Get the monitor number that the mouse is in? Topic is solved

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
Ralf_Reddings200244

Get the monitor number that the mouse is in?

07 Apr 2024, 18:06

For some time now, I have been using the function, GetMonitorIndexFromWindow() by shinywong, to get the monitor number, the window is inside of, its very reliable.

Code: Select all

GetMonitorIndexFromWindow(windowHandle)
{
	; Starts with 1.
	monitorIndex := 1

VarSetCapacity(monitorInfo, 40)
	NumPut(40, monitorInfo)

if (monitorHandle := DllCall("MonitorFromWindow", "uint", windowHandle, "uint", 0x2)) 
		&& DllCall("GetMonitorInfo", "uint", monitorHandle, "uint", &monitorInfo) 
	{
		monitorLeft   := NumGet(monitorInfo,  4, "Int")
		monitorTop    := NumGet(monitorInfo,  8, "Int")
		monitorRight  := NumGet(monitorInfo, 12, "Int")
		monitorBottom := NumGet(monitorInfo, 16, "Int")
		workLeft      := NumGet(monitorInfo, 20, "Int")
		workTop       := NumGet(monitorInfo, 24, "Int")
		workRight     := NumGet(monitorInfo, 28, "Int")
		workBottom    := NumGet(monitorInfo, 32, "Int")
		isPrimary     := NumGet(monitorInfo, 36, "Int") & 1

SysGet, monitorCount, MonitorCount

Loop, %monitorCount%
		{
			SysGet, tempMon, Monitor, %A_Index%

; Compare location to determine the monitor index.
			if ((monitorLeft = tempMonLeft) and (monitorTop = tempMonTop)
				and (monitorRight = tempMonRight) and (monitorBottom = tempMonBottom))
			{
				monitorIndex := A_Index
				break
			}
		}
	}

return %monitorIndex%
}
Today, I am in need of a method for getting the monitor number of the monitor the mouse pointer is inside of. I have looked around and have not found anything useful.

The closest I have managed to get is MDMF_FromPoint() by just me, I say close because, when I use this function it returns a monitor handle:

msgBox,% MDMF_FromPoint() ;prints ---> 1093800931

MDMF_FromPoint(X := "", Y := "") {
	VarSetCapacity(PT, 8, 0)
	If (X = "") || (Y = "") {
		DllCall("User32.dll\GetCursorPos", "Ptr", &PT)
		If (X = "")
			X := NumGet(PT, 0, "Int")
		If (Y = "")
			Y := NumGet(PT, 4, "Int")
	}
	Return DllCall("User32.dll\MonitorFromPoint", "Int64", (X & 0xFFFFFFFF) | (Y << 32), "UInt", 0, "UPtr")
}
If someone could share with me how to convert a monitor handle to a monitor number, I would really appreciate it

@just me, if I may ask you, do you have a way of getting your function (shown above) to return a monitor number, rather than a monitor handle?

Thanks for any help!
iseahound

Re: Get the monitor number that the mouse is in?  Topic is solved

07 Apr 2024, 18:31

Replace MinitorFromWindow with the following 2 functions:

; Get the current monitor the mouse cursor is in.
   DllCall("GetCursorPos", "uint64*", point:=0)
   hMonitor := DllCall("MonitorFromPoint", "uint64", point, "uint", 0x2, "ptr")
Rohwedder

Re: Get the monitor number that the mouse is in?

08 Apr 2024, 02:24

Hallo,
try:

Monitors := MDMF_Enum()
q::ToolTip,% Monitors[MDMF_FromPoint()].Num "`nmonitor number that the mouse is in"

