Once you have it set up per below as a menu item, shortcut key, toolbar button, or all three, it will do the appropriate one of the following:
- If text is selected, it will run the selection as an AHK script through a pipe (no file is created).
- If no text is selected and the file has been saved to a file, it will save it again if there were changes since the last save, then run the script from its saved location.
- If no text is selected and the file has never been saved, it will run the entire script through a pipe (no file is created).
1. Download and unzip the attached file, which contains the script and a bmp image file (only needed if you will be creating a toolbar button). (updated 2017-05-05 with version that ensures proper working directory)
2. Create a Menu Item in Notepad++
- In Notepad++, go to the "Run" menu and select "Run..." (or the equivalent if your NP++ menus are in a language other than English)
- In the window that appears, click the "..." button to browse and identify the RunScript_notepad++.ahk script you just saved. You'll need to change the file type to "All files : (*.*)" to see .ahk files.
- After you have selected the file, click the "Save..." button in the "Run..." window. In the "Shortcut" window that appears, enter "Run Script" for the name and select a keyboard shortcut if you'd like (although it's not necessary), then click "OK".
- Click "Cancel" in the "Run..." window. You should now see a menu item under the "Run" menu called "Run Script". You can now run it from the menu.
- If you haven't already, install the "Customize Toolbar" plugin using the "Plugin Manager".
- Also if you haven't done so already, in the "Plugins" menu, select "Customize Toolbar" and select "Custom Buttons" (it will have a check mark next to it when it has been selected).
- Go to the Notepad++ plugin config folder (typically "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++\plugins\config") and edit the file "CustomizeToolbar.btn". It will probably have two example lines in it if you just enabled Custom Buttons for the first time, which you can delete (if you don't delete them, a hammer icon will appear on the toolbar for each). Add the line below and save the file.
("Run" needs to match whatever the menu actually is in your language)
- Copy or move the "Run btn.bmp" file from the zip file to the config folder.
- Restart Notepad++. You should see a new button on the toolbar that will run your scripts.