Word processing hotkeys

Post your working scripts, libraries and tools for AHK v1.1 and older

Word processing hotkeys

03 Feb 2015, 21:23

Here are some scripts I came up with to help me with typing.

CapsLock::Home ;Moves cursor to beginning of line. Can be used with Shift to highlight everything between the cursor and the beginning of the line

LCtrl::End ;Moves cursor to end of line. Is positioned so that Shift + End is easy to do

LWin::Ctrl ;We needed to put Ctrl somewhere after we took it away in the above line. Not sure if LCtrl is any different from Ctrl

RCtrl::LWin ;The Win button is now in a convenient spot to use Win + Arrow Keys in order to move windows around

RAlt::Send,{AppsKey}{Sleep 300}{Down} ;This hotkey brings up the spell check dialogue and highlights the first option whenever your cursor is on a word with a red line under it

!Up::Send,{Up 5}
!Down::Send,{Down 5} ;Alt + Up. Makes cursor go up 5 lines. There are other options for this hotkey but they have problems. Shift + Up/Down removes the ability to
highlight words with Shift + Up/Down. I couldn't get Ctrl + Up/Down to work either. Ctrl + Left/Right surprisingly work though

!Left::Send,{Left 5} ;The default function of Ctrl + Left/Right is to move to the next word. I prefer the reliability of always moving 5 spaces
!Right::Send,{Right 5}

Thoughts? Suggestions? What do you use when typing?

I am also open to anyone's scripts they use often. I'm looking for a dictionary and thesaurus search hotkey.
guest3456

Re: Word processing hotkeys

04 Feb 2015, 01:08

Colemak keyboard layout remaps Capslock to Backspace, I tried it for a while but I found that I use CAPS too often. Other people never use Capslock so it might be better for them. But Backspace is one of the most pressed keys and efficiency definitely would go up to have it moved closer to home row. Just takes some time to retrain your fingers/brain

BGM

04 Feb 2015, 20:32

Here is what I like to use.
I push alt+space to select an entire line.
It works in edit boxes and in the save dialogue - anywhere.

!space::send, {home}+{end}

I have another keyboard macro for ctrl+space that puts my cursor in Instantbird and back.

^space::IMFocuser()

Code: Select all

IMFocuser(){
	global
	WinGetActiveTitle, curwin
	instantbird := " - Instantbird"   ;the title of the typing window is something like "Name of Person - Instantbird" --I confirm that the " - " is always in the title, complete with the two spaces on either side of the hyphen.	
	IfInString, curwin, %instantbird%		;IfInString, curwin, MirandaNG-IM
	{
		winactivate, %lastwin%
		lastwin := curwin
	}else{
		lastwin := curwin
		;send, ^!{numpad9}			;hotkey to activate most recent unread message in Miranda
		winactivate, %instantbird%
	}
}
Last edited by BGM on 05 Feb 2015, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
ozzii

05 Feb 2015, 01:21

@BGM
You meant alt+space right ;)

05 Feb 2015, 06:08

Very nice. I will try out both of those. Now to figure out where I will move the home key to. Backspace seems very useful to have on CapsLock.
submeg

08 Feb 2021, 06:02

guest3456 wrote:
04 Feb 2015, 01:08
Colemak keyboard layout remaps Capslock to Backspace, I tried it for a while but I found that I use CAPS too often. Other people never use Capslock so it might be better for them. But Backspace is one of the most pressed keys and efficiency definitely would go up to have it moved closer to home row. Just takes some time to retrain your fingers/brain
If you change the way CapsLock behaves, you can make it so CapsLock only engages if you double press it. It's originally from Dave Kellog, but I can't find it on his blog, but I did find it HERE.
submeg

08 Feb 2021, 06:05

Guest wrote:
03 Feb 2015, 21:23
Here are some scripts I came up with to help me with typing.

CapsLock::Home ;Moves cursor to beginning of line. Can be used with Shift to highlight everything between the cursor and the beginning of the line

Thoughts? Suggestions? What do you use when typing?

I am also open to anyone's scripts they use often. I'm looking for a dictionary and thesaurus search hotkey.
I really like the CapsLock = Home; I have now implemented it. Thanks!
I also added +CapsLock = End, for completeness.

One thing that I would suggest is using the splitting the AutoCorrect.ahk script out so that any new Hotstrings are added to your own personal typing file, as opposed to adding to the end of the AutoCorrect.ahk script.
boiler

08 Feb 2021, 07:03

submeg wrote: I also added +CapsLock = End, for completeness.
That negates the following possibility, of course:
Guest wrote: Can be used with Shift to highlight everything between the cursor and the beginning of the line
submeg

10 Feb 2021, 02:36

boiler wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 07:03

That negates the following possibility, of course:
Guest wrote: Can be used with Shift to highlight everything between the cursor and the beginning of the line
Ah I missed that, I could use ^Caps instead? Shifting all those keys around would take a while to get used to..

Edit: Hmm, I tried that, and even did the following, but it would only go home, it wouldn't select the text as well?

+CapsLock::

Send, {LShift}{LCtrl}{Home}				;where CapsLock = Home

Return 

boiler

10 Feb 2021, 06:26

submeg wrote: Hmm, I tried that, and even did the following, but it would only go home, it wouldn't select the text as well?

+CapsLock::

Send, {LShift}{LCtrl}{Home}				;where CapsLock = Home

Return 

Why are you creating this hotkey? The point was to not make a hotkey out of +CapsLock because it prevents Shift+CapsLock from selecting the text to the beginning of the line. A new hotkey isn’t needed for that to work. It already does that by nature of CapsLock::Home. Your +CapsLock hotkey interfered with that capability. Changing your hotkey to ^CapsLock removes the interference.

Return to “Scripts and Functions (v1)”