MsgBox Creator Integration into Notepad++

Scripting and setups with Notepad++ and AutoHotkey.
boiler

MsgBox Creator Integration into Notepad++

05 Apr 2017, 22:38

I like having MsgBox Creator integrated into the editor like it is in SciTE4AutoHotkey, so I did the same for Notepad++. I thought others might want to do the same, so I am providing the files and integration steps I used. This same approach would be used to add buttons for any other tools you'd like to add to the toolbar.

Thanks to Thalon for his original Messagebox-Creator script and to fincs for the button icon I copied from SciTE4AutoHotkey.

1. Download and unzip the attached file, which contains the MsgBox Creator for Notepad++ script (modified to send its output directly to Notepad++), an icon file, and a bmp image file (for the toolbar button). Keep the script and the icon in the same folder.
MsgBox Creator for Notepad++.zip
(2.75 KiB) Downloaded 1414 times
2. Create a Menu Item in Notepad++
  • In Notepad++, go to the "Run" menu and select "Run..." (or the equivalent if your NP++ menus are in a language other than English)
  • In the window that appears, click the "..." button to browse and identify the MsgBox Creator script you just saved. You'll need to change the file type to "All files : (*.*)" to see .ahk files.
  • After you have selected the file, click the "Save..." button in the "Run..." window. In the "Shortcut" window that appears, enter "MsgBox Creator" for the name and select a keyboard shortcut if you'd like (although it's not necessary), then click "OK".
  • Click "Cancel" in the "Run..." window. You should now see a menu item under the "Run" menu called "MsgBox Creator". You can now run it from the menu.
3. Create a Button on the Toolbar (Optional)
  • Install the "Customize Toolbar" plugin using the "Plugin Manager".
  • In the "Plugins" menu, select "Customize Toolbar" and select "Custom Buttons" (it will have a check mark next to it when it has been selected).
  • Go to the Notepad++ plugin config folder (typically "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++\plugins\config") and edit the file "CustomizeToolbar.btn". It will probably have two example lines in it if you just enabled Custom Buttons for the first time, which you can delete (if you don't delete them, a hammer icon will appear on the toolbar for each). Add the line below and save the file.
    Run,MsgBox Creator,,,MsgBox btn.bmp ("Run" needs to match whatever the menu actually is in your language)
  • Copy or move the "MsgBox btn.bmp" file (not the .ico file) from the zip file to the config folder.
  • Restart Notepad++. You should see a new button on the toolbar that launches MsgBox Creator for Notepad++.
Last edited by boiler on 20 Apr 2017, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
Helgef

Re: MsgBox Creator Integration into Notepad++

10 Apr 2017, 15:05

Very nice with the Send to notepad++. This also serves as a general guide for adding stuff to the toolbar, very useful. Thanks for sharing. :wave:
haichen

14 Apr 2017, 06:28

You may have to change Run,MsgBox Creator,,,MsgBox btn.bmp according to your menu language. So if you for instance run Notepad++ in german/deutsch it has to be Ausführen,MsgBox Creator,,,MsgBox btn.bmp.

Also thanks for sharing it!
boiler

20 Apr 2017, 19:08

Glad you guys like it. Thanks for the feedback. :thumbup: Even though there seems to be a relatively small number of users of NP++ for AHK, everyone sharing their tools is making it quite useful for those of us that do.
Helgef wrote:This also serves as a general guide for adding stuff to the toolbar, very useful.
Yeah, I'm about to post another one that I recently implemented that I use even more often. It would be good to keep adding to the library of stuff for the toolbar.
haichen wrote:You may have to change Run,MsgBox Creator,,,MsgBox btn.bmp according to your menu language. So if you for instance run Notepad++ in german/deutsch it has to be Ausführen,MsgBox Creator,,,MsgBox btn.bmp.
That is a good point that I didn't think of. Thank you. I edited the first post to mention that.
rediffusion

15 Dec 2019, 13:26

@boiler

How can I make from your "MsgBox Creator" visually like this (it's compressed and compact)!? This is the same "MsgBox Creator" but it's from @maestrith's IDE, I like it more and I want to build in.
Is this possible?
Respond! :)
boiler

15 Dec 2019, 22:35

You can modify the Gui commands to make it look any way you want.

Return to “Notepad++”