Hotkey to Change Laptop Brightness Topic is solved

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
poetofpiano

Hotkey to Change Laptop Brightness

12 Aug 2017, 23:23

I have a Dell laptop and am trying to figure out how to set a hotkey in Autohotkey to control the screen brightness that is different from the default brightness hotkeys on my laptop, which don’t register in Autohotkey when I press them. I have researched this to death but cannot find a solution. The most promising post I found was at https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic ... 1&p=126135 which uses the Windows native brightness function to adjust the screen brightness just like I want (I am not interested in using Autohotkey to create a GUI that dims the screen). But for some reason that script doesn’t work for me. I followed the instructions for that script at https://www.reddit.com/r/AutoHotkey/com ... ss_script/ and it just doesn’t work. The following is what the log reads when I try to execute the hotkey to change the brightness:

Code: Select all

222: BS.SetBrightness(-10)  
034: if (increment == 0 && !jump)  
040: if (!forceDifferentScheme ? DllCall(PowerGetActiveScheme, "Ptr", 0, "Ptr*", currSchemeGuid, "UInt") == 0 : DllCall("powrprof\PowerDuplicateScheme", "Ptr", 0, "Ptr", forceDifferentScheme, "Ptr*
077: }
222: Return (0.25)
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
qwerty12

Re: Hotkey to Change Laptop Brightness  Topic is solved

13 Aug 2017, 05:33

poetofpiano wrote:But for some reason that script doesn’t work for me. I followed the instructions for that script at https://www.reddit.com/r/AutoHotkey/com ... ss_script/ and it just doesn’t work.
Replace the copied class with this one (or just save it as BrightnessSetter.ahk and do the usual library thing if you'd prefer):
The version you have is an old one, where it assumes powrprof.dll is always loaded (thanks to jeeswg, I found out it wasn't)...

EDIT: You're welcome, poetofpiano! Thanks for being the fourth person to use the script! :-)
Last edited by qwerty12 on 13 Aug 2017, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
poetofpiano

Re: Hotkey to Change Laptop Brightness

13 Aug 2017, 13:37

Thank you both so much. qwerty12, your suggestion worked perfectly, thank you!
jamesbermudean

06 Oct 2017, 15:40

Hello, I am newbie here, but I have been using AutoHotkey since some years ago.
I was looking for a way to control my laptop's brightness, and your script seems to be the solution.
I am getting an error (Call to nonexistent function), and I have read that powrprof.dll is not loaded, but I don't know how to load it or fix it.
Any help would be much appreciated (I'm using Windows 10, x64, updated to last version).
Thank you so much :)
qwerty12 wrote:
poetofpiano wrote:But for some reason that script doesn’t work for me. I followed the instructions for that script at https://www.reddit.com/r/AutoHotkey/com ... ss_script/ and it just doesn’t work.
Replace the copied class with this one (or just save it as BrightnessSetter.ahk and do the usual library thing if you'd prefer):
The version you have is an old one, where it assumes powrprof.dll is always loaded (thanks to jeeswg, I found out it wasn't)...

EDIT: You're welcome, poetofpiano! Thanks for being the fourth person to use the script! :-)
Christopher

13 Dec 2020, 01:07

A simple way to do it.

Code: Select all

; gist.github.com/krrr/3c3f1747480189dbb71f
#,::
  AdjustScreenBrightness(-3)
  Return

#.::
  AdjustScreenBrightness(3)
  Return

AdjustScreenBrightness(step) {
    service := "winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\WMI"
    monitors := ComObjGet(service).ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM WmiMonitorBrightness WHERE Active=TRUE")
    monMethods := ComObjGet(service).ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM wmiMonitorBrightNessMethods WHERE Active=TRUE")
    minBrightness := 5  ; level below this is identical to this

for i in monitors {
        curt := i.CurrentBrightness
        break
    }
    if (curt < minBrightness)  ; parenthesis is necessary here
        curt := minBrightness
    toSet := curt + step
    if (toSet > 100)
        return
    if (toSet < minBrightness)
        toSet := minBrightness