Hotstring doesn't trigger in Excel 2010

Report problems with documented functionality
Mufkatar

Hotstring doesn't trigger in Excel 2010

04 Jul 2018, 09:49

Hello, good people of the Internet,

hear my tale of woe. I love AHK, but am having a wee spot of trouble getting it to trigger when I type a hotstring in the search box within Excel 2010.
My code is included below; basically, I want to manually open the search box in Excel, enter a search term while in "basic search mode", and finish off by typing my hotstring (++a in this case).
It should then remove the hotstring, and perform a few keyboard maneuvers that switches mode to "advanced search", toggles the search scope to include the entire workbook, and execute a "Find all".
Please note that the actual keystrokes sent are specific to the Danish localized version of Excel, so in case you try it for yourself as-is, it's likely to not yield the desired result.
Right now, it mostly yields no result at all, as AHK ignores the hotstring, unless it is the very first thing (leftmost) in the search box!
But I want to enter it as the last thing (naturally).

Code: Select all

:*:++a::
SendInput {Alt Down}l{Alt Up}{Alt Down}d{Alt Up}p{Enter}{Alt Down}n{Alt Up}
return
Many kudos await you if you should crack this puzzle. :D
I'm using the latest regular version of AHK, downloaded today. Running Windows 10 Pro x64.
joefiesta

Re: Hotstring doesn't trigger in Excel 2010

04 Jul 2018, 13:40

I know nothing about excel ... but, it looks like your sending commands to excel. my guess is they are being sent too fast for excel to handle. add some sleeps.
Mufkatar

05 Jul 2018, 07:06

Hi Joe,

thanks for taking time to help me. However, I doubt that delays would do anything, as:
  • The hotstring usually doesn't trigger at all. Not even the first combo is sent to Excel.
  • When it does trigger (when I enter the hotstring as the first characters in the search box), it works perfectly without need for any delays. Only, I want to enter the hotstring at the end of the search term, and it doesn't trigger there at all.
  • Also, when I write this as a hotkey (instead of a hotstring), the same code works fine. It's just that I really want the hotstring to work, as it is much more fluid and fast to use.
joefiesta wrote:I know nothing about excel ... but, it looks like your sending commands to excel. my guess is they are being sent too fast for excel to handle. add some sleeps.
Mufkatar

10 Jul 2018, 08:44

Thanks, I now have, and it seems this is a bug that existed since version 1.1.28.00.

Although the penultimate post in that thread claims that version v1.1.28.01 works well on Excel (2010x64),
I'm running AutoHotkey 1.1.29.01 and Excel 2010x86, and it doesn't work for me.

Return to “Bug Reports”