PopupFolder

Post your working scripts, libraries and tools for AHK v1.1 and older
func

PopupFolder

12 Aug 2017, 03:43

This script is designed to be used like a menu launcher, it's efficient because the GUI you use to build your menu is windows explorer. Simply add .lnk files to add programs, .url files for website shortcuts, and all your favorite folders and files and scripts. Folders can be used to create popup menus, allowing you to create very complex menu hierarchies. As an alternative to moving your favorite folders and files, you can create shortcuts/links to the existing locations in whatever directory you choose to have as your menu-launcher folder in.

Default hotkeys to show the menu:
  • Xbutton2 (special mouse button)
  • Win+Z
Features:
  • Menu opens at cursor location
  • Folders inside the specified folder create popup menus which contain the files and folders inside them as menu items
  • Small menu icons are extracted from files for the menu items, you can change the icon in windows and in this menu by using the properties dialog in windows explorer
  • Folders are monitored (including sub-folders) for any changes, and the menu updates
  • Every menu has a topmost menu item that allows you to open that corresponding menu's folder in explorer, it's named "Open [FolderPath]"
  • Ignores hidden, read only, and system files
  • Sort folders then files
Suggested folder structure:

Code: Select all

Everything.lnk (used as a quick way to get to search)
Files
	To do list.txt
Folders
	Desktop
	Downloads
	Documents
	Pictures
Programs
	Firefox
	Word
	Powerpoint
	Excel
Scripts
	MyScript.ahk
	WinInfo.ahk
Websites
	Facebook
	Gmail

Items on the wishlist would make this script better, if anyone wants to implement some
Attachments
PopupFolder.zip
(5.51 KiB) Downloaded 639 times
rommmcek

Re: PopupFolder

12 Aug 2017, 09:29

This looks like a great concept. Currently I'm using Savage's Easy Access, but in the future I could imagine to switch over to the PopupFolder.
Helgef

25 Aug 2017, 11:24

Hello func. Thank you very much for sharing this very nice script. :thumbup:
Are you considering adding an option to allow multiple root dirs. It seems it wouldn't be trivial, but it would be very handy. :geek:

Occasionally there are exceptions due to icon handles being 0.

Cheers.
Danielsan73

29 Aug 2017, 03:14

Hi, thankyou for this good script:

There is a way to sort folders in albhabetic order?

some iusses when thread retry an exctraction icon error in some case, then thread interrupt and not all files and folders will be displayed, can you put a skip option in extractoin func ?

TY
JPMuir

08 Mar 2022, 18:58

What a Wonderful script Func !

I simply entered a folder I had created as a Windows desktop toolbar (I called it DeskQuick) which I used constantly to access frequent files and folders.

The PopupFolder.ahk script handled it perfectly, I would say flawlessly, including all the icons.

I put the run command filename parameter inside quotes. Not sure it was necessary, but I was encountering a problem with one of the shortcuts for some reason and this fixed it.

OpenFile:

run "%A_ThisMenu%\%A_ThisMenuItem%"

return
JPMuir

08 Mar 2022, 19:11

Illustration of PopupFolder script on my desktop
Attachments
image.png
image.png (159.27 KiB) Viewed 2913 times
gibbons6546

26 Mar 2022, 16:26

This is great. Just started using it. Thanks
JPMuir

27 Mar 2022, 08:49

I did run into a problem with my media folder. For some reason the icons in some of the music files/folders choked the popupmenu and rendered it in error. I had to disconnect my music folder from the popup. The error was "couldn't load icon" and I suspected some were malformed or problematic. I haven't been able to find out why. Nothing else is a problem, just that folder and its subfolders containing music files, mp3s, flac, and cover images.
likethevegetable

05 Oct 2022, 11:16

Just wondering if there are any updates on this? So far so good!
Skrell

18 Oct 2023, 16:13

This is PERFECT except for 1 thing: I'd love to be able to right-click on each item and get the standard windows menu for copy/delete etc...
FilouTech

23 Jan 2024, 13:21

Hey FUNC, like the script.
I added some code to the ExtractIcon script. Now the original icon from the LNK shortcut target will be shown. No more shortcut arrows in LNK files. In most cases, except Microsoft applications.
Of course I couldn't test every scenario. So I hope it runs stable.

I also repurposed the PopupFolder script and made one of my one: IconMenuLauncher.
This script opens the menulist as soon as you click (or double-click) the IconMenuLauncher icon.
Intended to be added to the Windows taskbar.
Added options:
- Turn on and off "Open Folder" entry
- Turn on and off an "Edit script" entry
- Turn on and off "Show icons"
- Turn on and off "Separators"
- Turn on and off "Open Folder" in subfolders
- GUI message if the folderpath (rootdir) isn't correct.
- ...and some other stuff

Only possible downside: it's in German.
Attachments
PopUpFolder.zip
Added some code to the ExtractIcon script to get the proper icon for LNK files
(5.89 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
IconMenuLauncher.zip
Repurposed PopupFolder script
(6.95 KiB) Downloaded 75 times

Return to “Scripts and Functions (v1)”