SciTE4AutoHotkey v3.0.06.01 Lexikos' DebugVars build [Updated 12th July 2017]

The popular SciTE-based AutoHotkey Script Editor
evilC

SciTE4AutoHotkey v3.0.06.01 Lexikos' DebugVars build [Updated 12th July 2017]

12 Jul 2017, 16:37

This is not my work. I am merely packaging the work of Fincs and Lexikos for easy consumption by the community.

The main Scite4AutoHotkey thread is here

What does it do?
It brings enhanced functionality to SciTE4AutoHotkey, including:
DebugVars
A really nice little variable browser that allows you to explore variables and objects, and stays expanded as you step through code.
To open it, once debugging, click the icon under the mouse cursor in the screenshot above
AHK_H and AHK_L compatible.

Breakpoints in included files
If you place a breakpoint in an included file, then start debugging the main script, the breakpoint will now be hit.

Installing

1. Install regular S4AHK from here
  2. Run S4AHK and let it update, then close it
  3. Download the zip attached to this post, and extract it's contents into your Scite folder, overwriting.

Build Notes
I found it less than trivial to build this thing, so for others wishing to build it (And to jog my memory in future), here is how it is done:

Base instructions that I drew this from are here and here.

Pertinent posts in the main thread (Mainly to stop me having to dig around if I need to refer to them again)

You will need the following applications to build:
  • CygWin
    When installing CygWin, at the stage when it pops up the packages, you need to add the "patch" package (Select "Full" from the dropdown and search for "patch"). If you miss it, just re-run the installer
  • Visual Studio 2015 or greater (Community edition is free, works fine)

Build process:
  1. Clone S4AHK repo from https://github.com/Lexikos/SciTE4AutoHotkey
    The folder you clone to will be referred to as <GithubFolder>
  2. Extract the contents of scite360.tgz to <GithubFolder>
    You may need to extract twice - the first time should yield scite360.tar, then extract again
    <GithubFolder> should now contain the following folders:
    installer
    scintilla
    scipatches
    scite
    source
  3. Open a Cygwin prompt to <GithubFolder>\source
  4. Execute patch -p1 < scipatches/S4AHK.patch
  5. Double-click <GithubFolder>\SciTE4AutoHotkey.sln to open the project in Visual Studio
  6. At the top of the screen, make sure the two dropdowns are set to Release and Win32
  7. Select Build -> Build Solution
  8. Copy SciTE.exe and SciLexer.dll from <GithubFolder>\bin\debug\x86 to <GithubFolder>\source
  9. Take a copy of the latest 32-bit Unicode AutoHotkey.exe, rename it InternalAHK.exe and place it in <GithubFolder>\source

The contents of <GithubFolder>\source is now a patch, you can copy the contents of this folder over an existing Scite4Autohotkey install to update it.
Attachments
SciTE4AHK.zip
(1.72 MiB) Downloaded 208 times
Last edited by evilC on 09 Aug 2017, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
gregster

Re: SciTE4AutoHotkey v3.0.06.01 Lexikos' DebugVars build [Updated 12th July 2017]

12 Jul 2017, 18:21

Thank you, EvilC - and of course Fincs and Lexikos - for putting this together. Seems to work fine and will surely be useful for debugging! I always wanted to look into the abilities of the DebugVars script... and Scite4AHK I already use. So, that's perfect!
Taurus

Re: SciTE4AutoHotkey v3.0.06.01 Lexikos' DebugVars build [Updated 12th July 2017]

14 Aug 2017, 08:19

Perfect! Thank you, EvilC and all the others.

I created a small improvement for working with F12, maybe you are interested in modifying this file:

Code: [Select all] [Expand] [Download] GeSHi © Codebox Plus

Dev for a better world :) > PHP for Web > AHK H for Local > with KISS (Keep it Short and Simple) on Win 10 Pro (Version 1703) x64
MPD

05 Nov 2017, 08:31

This is great set of added functionality as I'm keep all my classes in one ugly file at the moment, just because of the breakpoint issue this addresses. However, I've seen an odd issue where the performance when you're debugging grinds to a halt using this version of the code.

Stepping through code on the standard 3.0.06.01 build in real-time, after this mod, often takes several seconds per F10/F11 step. Using ANSI as a platform if that matters. Happy to help provide further diagnostics if you let me know what you need
lexikos
GitHub: Lexikos

30 Nov 2017, 16:34

The DebugVars window tends to display a lot more information than the original variable list, and requires a proportionate number of DBGp requests. If it slows down, try minimising some object nodes. (I've not seen it quite as slow as MPD described, but it may depend on the system and the amount of information displayed.)
evilC

04 Dec 2017, 06:57

I have seen it happen with no nodes open. Sometimes it takes like up to 30 seconds to step over a line, even in a very simple script.
MPD

04 Dec 2017, 08:55

confirmed - when I'm seeing the issue there are no nodes open, but quite a complex object hierarchy

Return to “SciTE4AutoHotkey”