Documentation website upgrade

Discussion about the AutoHotkey Foundation and this website
hobboy

Documentation website upgrade

03 Nov 2017, 20:58

Firstly sorry if this isn't the appropriate subforum, I also couldn't find an existing topic. The announcement area might be more appropriate, but that's not for me make.

It looks like the documentation website has been given a face-lift, I like it! I haven't explored too much but here are some comments:

- works great on mobile
- Opening menu items in a new tab now works better
- the 'Edit' button is awesome, I might try to make some contributions

Some other things I noticed (minor issues, not important)
- Changing language from en -> de. On the de website the language button is still 'en' rather than 'de'
- my first impression of the v2 button was that it linked the open v1 topic to its v2 counterpart, but it just links to the v2 start page. Might be a lot of work to implement this.
jeeswg

Re: Documentation website upgrade

03 Nov 2017, 22:32

For me at the moment, all pages are actually simpler than usual, e.g. the same as usual but with the pane on the left missing. I'm using Windows 7 and I tested on Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome.

E.g. link:
FormatTime
https://autohotkey.com/docs/commands/FormatTime.htm

Does that link look different to how it used to look?

Which browser and OS are you using? Thanks.
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
jeeswg

03 Nov 2017, 23:09

@A_AhkUser: Thanks for your response, however, I got the same results with all 3 browsers, when I added the 'www' on my laptop.
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
hobboy

03 Nov 2017, 23:16

Here's what it looks like for me. I'm win7 x64 using chrome. I'm in Australia, maybe it hasn't propagated to everyone yet
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (209.93 KiB) Viewed 5549 times
jeeswg

03 Nov 2017, 23:33

@hobboy: Many thanks. If I go here and click Deutsch in the top-right corner, I get something that looks similar.

FormatTime
https://lexikos.github.io/v2/docs/comma ... atTime.htm

Hmm maybe it's like New Year's Day, in some countries it's tomorrow earlier. Or maybe one of the main devs lives there? Hmm, exciting, does this mean that AHK v2 is coming soon?
gregster

04 Nov 2017, 02:03

I have no problems on Win7 64bit with Firefox 64bit. The left index is present when I click the 'Commands' link from the forum. Adding www to the adress breaks it, though, including the new design.
Edit: Chrome and IE are showing the index, too.
Ragnar

04 Nov 2017, 04:31

For a full list of new features and changes, see pull request on GitHub.
hobboy wrote:Changing language from en -> de. On the de website the language button is still 'en' rather than 'de'
I've already noticed it and submitted a fix. See here.
hobboy wrote:my first impression of the v2 button was that it linked the open v1 topic to its v2 counterpart, but it just links to the v2 start page.
The problem is that not every v1 page has a v2 counterpart, and vice versa. In addition, the structure of the v2 documentation could change significantly in the future.
jeeswg wrote:...the same as usual but with the pane on the left missing...
Does JavaScript actually work on your system? When you open DevTools in Chrome by pressing the F12 key, do you see any error messages in the console?
jeeswg

04 Nov 2017, 04:58

@Ragnar: I did F12, clicked on Console, clicked on a different help page link, didn't see anything appear in the console. It's possible I need to update something, but then, I do update Windows every time there's a yellow icon, and Firefox/Chrome auto-update I believe.

To clarify what I said earlier if I go the link below and click Deutsch in the top-right corner, I get something that looks like hobboy's screenshot.

FormatTime
https://lexikos.github.io/v2/docs/comma ... atTime.htm
Ragnar

04 Nov 2017, 05:51

Open a new tab, press F12, click on network tab, insert https://autohotkey.com/docs/AutoHotkey.htm into the address bar, you should see something like this (it has to be this way to ensure that the documentation is opened for the first time):
Attachments
docs.png
docs.png (59.54 KiB) Viewed 5549 times
jeeswg

04 Nov 2017, 05:58

I see some stuff in the Network tab, it says 6 rather than 10 requests. I see content.js, but not the other .js files. Virus checker issue? (Apologies, but I don't want to state what virus checkers I use.)
Ragnar

04 Nov 2017, 08:19

Maybe. Did you exactly follow my instructions? If you check the network activity after the documentation has been opened initially, only the 6 requests are visible. The data_* files are loaded only once. If necessary, you can open a new Chrome window instead of opening a new tab. Make sure the Network tab is selected in DevTools before opening the documentation for the first time.
joedf

04 Nov 2017, 09:03

As a reference point for all, please try this temporary link to see what the new docs look like.
https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/AutoHotkey0.htm

@hobboy Thanks for the location. This confirms my guess, the cloudflare cache is simply not yet updated in certain parts of the world...
jeeswg wrote:Hmm, exciting, does this mean that AHK v2 is coming soon?
No, this is purely an update to the docs with major contributions from Ragnar. :+1:
There is no set date for ahk_v2. That is on lexikos' agenda but there is no particular date. He will determine when it will be considered "stable" (as in non-alpha, ready for production use, etc.), even though it is in my experience pretty stable.
However, it is still subject to major language changes and other breaking changes.
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
jeeswg

04 Nov 2017, 11:08

https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/AutoHotkey0.htm
- Works great, looks great, cheers joedf.
- Hmm, Cloudflare cache not updated, interesting.
- Well done Ragnar, you've been doing a lot of good stuff on the AHK GitHub.
That is on lexikos' agenda but there is no particular date.
Have you been in communication? Everybody's been curious about this obviously. Anyway, that is good to hear.
However, it is still subject to major language changes and other breaking changes.
Language changes? What, is AHK going to use C# instead of C++? jk.
joedf

04 Nov 2017, 23:17

About ahk2, just little tidbits of info here and there over the years.

Lol. Breaking changes and everything else listed on the ahk v2 page.
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
jeeswg

07 Nov 2017, 08:09

OK, just now, for the first time, I saw the standard webpage with the new format, with horizontal toolbar and pane on the left, earlier today, it was just showing no pane on the left and no horizontal toolbar. Cheers.

'3 lines house en v1 pen'

[EDIT:] Working correctly on Internet Explorer, but no index pane or toolbar on Firefox or Chrome.

Return to “About This Community”