Better edit control Topic is solved

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
ahketype

Better edit control

16 Nov 2018, 11:07

Hi, I'm looking for a better edit control for text display and editing. I'm not particularly bothered about multi-tabbed interface, but more just having control over fonts and formatting. I did find HiEdit mentioned, and found the github for it https://github.com/majkinetor/mm-autoho ... HiEdit.ahk but I'm a bit of a noob and don't know how to use it (github is a mysterious place to me, like neverland).

I'm also not sure if this is what I need. I'm not looking for something to edit my text files in, but a GUI control I can put in windows to display rich text. Alternatively, I wondered about putting a web browser into my GUI and loading it with HTML. But it should be something users can edit directly, so that seems less likely to work.

Could you advise - would HiEdit be the best thing to use, and how do I use it? Do I download all of the files and recreate the same structure on my drive, or just the HiEdit.ahk (to #include or put in a library, presumably), the dll? Are there any instructions, or do I just have to read the code and work it out? I also found an old link that's defunct, both to the download and documentation...on a thread asking for votes whether to include it in AHK as standard.
oif2003

Re: Better edit control  Topic is solved

16 Nov 2018, 12:16

If you run v2 you can try my modified version of Class_RichEdit which mimics the properties and methods of builtin Edit Control (be the first Guinea pig to test drive that and let me know how it goes). Otherwise, another option is to look into the original v1 version of Class_RichEdit and work through the examples there.

Class_RichEdit for AHK v1: https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic ... t=richedit
Class_RichEdit for AHK v2: https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59043
jeeswg

Re: Better edit control

16 Nov 2018, 14:02

- RichEdit and Scintilla are the controls that spring to mind.
- When I asked re. Edit control alternatives, Scintilla seemed quite popular.
Edit control alternative for GUI commands, colour individual lines - AutoHotkey Community
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27117
- RichEdit might be the better option, it doesn't require an external dll, and may be easier to work with.
- I have one or two RichEdit and Scintilla functions here:
GUIs via DllCall: text functions (get/set internal/external control text) - AutoHotkey Community
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=40514
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
ahketype

16 Nov 2018, 18:52

Thanks guys, that's great. I went to just me's github and got those files, and the sample worked fine. That'll give me something to figure out! How do you normally download files from github, btw? I didn't see a Download button. I first tried right-clicking and Save link as... (Firefox), which usually downloads most files, but I got what looks like the containing web page html. I then opened each file, clicked [Raw], then copied and pasted the whole page into my editor to save it as the relevant file type. I'd have thought there was a simpler way.

I'll set oif2003's reply as the solution, although both look good. I hadn't actually realised v2 was out (it's a while since I did any AHK programming), but the website says it's alpha, so until I really need it I'll probably stick with v1.
oif2003

16 Nov 2018, 19:21

Glad we're able to help! As for GitHub, I usually click on the green Clone or Download button within each repository to get the zip file with everything in it.
ahketype

16 Nov 2018, 19:53

oif2003 wrote:
16 Nov 2018, 19:21
Glad we're able to help! As for GitHub, I usually click on the green Clone or Download button within each repository to get the zip file with everything in it.
Oh yes, silly me. :lol:
jeeswg

16 Nov 2018, 22:26

- I right-click the 'Raw' button to download an individual file.
- Or I click the 'Clone or download' button to download a zip.
- If the 'Clone or download' button isn't available, I navigate to the repository's main page.
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
ahketype

17 Nov 2018, 08:07

jeeswg wrote:
16 Nov 2018, 22:26
- I right-click the 'Raw' button to download an individual file.
Ah, that's a handy tip. Thanks.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”