Cannot open and edit autohotkey script

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
Kova

Cannot open and edit autohotkey script

04 Oct 2018, 02:11

Hi everyone. So I'm new to using AHK and I'm having a problem opening a AHK scripted program my friend sent to me. I downloaded it from dropbox. I then installed ahk 64 bit. I tried to open the script but it says error at line 6, the script called Functions cannot be included. The edit script option is also missing so I can't edit it. I tried to install 32 bit but it doesnt fix the problems. Any assistance would be appreciatrd.

Re: Cannot open and edit autohotkey script

04 Oct 2018, 02:57

It probably means it can't find a library or #include file where the function(s) is available.

As you know where the file is you can simply start notepad (run menu, type notepad, enter) and use the file open menu to open the file - you may need to change it to "show all files" if you don't see yourscript.ahk - you can also drag & drop the script to a text editor, you don't specifically need to use the right click/tray/context menu "Edit scipt" option.

Notepad may not be the best editor for scripts as there are several dedicated AHK editors which you can find here:
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=60 (AHK Studio, AutoGUI and SciTE4AutoHotkey)
SL5

04 Oct 2018, 03:17

may use ahk editors

examples
AHK-Studio
AutoGui
SciTE4AutoHotkey
actionList used in g_IntelliSense and is a short list only
visualstudio code vscode autohotkey plugin
btw i prefer AHK-Studio for the moment

for finding files of includes i prefer using
the tool calles everywhere
Kova

04 Oct 2018, 15:30

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ztwhkhsq8xoz ... fa?dl=0&m=

This is the file I have trouble opening. To open you should click Chat file. For unknown reason I can't open it. Any idea what to do? My friend can open it however on his computer
Kova

04 Oct 2018, 23:50

Please advise me on how to open the file
gregster

05 Oct 2018, 00:14

The chat.ahk file seems to include the file DeniseFunctions.ahk - a library file with certain functions. Download that one, too, and place it in the same directory like chat.ahk.

In general, an AHK file is nothing else than a normal text file with another file extension. If you have trouble downloading from Dropbox, just copy all lines of a script and paste it to a fresh text file on your computer (and give it the file extension ".ahk"; ideally, keep the names of the original files).
If there a non-ascii characters in the script, make sure to save the text file as Unicode (UTF-8 with BOM): https://autohotkey.com/docs/FAQ.htm#nonascii

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”