YouTube Ad blocker ban

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
roysubs

YouTube Ad blocker ban

14 Oct 2023, 06:38

So, YouTube now pump this onto every page you load.

Would be great if someone with knwledge of detecting images could automate something to close that window when it is shown to us so that we can get on with watching videos as we please (with ad blockers still on). Seems like a perfect job for AutoHotkey, and if anyone has built something like this I'd really appreciate having that?
image.png
image.png (51.83 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
RussF

Re: YouTube Ad blocker ban

14 Oct 2023, 07:28

Soapbox warning here:

You could just pay for the content that thousands of people invest tens of thousands of hours creating. Everyone wants something for nothing.

End of soapbox.

Russ
V0RT3X

14 Oct 2023, 09:26

@RussF, that's hilarious!! LOL
image.png
image.png (222.91 KiB) Viewed 1159 times

@roysubs, a solution could be as simple as using a different adblocker. I use Adblock Plus and get no adds. I have heard others have great success with uBlock Origin?
RussF

14 Oct 2023, 10:41

Yes, I know - it's hilarious ... right up until you are the one investing time and money to put content out there and wondering why you're not getting any ad revenue - then it's not so funny anymore.

Russ
roysubs

12 Nov 2023, 08:01

V0RT3X wrote:
@roysubs, a solution could be as simple as using a different adblocker. I use Adblock Plus and get no adds. I have heard others have great success with uBlock Origin?
Sadly, uBlock Origin is also detected. They seem to have this wrapped up. I was using Adblock Plus. Has anyone had success in blocking the ludicrous and annoying ad-crap on YouTube since this policy was rolled out? Need to find a way around this, Google are getting worse and worse, so would be good to get a solid way to eradicate the sludge they keep trying to force on us! :)
garry

12 Nov 2023, 09:08

can see youtube videos , howto ... :)
or google
but youtube/google has later a solution to prevent this ...
Maybe this is a 'Off-topic Discussion' ?
viewforum.php?f=17
---------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psjgCU3zt4U
https://github.com/TheRealJoelmatic/RemoveAdblockThing
------------------

Youtube's campaign is educationg normies that adblockers exist ....
------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GARcKCaUfI
-- YouTube's adblock war is backfiring in the worst way possible 🤣
00:00 - Intro
00:16 - People installing better adblockers
00:40 - Rule #1 of the internet - don't tell people what to do...
02:40 - The streisand effect
03:55 - My own channel is filled with people who watch ads
04:30 - Youtube's campaign is educationg normies that adblockers exist
05:52 - People are tired of ads that have gone too far
06:27 - Product comparisons demonstrate that the internet is for ads and affiliate commissions
07:11 - The problem with the ad supported internet
08:57 - I stand by my assertion that youtube is not a profitable company
09:56 - The conflict of interest
11:40 - A better world starts with us
13:00 - The controversial hot take
13:55 - Anti-sponsor spot - Intuit Quickbooks, horrible software
---------------------
Last edited by garry on 12 Nov 2023, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
andymbody

12 Nov 2023, 09:22

For some reason I get no ads when using Chrome. Strange.
Sakscratch

14 Nov 2023, 02:21

RussF wrote:
14 Oct 2023, 10:41
Yes, I know - it's hilarious ... right up until you are the one investing time and money to put content out there and wondering why you're not getting any ad revenue - then it's not so funny anymore.

Russ
How about if we can at least skip the ones we know by heart from seeing them a billion times? Would that be fair, or??

TV promised "ad free" cable access back in the 70's (yes I'm that old) and they've been taking the cable fees and putting ads on top for decades now. Yes, they've been double-dipping, and it only gets worse and worse and worse. I have zero sympathy for them and support ad blocking for just that reason.
Sakscratch

19 Nov 2023, 20:52

roysubs wrote:
12 Nov 2023, 08:01
V0RT3X wrote:
Sadly, uBlock Origin is also detected. They seem to have this wrapped up. I was using Adblock Plus. Has anyone had success in blocking the ludicrous and annoying ad-crap on YouTube since this policy was rolled out? Need to find a way around this, Google are getting worse and worse, so would be good to get a solid way to eradicate the sludge they keep trying to force on us! :)
Brave works for me. No need for uBlock or anything else. Ads on YT are non-existent for me (my current Brave is v1.60.118 with 'Tracking and Ad Blocker' setting at "Aggressive").
roysubs

