Send keypress to inactive Brave browser (chromium, change Tab hotkey for inactive browser window) Topic is solved

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v2 or newer) and its commands and hotkeys
emp00

Send keypress to inactive Brave browser (chromium, change Tab hotkey for inactive browser window)

20 Apr 2024, 10:50

Dear Team, I'm trying to set up a simple hotkey-script to send Ctrl-1 to a running but inactive Brave browser instance in order to activate Tab No. 1.

Found out that a single ControlSend does not work in such cases but here I found the following v1 script: "This is the seamless way to do it in Chrome and Edge and presumably other Chromium browsers; it doesn't change focus or the active window. I've been using this for years to send Win+Alt+x combinations to YouTube TV running in inactive windows."
(Note that I chancged "YTTVWinTitle" for my case to "ahk_exe brave.exe" since I just want to send the hotkey to "any" Brave instance, knowing the Ctrl-1 hotkey works in all tabs)

Code: Select all

ControlGet, ctrlID, Hwnd, , Chrome_RenderWidgetHostHWND1, ahk_exe brave.exe
if (ctrlID)
{
    ControlFocus, , ahk_id %ctrlID%
    ControlSend, Chrome_RenderWidgetHostHWND1, ^{1}, ahk_exe brave.exe
}
I converted this to v2 with the Quickconverter but it throws "Error: Missing a required parameter." at the ControlFocus line ...
Can somebody help fixing this? I have seen that in v2 ControFocus needs the "Control" parameter, apparently this changed from v1?
Maybe a better solution works for v2, only boundary condition I have is -> it should not change focus of the active window...

ctrlID := ControlGetHwnd("Chrome_RenderWidgetHostHWND1", "ahk_exe brave.exe")
if (ctrlID)
{
    ControlFocus(, "ahk_id " ctrlID)
    ControlSend("^{1}", "Chrome_RenderWidgetHostHWND1", "ahk_exe brave.exe")
}
mikeyww

Re: Send keypress to inactive Brave browser (chromium, change Tab hotkey for inactive browser window)

20 Apr 2024, 11:53

Apparently this changed from v1?
You need not wonder, because AHK comes with documentation that you can examine.
Control: The control's ClassNN, text or HWND, or an object with a Hwnd property. For details, see The Control Parameter.
Source: ControlFocus - Syntax & Usage | AutoHotkey v2
To get a window's controls, you can use :arrow: WinGetControls.
emp00

Re: Send keypress to inactive Brave browser (chromium, change Tab hotkey for inactive browser window)

20 Apr 2024, 12:39

mikeyww wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 11:53
controls, you can use :arrow: WinGetControls.
Ok, using WinGetControls I found that ahk_exe brave.exe has the controls "Chrome_RenderWidgetHostHWND1", "Chrome_RenderWidgetHostHWND2" etc.; Using this information I added "Chrome_RenderWidgetHostHWND1" to the script but now it throws Error: Target control not found. for the ControlFocus line. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help.

ctrlID := ControlGetHwnd("Chrome_RenderWidgetHostHWND1", "ahk_exe brave.exe")
if (ctrlID)
{
    ControlFocus("Chrome_RenderWidgetHostHWND1", "ahk_id " ctrlID)
}
emp00

20 Apr 2024, 12:45

I made it !! :-)

This does the trick with "just" two lines - looks a little bit overdone, but it works! Can this be further simplified to just one line?

ControlFocus("Chrome_RenderWidgetHostHWND1", "ahk_exe brave.exe")
emp00

20 Apr 2024, 14:48

Unfortunately the above was NOT working reliably - ControlSend obviously has frequent problems with inactive chromium windows :-(

In the end I created this quite complex script for a simple task - this now works, but it flickers the windows due to the WinActivate switching action between two windows. Using the SetSystemCursor and RestoreCursor scripts was helpful removing the mouse flickering back & forth, but the WinActivate window bar flickering remains. Not ideal. If anybody has a better idea, maybe a workaround which makes ControlSend work reliable with inactive brave / chrome / chromium browser windows, pls let me know.

SavedActiveWindowID := WinActive("A") ; Save active window
CoordMode "Mouse", "Screen"
MouseGetPos &SavedMouseXPos, &SavedMouseYPos ; Save mouse position

If WinExist("ahk_exe brave.exe")
{
	SetSystemCursor() ; Briefly deactivate the mouse cursor to avoid flickering appearance on the brave window
	WinActivate("ahk_exe brave.exe")
	Send("^{1}")
	Sleep 100 ; Needs a short sleep for chromium/brave to register and execute the keypress
	WinActivate("ahk_id " . SavedActiveWindowID) ; Returns focus to initially active window
	RestoreCursor() ; Restore mouse cursor
}
Else
	MsgBox("ERROR: Brave browser window not found!`n`nahk_exe brave.exe",, "O IconX 262144 T3")

MouseMove SavedMouseXPos, SavedMouseYPos, 0 ; Restore mouse position, speed 0 = fastest	
ExitApp
Noitalommi_2

Re: Send keypress to inactive Brave browser (chromium, change Tab hotkey for inactive browser window)  Topic is solved

20 Apr 2024, 15:36

Hi.

@emp00
Please try this script, it sends Ctrl+1 to all existing Brave Browser windows without losing the focus of the current window.

#Requires AutoHotkey 2.0
#SingleInstance

F1:: {

Hwnds := WinGetList("ahk_exe brave.exe")
	For , Hwnd in Hwnds {

PostMessage(WM_ACTIVATE := 0x0006 , 1, Hwnd,, "ahk_id" Hwnd)
		ControlSend("^{1}",, "ahk_id" Hwnd)
	}
}
emp00

21 Apr 2024, 05:24

Noitalommi_2 wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 15:36
Please try this script, it sends Ctrl+1 to all existing Brave Browser windows without losing the focus of the current window.
Thank you very much! It works, so far - tested under several conditions, seems to be reliable! THANKS!!

Fyi, I checked the Hwnds array, at least in my case (Brave running with around 15 Tabs open) it has only one single entry and it's the "ahk_id". So the For loop may be overkill - however, I found it's relevant in case multiple Brave browser windows are running - then it indeed sends Ctrl-1 to all Brave browser windows. Thanks for even thinking of this, excellent solution!

Return to “Ask for Help (v2)”