Find dialog with whole word and RegEx support

Post your working scripts, libraries and tools
jeeswg

Find dialog with whole word and RegEx support

07 Jun 2018, 23:38

- Here is a script to replace Notepad's Find dialog with a more powerful Find dialog. It overrides the Ctrl+F and F3 hotkeys. The window criteria can be changed to make the script work on other programs that use Edit controls.
- The script is an AHK v2 script, rather than an AHK v1.1 script, because AHK v2 is much better for producing GUIs.

Code: [Select all] [Expand] [Download] GeSHi © Codebox Plus

Last edited by jeeswg on 12 Jun 2018, 07:28, edited 1 time in total.
Helgef

Re: Find dialog with whole word and RegEx support

11 Jun 2018, 10:43

Very nice jeeswg, it works well. I would probably catch regex exceptions and display the error in the search dialog, maybe color the needle red when it is invalid.

Thanks for sharing, cheers.
jeeswg

12 Jun 2018, 07:39

- Thanks for testing Helgef. I've added in error handling for RegEx.
- I've set the zoom to 1.5x and to the position that I myself use. The previous values (still available as comments) were 1.8x (to display the text without truncation) and centred (the default when no position is specified).
- I've made the buttons single-line (as in an older prototype script), this makes them look better when the text is too big for the Button control. (It prevents vertical centring and wraparound.)

- I just used the script for the first time, I wanted to do a RegEx search for \d:\d.
- I had been using a very similar script, that lacked the RegEx handling. However, that script used my unfinished custom GUI function library, and so wasn't going to be ready to share for a while. It had the advantage of having no icon. It also had the advantage of having a custom class name, #32770, it was thus compatible with existing hotkeys that I'd defined for the Notepad Find dialog.
- This script flashes each time it's used on Notepad, although I don't notice this when it's of a certain position and size. I had wondered about temporarily changing the window parent/owner, in case this could avoid the flash.
- I presume that you wouldn't get the flash, if you used this script as part of your own GUI, e.g. for a custom Notepad replacement.

12 Jun 2018, 07:41

How about a screenshot for those who can't bothered to download v2 just to have a peek at how it looks :-)

Return to “Scripts and Functions”