21 Nov 2023, 12:34

Sakscratch wrote:
Brave works for me. No need for uBlock or anything else. Ads on YT are non-existent for me (my current Brave is v1.60.118 with 'Tracking and Ad Blocker' setting at "Aggressive").
I made a fairly interesting discovery last week. Before I saw the further notes here, I thought that Brave might be the answer, so on a laptop that I use, I installed Brave last week and indeed, no ads. I then logged into my google account so that I can see my subscriptions etc (from the YouTube page only, by selecting login from the YouTube page), and again, no ads! However, when I got back home, I went to my main PC, and thought I'd go full hog, so after installing Brave, it prompts you if you would like to migrate your profile from Chrome, so I thought I'd give that a shot and bam, full-ad-nightmare!! So the profile import screwed everything up, even on Brave...

This weekend, I'll do a full Windows refresh on my system from the Settings > Update > Recovery > Reset (it needs a cleanout anyway) and then going to install Brave and try just doing the login on the YouTube page. Fingers crossed, this is going to be a workable solution longterm. 🤞
Xtra

21 Nov 2023, 12:52

You will want to use a non chromium based browser. (IMO)

FireFox + UBlock Origin has been working for me. I would suggest not logging in with your google account. (it may or may not work)
After a week of using youtube it has figured out what I want to watch based on what it's showing for suggestions.
I use FireFox only for youtube.
Sakscratch

21 Nov 2023, 21:01

roysubs wrote:
21 Nov 2023, 12:34
Sakscratch wrote:
I made a fairly interesting discovery last week. Before I saw the further notes here, I thought that Brave might be the answer, so on a laptop that I use, I installed Brave last week and indeed, no ads. I then logged into my google account so that I can see my subscriptions etc (from the YouTube page only, by selecting login from the YouTube page), and again, no ads! However, when I got back home, I went to my main PC, and thought I'd go full hog, so after installing Brave, it prompts you if you would like to migrate your profile from Chrome, so I thought I'd give that a shot and bam, full-ad-nightmare!! So the profile import screwed everything up, even on Brave...

This weekend, I'll do a full Windows refresh on my system from the Settings > Update > Recovery > Reset (it needs a cleanout anyway) and then going to install Brave and try just doing the login on the YouTube page. Fingers crossed, this is going to be a workable solution longterm. 🤞
Sounds like you have some pretty good evidence already. Curious to hear the outcome of your upcoming experiment, indeed.
roysubs

04 Dec 2023, 08:44

I tested things on a completely clean instance of Brave, and it does seem to work (has been working for a few days, still no ads), so, *never* do a Chrome profile import into Brave, that seems to give them enough information to shove ads to you via YouTube, even on Brave. Load a clean instance of Brave, and do *not* import a Chrome profile. Go to YouTube, then manually log into the site with your YouTube login, and then ads will be perfectly and cleanly blocked.

Apart from this, on another system, I am still using Chrome, and I've settled on @garry's solution above with the TamperMonkey script which is great! https://github.com/TheRealJoelmatic/RemoveAdblockThing . It's not 100% perfect, as you get these 1 second blips whenever an ad tries to start before TamperMonkey does it's magic and automatically expells it, but you don't need to do anything, the video just continues to play and a 1 second blip every 5 to 10 minutes is not a nuisance at all! Nice thing about this is that you can continue to use Chrome if that is your preference.
Sakscratch

12 Dec 2023, 17:07

roysubs wrote:
04 Dec 2023, 08:44
I tested things on a completely clean instance of Brave, and it does seem to work (has been working for a few days, still no ads), so, *never* do a Chrome profile import into Brave, that seems to give them enough information to shove ads to you via YouTube, even on Brave. Load a clean instance of Brave, and do *not* import a Chrome profile. Go to YouTube, then manually log into the site with your YouTube login, and then ads will be perfectly and cleanly blocked.

Apart from this, on another system, I am still using Chrome, and I've settled on @garry's solution above with the TamperMonkey script which is great! https://github.com/TheRealJoelmatic/RemoveAdblockThing . It's not 100% perfect, as you get these 1 second blips whenever an ad tries to start before TamperMonkey does it's magic and automatically expells it, but you don't need to do anything, the video just continues to play and a 1 second blip every 5 to 10 minutes is not a nuisance at all! Nice thing about this is that you can continue to use Chrome if that is your preference.
Thanks for the update! It's a good feeling to be able to confirm a suspicion like that.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”