Icon (TrayTip)

Rubbish - Tray Icon (Context Menu)

* Screenshots may not reflect all current features of the latest release.
Last edited by TheDewd on 06 Sep 2017, 07:59, edited 15 times in total.
davebrny

Re: Rubbish - System Tray Recycle Bin

17 Jan 2017, 12:17

nice looking rubbish :D

i wouldnt be in a mad rush to be trying out things with hex in them though... it could be anything in there right? ...or maybe im just being overly paranoid.

in case you dont know, you can combine those 3 icons into one .ico file and then switch between them using numbers. i cant remember the name of the program i used to do it now, but maybe somebody else knows more about how its done

Code: Select all

menu, tray, icon, % icon_path, 1
menu, tray, icon, % icon_path, 2
TheDewd

17 Jan 2017, 12:41

davebrny wrote:i wouldnt be in a mad rush to be trying out things with hex in them...
That's understandable. I just liked the idea of having everything in a single script without having to include external resource files or packaging the files into a compressed archive. I will keep your concerns in mind for any future revisions.
davebrny wrote:in case you dont know, you can combine those 3 icons into one .ico file
Yes, I'm aware of this. This script was inspired by similar programs such as MiniBin (https://e-sushi.github.io/), and during the initial development of the script I decided to keep the icon format the same. MiniBin theme icons are compatible with this script for full or empty. I will look into allowing multi icons as well.
gwarble

17 Jan 2017, 19:42

Cool idea... in case you want to remove the recycle bin from the desktop when using this instead it can be done from gpedit.msc > administrative... > control panel > desktop > "remove recycle bin from desktop" > enabled
How to do that programmatically i don't know but it would be a cool feature of Rubbish
EitherMouse - Multiple mice, individual settings . . . . www.EitherMouse.com . . . . forum . . . .
moefr01

21 Jan 2017, 06:10

really nice work... thanks a lot lot TheDewd.

I am using Win10Pro 64bit and I've noticed the following abnormality:
- when using a second (or more?) harddrives/partitions internally, deleting files on it: no reaction to the bin-icons (full/empty)

I've tested this issue with the Windows-system related desktop-trashcan enabled and these desktopicons are changing as expected.
Seems working only with the system-partition... any hint?

cheers
moefr01
TheDewd

21 Jan 2017, 12:42

moefr01 wrote:...Seems working only with the system-partition... any hint?
I updated the script. Please try the newest version and let me know if this fixed your issue! Thank you!
moefr01

21 Jan 2017, 14:15

TheDewd wrote:
moefr01 wrote:...Seems working only with the system-partition... any hint?
I updated the script. Please try the newest version and let me know if this fixed your issue! Thank you!
thanks for the update... following occurs after testing intensively:

1. deleting files/folders on several harddisc-partitions (even USB-drives) works now -> traysymbol changed to full-icon :thumbup:
2. empty recycle bin... from rubbish-menu doesn't start any recycling action -> traysymbol didn't change (desktopicon-recycling per rightclick works) :(
3. changing the language.ini file esp. 38=settings to 38=Einstellungen has no effect after choosing :(
moefr01

21 Jan 2017, 17:02

got the bugs... :crazy:

line 323: } Else If (ItemName = "Empty Recycle Bin...") {
line 385: HR := DllCall("Shell32.dll\SHQueryRecycleBin", "Str", "", (A_PtrSize = 8) ? "Ptr" : "UInt", &SHQUERYRBINFO, "UInt")
line 392: return DllCall("Shell32.dll\SHEmptyRecycleBin", "UInt", 0, "Str", "", "UInt", Flags)

explanations:
line 323: didn't resolve MenuHandler regarding ItemName without "..."
line 385/392: rootpath-string should be null to query/empty recycle bins on all drives
(see: https://msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/librar ... s.85).aspx)

moefr01 :wave:
moefr01

21 Jan 2017, 17:32

P.S.:
size and item-counting failed... here's the corrected code:

replace line 62 - 80 with

RBQuery:
/*
TotalSize := 0
TotalNumItems := 0

DriveGet, FixedDrives, List, Fixed

Loop, Parse, FixedDrives
{
SHQueryRecycleBin(A_LoopField ":\", Size, NumItems)
TotalSize += Size
TotalNumItems += NumItems
}
*/
SHQueryRecycleBin("C:\", TotalSize, TotalNumItems)
Menu, Tray, % (!TotalNumItems ? "Disable" : "Enable"), 2&
Menu, Tray, Tip, % StrFormatByteSize(TotalSize) "`n" TotalNumItems " " (TotalNumItems = 1 ? Lang32 : Lang33)
Menu, Tray, Icon, % (TotalNumItems ? FileExist(IconFull) ? IconFull : dIconFull : FileExist(IconEmpty) ? IconEmpty : dIconEmpty)
return

