Guidelines: sharing code, no pranks, etc.

Post your working scripts, libraries and tools for AHK v1.1 and older
nnnik

Guidelines: sharing code, no pranks, etc.

18 Jul 2017, 01:41

In order to share your script in the "Scripts and Functions" forums, it is necessary to share the source code of your script in some form.
It is not enough to share compiled .exe files - though it is possible to extract the source from them.
Obfuscating your Source Code using any sort of method is only permitted for code parts that have a good reason to be protected.
Possible methods include, but are not limited to:
  • directly posting into the topic using the script BB-Code tags
  • sharing your source on GitHub
  • offering a download
joedf

NO PRANKS or any other potentially harmful stuff is allowed!

18 Jul 2017, 13:02

from tidbit: https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/1106 ... s-allowed/

Autohotkey will now have a strict "no pranks or purposefully annoying or other harmful stuff allowed" policy.
Absolutely none.

These may (but not limited to) include:
- fake bsod
- disabling mouse or keyboard
- making files in every folder on the pc
- deleting certain files with the intent to destroy a pc or annoy a user.
- turning up the volume to 100% and playing a loud/obnoxious/rude/annoying sound
- doing anything to destroy a pc or annoy a user on purpose.

Why a new zero-tolerance rule?
Not everyone is PC-literate. If their mouse breaks or the pc starts randomly jamming or sending other keys, they might go out and buy a new keyboard. Or even worse, a new monitor or PC all-together! That's making people waste hard-earned money.
That is just 1 example, it applies to any situation where a user might not like what is happening to them.
Also, anti-virus and anti-maleware products do not like AHK because of a lot of stuff users make, like 'pranks'. So AHK gets flagged as being malicious, which affects a LOT of people (usually people trying to bring AHK to work).

If you post anything malicious, you'll get a warning and it'll be removed.
Based on the severity of it you might even be banned, if you're a repeat offender or it's bad enough.

This topic will be open for discussion, unless it gets out of hand. Keep it on-topic and clean, please.
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
wolf_II

Re: NO PRANKS or any other potentially harmful stuff is allowed!

18 Jul 2017, 14:10

I recently reported a thread where help was requested for "spamming something real fast to annoy fellow gamers" or something to that effect.
No action was taken in response to my report. Will that report regarded differently now with the new policy?
I welcome the new policy!!
I have to search for the post/thread for you to confirm, of course. Or have you got the means to view past reports?
tank

18 Jul 2017, 14:34

Might have just gotten missed
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
just me

18 Jul 2017, 15:50

tank wrote:Might have just gotten missed
I'd say 'ignored', same as other violations of forum regulations.
Masonjar13

18 Jul 2017, 16:15

wolf_II wrote:I recently reported a thread where help was requested for "spamming something real fast to annoy fellow gamers" or something to that effect.
No action was taken in response to my report. Will that report regarded differently now with the new policy?
I do believe this was always the policy. I haven't personally seen many threads that fall in that category, but I don't often browse this sub.

I just checked and didn't see any reports with that name (or similar) this month. Was it earlier than that?
My Personal Function Library | Old Build - New Build
wolf_II

18 Jul 2017, 16:19

I am perfectly willing to let it go. But I feel compelled to mention there was a notification from a Spam Officer who has actively closed the issue.
Also, I am not entirely sure if I interpreted said notification correctly, I have never reported anything before that, and only one of my own posts afterwards.
And to be completely true: There were some reports by me concerning spam from banned former user, and some advertisings, but this was the first where I ticked the option to receive a notification.

So my impression is the same as just me's: it was ignored. I can't find the post/thread, maybe it got deleted after all and it took a while to disappear. I just stopped checking for any changes there. If in doubt, I doubt myself.

Edit: (after reading Masonjar13's post)
It is about 6-8 weeks ago, maybe longer.
Masonjar13

18 Jul 2017, 16:33

Still can't find it, sorry :( It should still be in your notifications, though. As to not get off-topic, if you find it, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll check again.
My Personal Function Library | Old Build - New Build
joedf

18 Jul 2017, 17:16

I didn't know of this... this was of course always the policy. please pm me directly if you feel it necessary.
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
mshafer1

Re: Guidelines: sharing code, no pranks, etc.

22 Jul 2018, 07:34

nnnik wrote:In order to share your script in the "Scripts and Functions" forums, it is necessary to share the source code of your script in some form.
It is not enough to share compiled .exe files - though it is possible to extract the source from them.
Obfuscating your Source Code using any sort of method is only permitted for code parts that have a good reason to be protected.
Possible methods include, but are not limited to:
  • directly posting into the topic using the script BB-Code tags
  • sharing your source on GitHub
  • offering a download
Just wanted to add AHKgen.com link (example: http://ahkgen.com/defaultconfig )
peter_ahk

01 Mar 2024, 20:06

hello years ago i created a tool for fl studio to make routing more easy to do. my tool contains close to 4 million mapping formulas changing 0 to 1 behavior that can be accessed by a short code that then replaces it with the formula i lost the source code a few months ago on a crash but did find someone who stil had the exe. i have given it a home and now share it for free.

my question am i allowed to share that in a post here, it would link to a site i share it on coz its 40mb+ big
gregster

02 Mar 2024, 02:58

@peter_ahk, I would say that an exe-file doesn't belong in this forum. That's our usual policy and based on your description I don't see a reason for an exception in this case.

That said, of course useful software is always appreciated.

This means, if you are not able or don't want to extract the AHK source code from your own exe-file (you might know that this is usually easy if you didn't use any compressors or additional code protection methods), I would suggest to create a topic in our Other Utilities & Resources forum with a link to the download and a description.
peter_ahk

02 Mar 2024, 03:07

gregster wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 02:58
@peter_ahk, I would say that an exe-file doesn't belong in this forum. That's our usual policy and I don't see a reason for an exception in this case.

That said, of course useful software is always appreciated.

This means, if you are not able extract the AHK source code from your own exe-file (you might know that this is usually easy if you didn't use any compressors or additional code protection methods), I would suggest to create a topic in our Other Utilities & Resources forum with a link to the download and a description.
i was unable to extract it the file is to big (i think) i remember when working on it i reached the limit of how many lines i could add to a script editor wise. if i try to open it to see the source code in notepad or something it just stopt trying at some point never showing me the code only compiler stuff. and it does not help that every bit of the code is a math formulas i gues makes it very hard to read :)

i am happy to share that if someone can get to see it somehow :) he i dont mind having my code back but i will do as you suggest and prepare a post one of these days with some explenation.

thank you

Return to “Scripts and Functions (v1)”