Does AutoHotkey_H Mitigate DLL Injection ?

Ask for help, how to use AHK_H, etc.
elmo

Does AutoHotkey_H Mitigate DLL Injection ?

30 Jun 2017, 08:02

Hello,

I recently saw a demo wherein "DLL Injection" occurred with an AutoHotkey_L executable. I do not understand "DLL Injection" or exactly what happens when compiling but "assume" that user32.dll is included in the exe. Does AutoHotkey_H behave the same way ?

Thank you in advance for your time and attention.
elmo

Re: Does AutoHotkey_H Mitigate DLL Injection ?

30 Jun 2017, 09:45

HotKeyIt,

Thank you for the timely response. I followed the link and it "appears" to describe how you can inject autohotkey commands in to other programs. Of course I do not understand the process so I could be reading it wrong.

My interest is to keep other programs from interacting with MY compiled autohotkey scripts. So I am curious whether your AutoHotkey_H distribution reduces, or complicates, or (hopefully) blocks external programs from affecting my programs.

I have never tried AutoHotkey_H but would try it immediately if it makes my compiled exe programs more secure against dll injection.

Again, thank you for you time and attention.
guest3456

30 Jun 2017, 10:38

elmo wrote: My interest is to keep other programs from interacting with MY compiled autohotkey scripts. So I am curious whether your AutoHotkey_H distribution reduces, or complicates, or (hopefully) blocks external programs from affecting my programs.

I have never tried AutoHotkey_H but would try it immediately if it makes my compiled exe programs more secure against dll injection.
Dll Injection is a feature of Windows so I don't think any software can prevent it.

elmo

30 Jun 2017, 10:45

guest3456,

Wow, now that is interesting. Then why is it generally treated as a negative feature if any Windows program can be subjected to it?

Are there different kinds; ie. off system versus same OS context?

No need to respond because you have answered the questions, and clearly, I am now just trying to learn more so I can explain it to my team ;-)
elmo

30 Jun 2017, 11:04

HotKeyIt,

Apologies for revisiting the original question even after guest3456 provided a general answer.

Do exe programs created with your AutoHotkey_H compiler respond to dll injection differently than programs created with AutoHotkey_L ?

Thanks again from a layperson.
HotKeyIt

30 Jun 2017, 11:27

No, with regards to Dll injection it is the same.
There are still ways to prevent Dll injection but you can't protect it 100%.
AHK_H has some anti-debugging features as well as source code protection, but dll injection is just a windows feature.
elmo

30 Jun 2017, 11:44

HotKeyIt,

Copy that and thank you for your expert input. At least I can say with confidence that my programs have the same characteristics as any other programs. Guess that makes dll injection a feature, and NOT a bug.

As for source code protection, that is also of interest. However, even after reading and re-reading descriptions of how to install and use AutoHotkey_H, it does not entirely make sense.

It "appears" there is a source code method and also a "replace files" method. I am not clear on whether the "file replace" method actually obfuscates the code or if I would HAVE to compile the source to achieve that benefit.

Is there a "best practices" description of the install process here on your forum that you can point me to in the event that I overlooked it?

Again, your time and expertise are greatly appreciated.
HotKeyIt

30 Jun 2017, 15:32

To have proper protection you will need to recompile AutoHotkey.exe with a different password from the source code: https://github.com/HotKeyIt/ahkdll
Password AutoHotkey is hardcoded here: https://github.com/HotKeyIt/ahkdll/blob ... .cpp#L3200
And you need the proper length for the password which is defined in g_default_pwd, search source for this variable!
You will need at least change the password or even better replace it with a function that generates a password dynamically based on index.

Return to “Ask for Help”