AutoGUI not working as intended anymore - "Show/Hide Preview Window" broken Topic is solved

Old Topics related to the original "AutoGUI" ahk script editor.
MuellerB

AutoGUI not working as intended anymore - "Show/Hide Preview Window" broken

05 Nov 2017, 13:49

I'm having some trouble with AutoGUI, as the "Show/Hide Preview Window" button is not working anymore. As soon as I create a new project with a blank GUI, it works for this specific file. Other, existing files don't work anymore. I've seen some other, not answered threads in here. Maybe someone is so kind to help in this matter?
MuellerB

Re: AutoGUI not working as intended anymore - "Show/Hide Preview Window" broken

06 Nov 2017, 11:44

I forgot: to reproduce you open AutoGUI, create a new GUI. add a button or any other element and save the file. When you close and re-open, it should be impossible to open the preview. Also, in the top tab, where the filename is displayed, the icon to its left changes from a blank document symbol to a document symbol with a purple-ish "H" inside.

I hope this helps :)
atom5ive

02 Oct 2018, 15:21

I'm having this exact problem as well. Still. Literally word from word what the other guy says. I tried last three versions of this program. I create the gui save it. Close the program, re-run, an it will no longer display the preview.
SOTE

03 Oct 2018, 03:35

If you are referring to "Editor Mode" and "Design Mode", my understanding is that you should be saving the GUI as a .session, not just saving the GUI, if you want to work on it later. The Saved sessions are .session versus .ahk. Then you would load the session.

However, I have run into problems with multiple saved sessions, where this feature stopped working for unknown reasons. Even deleting and then unzipping updated versions of AutoGUI didn't help. In those situations, you could import your GUI, that was saved as a .ahk.

Code: Select all

"File", "Import", and then "Parse Script".

This then works to get back the GUI, where you can play with it in "Design Mode", as long as you saved it as a .ahk. It will not help to recover the .session files created by AutoGUI. I would suggest saving the GUI as both a .session and a .ahk, to make sure that if anything happens, you can always recover it and work on it with AutoGUI later. Just a workaround, I'm sure or hope there is a better way.
Alguimist

03 Oct 2018, 07:56

Looks like there's some confusion going on here.
- Scripts generated by the GUI designer are not saved in a special file format. If you want to reopen it later in the GUI designer, you have to inform AutoGUI to do so by going to File > Import GUI.
- The session file is simply a list of all opened filenames, also indicating the active file. In the same way, when you save a session in a web browser, only the addresses are saved, not the page contents.
SOTE wrote:I have run into problems with multiple saved sessions, where this feature stopped working for unknown reasons.
Sessions should be saved in "AutoGUI\Sessions" or (if there is no permission to write in the folder) "%APPDATA%\AutoGUI\Sessions". If not, they will not appear in the Sessions submenu, and they can only be loaded from there. I have to substitute the save dialog in this case, because it allows the session file to be saved elsewhere.
SOTE

03 Oct 2018, 16:43

Alguimist wrote:Looks like there's some confusion going on here.
- Scripts generated by the GUI designer are not saved in a special file format. If you want to reopen it later in the GUI designer, you have to inform AutoGUI to do so by going to File > Import GUI.
- The session file is simply a list of all opened filenames, also indicating the active file. In the same way, when you save a session in a web browser, only the addresses are saved, not the page contents.
SOTE wrote:I have run into problems with multiple saved sessions, where this feature stopped working for unknown reasons.
Sessions should be saved in "AutoGUI\Sessions" or (if there is no permission to write in the folder) "%APPDATA%\AutoGUI\Sessions". If not, they will not appear in the Sessions submenu, and they can only be loaded from there. I have to substitute the save dialog in this case, because it allows the session file to be saved elsewhere.
If I understand you correctly, you meant sessions to just be links to presently opened GUIs that you are working on, so the file should always be saved as .AHK. If the person wants to play with it in "Designer Mode" later, then File > Import GUI > Parse Script. That's pretty much how I do it.

I think where people possibly get confused is thinking sessions was a saved format, because when first designing the GUI, you can come back to it before closing AutoGUI. Also, Parse Script says (Not Recommended) which likely refers to Windows Cloning (that can be used for Non-AHK programs). However, the File > Import GUI > Parse Script option works for .AHK scripts and your own AHK scripts made with AutoGUI, allowing you to go back into "Designer Mode" anytime later to make more changes.

Anyway, your program is very good, and is a good way to make GUIs.
Todd L

19 May 2019, 09:45

I was tripped up by this as well. Brand new to AHK and working on my first "program". One more note for others that are new to AutoGUI and are getting stuck with F11 "Show/Hide Preview Window" not working.
You need to close the .AHK file BEFORE doing File > Import GUI > Parse Script > your.AHK file. If you dont close from the file tabs near the bottom first it will fail to parse with no message.

To the Author of AutoGUI, "thank you". Its difficult to get started on your first projects in AHK if one is not a software developer. Your program is extremely helpful and I would probably have given up without it.
manehscripts

11 Jun 2019, 19:23

Todd L wrote:
I was tripped up by this as well. Brand new to AHK and working on my first "program". One more note for others that are new to AutoGUI and are getting stuck with F11 "Show/Hide Preview Window" not working.
You need to close the .AHK file BEFORE doing File > Import GUI > Parse Script > your.AHK file. If you dont close from the file tabs near the bottom first it will fail to parse with no message.

To the Author of AutoGUI, "thank you". Its difficult to get started on your first projects in AHK if one is not a software developer. Your program is extremely helpful and I would probably have given up without it.
Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Stop to think, shut up to resist, and act to win!
hotesi

Re: AutoGUI not working as intended anymore - "Show/Hide Preview Window" broken  Topic is solved

12 Oct 2023, 01:43

Todd L wrote:
Insta ProI was tripped up by this as well. Brand new to AHK and working on my first "program". One more note for others that are new to AutoGUI and are getting stuck with F11 "Show/Hide Preview Window" not working.

Has the issue with show/hide preview window in autogui been resolved in recent updates, and are there any workarounds for this problem?
I think it's a valuable tool, and I'd like to use it effectively for my AHK projects.
vaypay

28 Feb 2024, 13:03

You need to close the .AHK file BEFORE doing File > Import GUI > Parse Script > your.AHK file
This did not work for me. It simply does nothing.
However when I run the saved ahk script for the GUI and clone it with the Window Cloning Tool, it produces an editable GUI.
But on my first use of it there was one missing widget out of ten. So, not 100% reliable.

I use the version made for AHK v2: https://github.com/samfisherirl/Easy-Auto-GUI-for-AHK-v2

Return to “Old Topics”