Installed PMC bundleware, should I reinstall OS?

Advanced Macro Recorder/Editor.

Moderator: Pulover

Noob444

Installed PMC bundleware, should I reinstall OS?

20 Aug 2023, 12:26

So I foolishly used the installer from Pullovers site and bundleware was installed. I now know I should have used the source code from github. Does anyone know how dangerous this is? I obviously immediately removed web companions and ran a scan. I've seen some people suggest once webcompanion is installed you should reinstall the entire Operating System since you don't know if more dangerous malware has been installed as well. Should I do this or are they being paranoid? Is it possible to tell if any other malware is secretly installed with webcompanion?
The pinned post about installation says
The author of PMC claims the optional software is risk-free. AutoHotkey makes no claims regarding the safety of installing the optional software.
Can I take the author's word on it? On the one hand if there is more dangerous malware bundled with it, it would hurt his reputation. On the other hand he doesn't seem to be affiliated with any major organisations and he bundled webcompanion on his installer. Sorry if these are all stupid questions. It's the first time I've installed malware and I'm not sure how cautious to be.
rockitdontstopit

Re: Installed PMC bundleware, should I reinstall OS?

20 Aug 2023, 14:59

I installed PMC from the Pulover's site about 1.5 years ago. Don't see webcompanion installed or anything else besides PMC. I know people have complained about additional things being installed regarding PMC, but as far as I know I don't see anything on my PC. Maybe I'm missing something...
rockitdontstopit

20 Aug 2023, 15:32

Nevermind, just found Lavasoft Web Companion on my PC...

At least the folder was there. Never showed up on Malwarebytes as a PUP. Didn't show as installed in Revo Uninstaller. So I just deleted the Lavasoft folder.

Anyway, I uninstalled PMC, downloaded the PMC exe from github. Installed this and there was an option to "decline" Web Companion installation so I declined. Don't see a Lavasoft folder.
Noob444

21 Aug 2023, 11:48

Thanks! I guess if it's been on your PC for a year and half without any obvious effects it probably doesn't install anything else.

Return to “Pulovers Macro Creator”