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
moefr01 :wave:
TheDewd

21 Jan 2017, 20:43

@moefr01,

I replaced the download with an updated version fixing issues you detected.

I don't understand your issue with "size and item-counting failed" though. You are commenting out the fix for counting files on the non-system partitions.

Can you please elaborate more on this issue? I don't have extra partitions to test, so your input is valuable. Thanks! :D
moefr01

22 Jan 2017, 02:53

:bravo: @TheDewd ...works now as expected! :bravo:

size and item-counting failed issue regards only your previously release: it double-counted the recyclebin items, so I tried to recode as in your first release.. that worked fine temporarily.

Now I've tested your last release without any issues, all settings including changes for the languagetext and icons work great... PERFECT!!! :thumbup:
In addition: extra partitions and USB-drives are fully supported

thanks a lot for your time, code and efforts...
:wave: moefr01
TheDewd

23 Jan 2017, 15:01

Rubbish has been updated to Revision 3 (2017-01-23).

I made a few minor UI tweaks, added an option to request confirmation to exit the application, and added a feature to automatically empty the recycle bin based on a defined rule.

Please let me know if anyone encounters any issues.
TheDewd

05 Sep 2017, 16:00

Rubbish has been updated to Revision 4 (2017-09-05).
stuvw

25 May 2022, 23:11

I am using the Rubbish recycle bin script because you can't pin the (empty/full changing) recycle bin to the taskbar in windows 11. I really like it, however the
default Windows tray (now called Corner Overflow) icons are by default smaller that taskbar icons and Rubbish is sized likewise.
Is there a way to make the Rubbish (tray) icon the same size as the task bar icons? Alternatively can the icon be placed in the taskbar instead?
Thanks.
TheDewd

26 May 2022, 07:38

stuvw wrote:
I am using the Rubbish recycle bin script because you can't pin the (empty/full changing) recycle bin to the taskbar in windows 11. I really like it, however the
default Windows tray (now called Corner Overflow) icons are by default smaller that taskbar icons and Rubbish is sized likewise.
Is there a way to make the Rubbish (tray) icon the same size as the task bar icons? Alternatively can the icon be placed in the taskbar instead?
Thanks.
I will have to rely on someone else to assist you with this. I don't yet have Windows 11 so I am unable to do any testing for your request. I am sorry!
stuvw

07 Jul 2022, 11:54

TheDewd wrote:
26 May 2022, 07:38
stuvw wrote:
Thanks.
I will have to rely on someone else to assist you with this. I don't yet have Windows 11 so I am unable to do any testing for your request. I am sorry!
Thanks for your reply.
rubbih.jpg
rubbih.jpg (8.57 KiB) Viewed 10682 times
I'm sure windows 10 is the same. See the picture - 1. Is your icon. 2 appears on the taskbar when right click 'settings' is chosen on your icon. You can se the size differences.
DocBean

14 Aug 2023, 03:26

For some reason, when I start the PC up, the Rubbish.ini file opens in Notepad and display on the desktop. It didn't happen before, only during the last few weeks.

The Rubbish.ahk file is in C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup (as well as the *.ini file) so that it starts up when Windows 10 starts. Is this the correct way of using it?
TheDewd

14 Aug 2023, 07:18

DocBean wrote:
14 Aug 2023, 03:26
For some reason, when I start the PC up, the Rubbish.ini file opens in Notepad and display on the desktop. It didn't happen before, only during the last few weeks.

The Rubbish.ahk file is in C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup (as well as the *.ini file) so that it starts up when Windows 10 starts. Is this the correct way of using it?
It sounds like you have the actual ahk script file in the startup folder. Both ahk and ini file should be placed somewhere different, and then put a shortcut to the ahk file in the startup folder.

Return to “Scripts and Functions (v1)”