[Editor] CodeQuickTester - Write and run code without saving to a temporary file

Post your working scripts, libraries and tools for AHK v1.1 and older
geek

Re: CodeQuickTester

04 Aug 2017, 10:39

It's still RichEdit, with a RegEx based highlighter.
maestrith

04 Aug 2017, 10:42

Neat :) I'd be interested to see some of the code for it :)
John H Wilson III 05/29/51 - 03/01/2020. You will be missed.AHK Studio OSDGUI Creator
Donations
Discord
All code is done on a 64 bit Windows 10 PC Running AutoHotkey x32
CAH9t

05 Aug 2017, 10:39

Hi, Do you plan any ctrl+y ctrl+z features with more than one step behind\one step ahead?
geek

05 Aug 2017, 10:44

That restriction stems from me having disabled the highlighting abilities of the Rich Edit control. Once I'm done implementing the highlighter, a larger undo buffer will be available. I expect to have it ready within the next few days.
geek

05 Aug 2017, 18:24

A new version of CodeQuickTester has been released. See the OP for links.

Edit: Just noticed that I accidentally removed the "Indent": "`t" setting used by the auto-indenter. Please re-add this to the settings array if you want to use the auto-indentation feature.
Helgef

06 Aug 2017, 04:21

Looks very nice and neatly coded, good job :thumbup:. Thanks for sharing.
geek

Re: CodeQuickTester - Write and run code without touching the file system

08 Aug 2017, 20:44

A new version has been released fixing a few of the issues from the previous release.

Please see the original post for a link to the releases page.
geek

11 Aug 2017, 12:53

I'm looking to change the default font for the next beta release, hopefully to something that works better under WINE. I've put a poll in the original post, can those who will be affected please vote? Thanks!

If the font you want is not listed there, please reply to this thread. It's hard to fit everything into 10 options.
derz00

11 Aug 2017, 16:43

What is WINE?

I'll vote Courier New 10pt even though I think Consolas is prettier.

The lack of ability to highlight from right to left is annoying. :) Is this complicated to fix? (Likely)

But I really like the new Syntax Highlighting. :thumbup:
try it and see
geek

11 Aug 2017, 17:13

WINE is a compatibility layer for running Windows applications under Linux and OSX. I've fixed the highlighting issue already, but I'm holding off on pushing a release until I've settled on a font. You can download the fixed version from GitHub, but you'd need to put all the includes together yourself if you want a single file.
derz00

11 Aug 2017, 18:54

Sounds great. I just figured out how to set up your greasemonkey script to open code from boxes on this forum. Wow, slick, useful.
It's great you're keeping this tool up to date. One thing I ran into is Ctrl + H doesn't work to open the help file for me. I get this error.
http://p.ahkscript.org/?p=97074e96
Why is the path to the help file AutoHotkey.exe\..\AutoHotkey.chm? Is that a bug or a problem with me somehow?
try it and see
geek

11 Aug 2017, 19:03

The \.. takes it up a level, so up a level from the ahk exe is the folder containing it. Where is your help file located?
CAH9t

12 Aug 2017, 01:05

Hi GeekDude. Thank you. Very nice work! Undo buffer pleases my heart. And template option is convenient.

About font.
My money is on Courier new 11 or 12 ( I marked 12 in the vote ). Current is way too rough on my eyes (too small on 24' 1080p). The way I see the spread of votes is everybody has his own font :) . Maybe it's gonna need an adjustable font size via one variable or interfacing.

Some notes.
1. I noticed that Esc works as global hotkey to stop the script. That could be fishy, because Esc is a very usable key which may result in a not needed tested script kill . Maybe you can apply less widespread key or key combo , or make it adjustable.
2. Reload button . Could be simple useful Interface improvement . I know that clicking kill two times produces the same outcome, but on the other side there is room aplenty near the kill button .
3. In some cases the global run button can be useful. Consider to make it chooseable (another button) or at least global\local switch.
geek

12 Aug 2017, 08:18

CAH9t wrote:Hi GeekDude. Thank you. Very nice work! Undo buffer pleases my heart. And template option is convenient.
Glad to hear you like it!
CAH9t wrote:About font.
My money is on Courier new 11 or 12 ( I marked 12 in the vote ). Current is way too rough on my eyes (too small on 24' 1080p). The way I see the spread of votes is everybody has his own font :) . Maybe it's gonna need an adjustable font size via one variable or interfacing.
It already is configurable in the Settings array at the top of the script. I'm looking to change the default setting in that array.
CAH9t wrote:Some notes.
1. I noticed that Esc works as global hotkey to stop the script. That could be fishy, because Esc is a very usable key which may result in a not needed tested script kill . Maybe you can apply less widespread key or key combo , or make it adjustable.
The hotkey for this (~*Escape::Tester.Exec.Terminate()) is also set near the top of the script, though not in the Settings array. You should be able to change it easily without any side effects.
CAH9t wrote:2. Reload button . Could be simple useful Interface improvement . I know that clicking kill two times produces the same outcome, but on the other side there is room aplenty near the kill button .
I pretty much never click the button, I always use Escape and Alt+R. It seems kinda silly to add another button to prevent a single click, but I'm up for the idea of adding another menu item accessible via hotkey. You can configure the menu item hotkeys from the Menus := (search for that in the script file) array, following standard Menu command syntax for the name (in quotes).
CAH9t wrote:3. In some cases the global run button can be useful. Consider to make it chooseable (another button) or at least global\local switch.
This is a fantastic idea that I've never considered. You can expect to see this in a future release.
phaleth

12 Aug 2017, 13:25

For the font I'd go with 'Droid Sans Mono, 11pt' as shown on the picture bellow, or if that's not available then 'DejaVu Sans Mono, 11pt'

CAH9t

13 Aug 2017, 06:45

GeekDude wrote: It already is configurable in the Settings array at the top of the script. I'm looking to change the default setting in that array.
I'm not sure that I've changed it right there, but I have already set the courier new 12 (somewhere :) ) -- with maximized window rather comfortable for my eyes. I've got to grant it to you, your tool is quite customizable.

About reload key subj.
I believe global run button will do the trick with every inconvenience discussed. By the way, I'm more into reload function as a concept. Button or hotkey or magic words are just the details )) .
geek

14 Aug 2017, 22:25

The poll is closing soon! It looks like I'll probably be going with Consolas 12. I tried using Consolas 10 and honestly it's not any larger than Consolas 9. The lines on some of the characters are just moved slightly over. I'm wondering if people voted for 10 because they like 10, or because they just wanted it to be larger than the current font.

phaleth wrote:For the font I'd go with 'Droid Sans Mono, 11pt' as shown on the picture bellow, or if that's not available then 'DejaVu Sans Mono, 11pt'
AHK is primarily a Windows tool so, as much as I like those fonts, I must use a default that will be available on Windows. It will still be a simple matter to change the default font to whatever you want, though, so it shouldn't end up being an issue.
boiler

14 Aug 2017, 22:44

I would interpret it as you have more votes for keeping it about the same. I voted for 10, and I'd much rather have 9 than 12.
geek

14 Aug 2017, 22:59

I'm also completely ignoring 11pt fonts, and bold/non-bold varieties. 11pt non-bold seems like it might be nice, especially as a middle ground between 10 and 12.

(left to right 12pt, 11pt, 10pt. Top to bottom, non-bold and bold)
boiler

15 Aug 2017, 02:52

I agree, but the 11 bold looks good too. Seems easier to read.

Return to “Scripts and Functions (v1)”