; iPhilip:	https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4606&p=266388#p266388
; ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Name ..........: MDMF - Multiple Display Monitor Functions
; Description ...: Various functions for multiple display monitor environments
; Tested with ...: AHK 1.1.30.01 (A32/U32/U64) and 2.0-a100-52515e2 (U32/U64)
; Original Author: just me (https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4606)
; Mod Author ....: iPhilip
; Changes .......: Modified MDMF_Enum() so that it works under both AHK v1 and v2.
; ................ Modified MDMF_EnumProc() to provide Count and Primary keys to the Monitors array.
; ................ Modified MDMF_FromHWND() to allow flag values that determine the function's return value if the
; ................    window does not intersect any display monitor.
; ................ Modified MDMF_FromPoint() to allow the cursor position to be returned ByRef if not specified and
; ................    allow flag values that determine the function's return value if the point is not contained within
; ................    any display monitor.
; ................ Modified MDMF_FromRect() to allow flag values that determine the function's return value if the
; ................    rectangle does not intersect any display monitor.
;................. Modified MDMF_GetInfo() with minor changes.
; ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
;
; ======================================================================================================================
; Multiple Display Monitors Functions -> msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd145072(v=vs.85).aspx =======================
; ======================================================================================================================
; Enumerates display monitors and returns an object containing the properties of all monitors or the specified monitor.
MDMF_Enum(HMON := "") {
   Static CallbackFunc := Func(A_AhkVersion < "2" ? "RegisterCallback" : "CallbackCreate")
   Static EnumProc := CallbackFunc.Call("MDMF_EnumProc")
   Static Monitors := {}
   If (HMON = "") ; new enumeration
      Monitors := {Count: 0}
   If (Monitors.MaxIndex() = "") ; enumerate
      If !DllCall("User32.dll\EnumDisplayMonitors", "Ptr", 0, "Ptr", 0, "Ptr", EnumProc, "Ptr", &Monitors, "Int")
         Return False
   Return (HMON = "") ? Monitors : Monitors.HasKey(HMON) ? Monitors[HMON] : False
}
;  Callback function that is called by the MDMF_Enum function.
MDMF_EnumProc(HMON, HDC, PRECT, ObjectAddr) {
   Monitors := Object(ObjectAddr)
   Monitors[HMON] := MDMF_GetInfo(HMON)
   Monitors.Count++
   If (Monitors[HMON].Primary)
      Monitors.Primary := HMON
   Return True
}
; Retrieves the display monitor that has the largest area of intersection with a specified window.
; The following flag values determine the function's return value if the window does not intersect any display monitor:
;    MONITOR_DEFAULTTONULL    = 0 - Returns NULL.
;    MONITOR_DEFAULTTOPRIMARY = 1 - Returns a handle to the primary display monitor. 
;    MONITOR_DEFAULTTONEAREST = 2 - Returns a handle to the display monitor that is nearest to the window.
MDMF_FromHWND(HWND, Flag := 0) {
   Return DllCall("User32.dll\MonitorFromWindow", "Ptr", HWND, "UInt", Flag, "Ptr")
}
; Retrieves the display monitor that contains a specified point.
; If either X or Y is empty, the function will use the current cursor position for this value and return it ByRef.
; The following flag values determine the function's return value if the point is not contained within any
; display monitor:
;    MONITOR_DEFAULTTOPRIMARY = 1 - Returns a handle to the primary display monitor. 
;    MONITOR_DEFAULTTONEAREST = 2 - Returns a handle to the display monitor that is nearest to the point.
MDMF_FromPoint(ByRef X := "", ByRef Y := "", Flag := 0) {
   If (X = "") || (Y = "") {
      VarSetCapacity(PT, 8, 0)
      DllCall("User32.dll\GetCursorPos", "Ptr", &PT, "Int")
      If (X = "")
         X := NumGet(PT, 0, "Int")
      If (Y = "")
         Y := NumGet(PT, 4, "Int")
   }
   Return DllCall("User32.dll\MonitorFromPoint", "Int64", (X & 0xFFFFFFFF) | (Y << 32), "UInt", Flag, "Ptr")
}
; Retrieves the display monitor that has the largest area of intersection with a specified rectangle.
; Parameters are consistent with the common AHK definition of a rectangle, which is X, Y, W, H instead of
; Left, Top, Right, Bottom.
; The following flag values determine the function's return value if the rectangle does not intersect any
; display monitor:
;    MONITOR_DEFAULTTONEAREST = 2 - Returns a handle to the display monitor that is nearest to the rectangle.
MDMF_FromRect(X, Y, W, H, Flag := 0) {
   VarSetCapacity(RC, 16, 0)
   NumPut(X, RC, 0, "Int"), NumPut(Y, RC, 4, "Int"), NumPut(X + W, RC, 8, "Int"), NumPut(Y + H, RC, 12, "Int")
   Return DllCall("User32.dll\MonitorFromRect", "Ptr", &RC, "UInt", Flag, "Ptr")
}
; Retrieves information about a display monitor.
MDMF_GetInfo(HMON) {
   NumPut(VarSetCapacity(MIEX, 40 + (32 << !!A_IsUnicode)), MIEX, 0, "UInt")
   If DllCall("User32.dll\GetMonitorInfo", "Ptr", HMON, "Ptr", &MIEX, "Int")
      Return {Name:      (Name := StrGet(&MIEX + 40, 32))  ; CCHDEVICENAME = 32
            , Num:       RegExReplace(Name, ".*(\d+)$", "$1")
            , Left:      NumGet(MIEX, 4, "Int")    ; display rectangle
            , Top:       NumGet(MIEX, 8, "Int")    ; "
            , Right:     NumGet(MIEX, 12, "Int")   ; "
            , Bottom:    NumGet(MIEX, 16, "Int")   ; "
            , WALeft:    NumGet(MIEX, 20, "Int")   ; work area
            , WATop:     NumGet(MIEX, 24, "Int")   ; "
            , WARight:   NumGet(MIEX, 28, "Int")   ; "
            , WABottom:  NumGet(MIEX, 32, "Int")   ; "
            , Primary:   NumGet(MIEX, 36, "UInt")} ; contains a non-zero value for the primary monitor.
   Return False
}
Ralf_Reddings200244

Re: Get the monitor number that the mouse is in?

08 Apr 2024, 09:00

wow you guys, I was not expecting to so much help. Thank you to all of you. All three answers gave me what I needed! Cheers!

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”