How to disable CTRL+ALt+DEL

Put simple Tips and Tricks that are not entire Tutorials in this forum
skribb

How to disable CTRL+ALt+DEL

07 Jul 2017, 10:09

this isn't really an AHK tutorial so I apologize in advance for being slightly off-topic, however it is relevant to AHK applications

I'm working on a transparent screen lock which I know that many others have done here with varying levels of success. The problem usually is that you can still reach Task Manager via CTRL+ALT+DEL, and even tho you can block all HID input (meaning, while Task Manager will launch, you can't really touch anything since keys and mouse are non-functional), it still feels like a security compromise to even be able to launch Task Manager in the first place.

A good workaround for this is to simply remove the Task Manager button from the Windows lock screen.

Simply start gpedit.msc and then go to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Ctrl Alt Del Options and from there you can remove all buttons that appear on the CTRL ALT DEL screen making the only available button the Cancel button.

NOTE: this will disable task manager completely on your system. I suggest you use Process Explorer instead, it's developed by "Microsoft" (i.e bought when SysInternals were acquired by MS).
hmedia

Re: How to disable CTRL+ALt+DEL

10 Jul 2021, 20:24

Why people waste their energy trying to build these lock screen solutions is beyond me. Disabling task manager in favor of an autohotkey solution is an all round terrible idea. Address the problem directly.
skribb

11 Jul 2021, 14:24

hmedia wrote:
10 Jul 2021, 20:24
Why people waste their energy trying to build these lock screen solutions is beyond me. Disabling task manager in favor of an autohotkey solution is an all round terrible idea. Address the problem directly.
bruh
reinebuttermilch

22 Aug 2021, 09:52

skribb wrote:
07 Jul 2017, 10:09
Simply start gpedit.msc and then go to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Ctrl Alt Del Options and from there you can remove all buttons that appear on the CTRL ALT DEL screen making the only available button the Cancel button.

NOTE: this will disable task manager completely on your system. I suggest you use Process Explorer instead, it's developed by "Microsoft" (i.e bought when SysInternals were acquired by MS).
Very helpful. Thanks!
skribb

23 Aug 2021, 16:32

no problem, glad it came of use. :dance:

Return to “Tips and Tricks (v1)”